elkhartjim

Connecting Battery Desulfator

I have a BatteryMINDer Charger, Maintainer, Desulfator that I use to keep my car, tractor, truck batteries maintained. I've never used it on my coach house batteries but I'm exploring that option. I know I can do this through the Magnum but I want to explore this possibility. It appears my 8 wet cell 6v batteries are wired in two separate banks of 4 each and are wired series-parallel. I'm not sure if or where they are combined later. Here is my question, Should I hook the charger/maintainer up to the individual bank of 4? I hope this makes sense.

As long as the bank(s) are wired "out the the coach" as 12 VDC, you can connect to the terminals that go to the house wiring.

Explore with Battery Minder whether their device is adequate for what amp-hr battery bank.  That will tell you if you can charge all together or one bank at a time.

The math: Eight 6 VDC batteries-- likely around 220 amp-hrs each @ 6VDC.  Each of your two separate banks would be 440 amp-hrs @12 VDC.

So, ask Battery Minder if the unit you have is adequate for a 440 amp or 880 amp battery (charging both banks at the same time).

Jim S.  I have the same as you.  I'm on 50 amp shore at house, the only batteries I trickle charge are my 2 Series 31 start batteries!  All mine are AGM's.

I'm interested in desulfating the batteries. I did this with my previous coach coach house batteries and they were 8 years old and still holding a good charge when I sold it. I'm not going to mention using mineral oil in each cell and I'm not going to mention I had no corrosion issues either. 

On 9/23/2019 at 9:27 PM, Elkhartjim said:

I'm interested in desulfating the batteries. I did this with my previous coach coach house batteries and they were 8 years old and still holding a good charge when I sold it. I'm not going to mention using mineral oil in each cell and I'm not going to mention I had no corrosion issues either. 

This Battery Minder model says it works with up to 6, 12V batteries: https://www.batterystuff.com/battery-chargers/12-volt/restore/batteryminder-12v-model-128cec1.html

That should cover your 4,,12V battery bank, plus your coach batteries, if you wish.

Then I won't mention Interstate Battery sells the Battery  MInder version of "mineral oil". https://www.batterystuff.com/battery-restoration/fluid/battery-equaliser-12-ounce-bottle-be12oz.html

If I ever go back to open lead-acid batteries, have been using SLA, I will use that or mineral oil.

It darn sure works. Another benefit is only need to add water about every 10-12 months and there is absolutely no corrosion issues.

We're possibly opening a can of worms, Ray.