Question

9 answers to this question

Traveled it several times in a 33' Class C (gas engine).  As jleamont stated, follow the truck routes through the mountains.  There are some steep grades on Hwy 30 by McConnellsburg and Fort Loudon.

20 hours ago, RevRichard said:

There are some steep grades on Hwy 30 by McConnellsburg and Fort Loudon.

I tried to pull a hill in route to Raystown lake one year up in those neck of the woods. Didn't follow the truck route (followed our Rand McNally GPS) and ended up on a mountain road with switchbacks. It was so steep our C was in 1st gear, full throttle and wouldn't go over 10 mph. The switchbacks were so sharp I needed both lanes and shoulders to come around them. 

Needless to say I followed the truck route to the PA turnpike and went home that way.

Scary experience back then, we laugh about it now.

I took 620 off the Blue Ridge Pwy, thinking it was a short cut to Salem.  Figured that since the 18 wheeler in front of me could do it, I could...that almost ended in disaster!  My 45' coach don't articulate as a logging truck does and it became pea soup fog, half way down!  I got on the BRP coming out off Galax, VA.  My friends was placing bets on me not making the golf rally in NC, when I rolled in!!!  

I followed the RV GPS and it ended up taking me up over Teton Pass in the middle of May.  Ended up in a snow storm.  Now I review the route the GPS gives me with a trucker road atlas.  I do not want to repeat that Teton Pass adventure.

Sunclipper/ I am a retired Pennsylvania based  career trucker and Diesel RV owner.  The route you are enquiring about is US 30. It is 3073 miles long East to West. The stretch between Breezewood and McConnellsburg is no longer marked for big trucks. You would probably be OK with your RV and toad, but when you are done with that stretch, you will probably be asking "why did I do that." I have run it many times over the years in an 18 wheeler, but never enjoyed it. Exit 201  off of the PA Pike and then south on PA997 will take you to US30 and on to Gettysburg. 

"before I take that exit, to the highway in the sky, I'm gonna take old 30 one more time"

Song by CW McCall called "old 30". Talks all about the Lincoln Highway, aka hwy 30.  It was the first transcontinental highway.  Most people think Route 66 has that distinction, but the Lincoln Highway pre-dates it by several years.

US Hwy 50...1926 to present.

US Route 66 is not a coast to coast, it opened in June 1926 and closed in 1985, went from Santa Monica (LA, CA) to Chicago, Ill.

US Hwy 50...1926 to present.

On 9/27/2019 at 6:41 PM, obedb said:

Sunclipper/ I am a retired Pennsylvania based  career trucker and Diesel RV owner.  The route you are enquiring about is US 30. It is 3073 miles long East to West. The stretch between Breezewood and McConnellsburg is no longer marked for big trucks. You would probably be OK with your RV and toad, but when you are done with that stretch, you will probably be asking "why did I do that." I have run it many times over the years in an 18 wheeler, but never enjoyed it. Exit 201  off of the PA Pike and then south on PA997 will take you to US30 and on to Gettysburg. 

Thank you for that info!  I will add that to my Road Atlas as a bypass.