Sign in to follow this  
kentwalton

Opinions on 2019 Winnebago Horizon

We currently have a 2008 42' Beaver Contessa. We are considering buying a 2019 or 2020 Winnebago  Horizon 42' coach. I would appreciate input on any or all of the following as it relates to Winnebago coaches. 

How good are they on warranty followup?

How good is the workmen-ship both inside and out? If you are aware, how does the interior and exterior quality compare to a Beaver?

Dealers on the west coast who you recommend to use OR not use?

Any other comments/thoughts positive or negative about Winnebago coaches.

Thanks, Kent   

Welcome to the forum Kent. I would look at the new Winnebago subsidiary Newmar. They bring a (some think) better rep for quality and customer service and are part of Winnebago now.

Bill

Welcome!

The Beaver Brand, Country Coach Brand, was high end coaches up to 2007!  To compare them to a WB, is like Cadillac to WV Bug.  There is none!  IMHO I would remodel the Beaver!  What year is your chassis & engine?  You probably don't have Particulate filter and DEF was added in 2010 to 2010 built engines.

I'm guessing that yours is a 2006, CAT 400.  The last Beaver made was 2010 on a 2006 chassis...Beaver went Bankrupt in 2007.  Country Coach was the first to go in 2006, but used the last of it's chassis for the 500 & 600 hp Veranda model in 2010.

Have you made contact with Beaver in Oregon?  They specialize in remodeling & selling used Beavers!  

I just binged the 2020 Horizon 42Q.  The ad says it's all electric, but lists the amount of propane on board.  The very first thing I noticed in the picture is that the paint scheme on the sides of the coach does not carry on to the sides of the slides.  A minor point, but at nearly  $500k it should have that feature.  It does have the induction cooktop, Aqua Hot and and steerable tag.  The latter is getting to be standard on the higher end coaches.  IMHO, it's something else that can go wrong for very little benefit.  With a GCWR of over 60k, it might be a bit under powered with the 8.9L ISL 450 HP diesel.

Five the reason for the Propane may be that the Aqua Hot might be the Propane Model. As I understand it is very efficient and much less maintenance. A friend of our has a 2017 Entegra that is all electric with the Propane Aqua Hot and he really likes it.

Herman

FIVE.  My thought was about the same.  My 2010 Tradition 45' has a 425 hp, the 2011 model has your 500!  

Herman. Given a choice between AH on propane, I would pick Oasis on diesel.  AH works great in warmer climate, cold not so  much, until  the cold water get's to a higher temp by  propane or electric. (I have Oasis on Natural Gas in my house, Galveston) Joe L. installed propane in his coach, to keep the water going into his AH warm enough!  Oasis, has a much lower temperature setting and much higher BTU output.  More compact unit and easier to work on. 

Aqua Hot runs off Diesel on my Winni. I'm also around 60,000 lbs GCWR and the 450 does fine.

The propane is most likely a 5 gallon removable bottle. Did they give a capacity?  It would be used for the quick connect for grills. They don't proved a propane hose but you can buy a 25 foot one real easy.

The 2015 Winni, mine, was built in 2014. The 2015 lists all electric. I have a 3 burner gas range and a 28 gallo propane tank. Go figure.

We have been operating for 2 years now and the tank still reads full.

Wayne.  Mine came the same way.  I took out the 3 burner, put in a 4 burner electric by Sears & took out the 60 gal bottle.  Makes a great storage bay!  In Dec. the elect will be replaced by Induction!

13 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

The propane is most likely a 5 gallon removable bottle. Did they give a capacity?  It would be used for the quick connect for grills. They don't proved a propane hose but you can buy a 25 foot one real easy.

Wayne, my friends Entegra Aqua Hot runs off his large mounted propane, 30 or 45 gallons size I believe. What he has been told is that he doesn't have to do the yearly maintenance required on the diesel units. His coach is all electric except for the Aqua Hot.

Carl, Wayne in Lone Star, hasn't said  how the temp is at low temperatures so I can't attest to either.

Herman

Herman.  IMHO, I suggest your friend call AH and verify the, "no annual" insp or service!  Gas does burn cleaner!  But...

I would not have an AH that ran on propane.  You can use the electric element for normal use if not too cold and fire up the diesel burner when it gets chilly...no hassle or danger of propane...plus you don't loose a storage bay for the propane, unless it's really small.