mypopslou

Odd Tire Wear

Recently returned from a 6700 trip this past summer. Noticed some odd tire wear on the drivers side front tire. See pictures attached.

Tires are Michelin XZA2 295/80R-22.5

Have 22,000 miles on them, keep them inflated to 105 lbs cold based on Michelin Tire/Weight Chart, added 10lbs fudge factor.

TPMS shows the pressure increase to max 122 lbs when they heat up, max heat has been 110 degrees, when in traffic, lowers as I get back to cruise speed.

Does it look like a may have an alignment issue or a defective tire (separation issue). Curb side front tire is showing a little outside wear but nothing like the left.

It looks like it is wearing another outside groove in the tread.

Planning on a trip to Cummins for an alignment check and tire rotation which I am hoping is the issue

Take a look at the pictures and let me know if you think there is another issue that would cause this.

Thanks for your help

20190915_195559.jpg

20191001_112820.jpg

Pops, looks to me to be a slight Camber Issue. If you have Independent Front Suspension (IFS) it can be easily remedied with alignment how with a solid front axle then that's an whole other issue. To correct Camber on a Solid Axle you need the equipment to be able to bend the axle. very few of any shops have that ability.  

On thing you may try would be to rotate the front two steering tires. How ever I do not know if Michelin tire are rotation specific.

With 22,000 miles on the tires, may I ask, how old are the tires?

Herman

Have the alignment checked and like Herman asked how old are the tires.  Chances are they will need to be replaced sometime soon.  I have had wear like that and it was the toe-in adjustment.

Tires are the original tires and are only 3 years old, I do have independent front suspension so hopefully an alignment will correct the issue. I have never had tires on any motorhome I have owned rotated. Is this a front to back same side or do the fronts change sides and go the back inner?

Contact HDT repair shops nearby and ask about a total alignment for your brand of chassis. I did that, and they found the rear axle out of alignment by 3/4"(thrust angle) in addition to the front end needing slight adjustments. Now my MH drives almost as easily as my 2013 Silverado PU.

Pop's just saw that in person for the first time this past summer. Carl's coach was the same when he was in PA over the summer, his steer tires just had steel belts sticking out also in the same areas you have accelerated wear :wacko:. First I had ever seen a 22.5 on a steer that chewed up I can only attribute it to IFS and needed an alignment.

If the drive axle tires are the same and are not older I would have the shop break them down and move those to the rear.

J, thats odd as I noticed the wear on my tires when I was in PA, maybe it all their fine roads causing issues.....NOT

All tires are original equipment and are same size and age. I will continue with my plan to making an appointment with Cummins and have the alignment checked and tires rotated

Thanks for your help and suggestions

On 10/1/2019 at 11:41 AM, Mypopslou said:

Recently returned from a 6700 trip this past summer. Noticed some odd tire wear on the drivers side front tire. See pictures attached.

Tires are Michelin XZA2 295/80R-22.5

Have 22,000 miles on them, keep them inflated to 105 lbs cold based on Michelin Tire/Weight Chart, added 10lbs fudge factor.

TPMS shows the pressure increase to max 122 lbs when they heat up, max heat has been 110 degrees, when in traffic, lowers as I get back to cruise speed.

Does it look like a may have an alignment issue or a defective tire (separation issue). Curb side front tire is showing a little outside wear but nothing like the left.

It looks like it is wearing another outside groove in the tread.

Planning on a trip to Cummins for an alignment check and tire rotation which I am hoping is the issue

Take a look at the pictures and let me know if you think there is another issue that would cause this.

Thanks for your help

20190915_195559.jpg

20191001_112820.jpg

If uniform 360° around I would say not a belt separation but the tire design is sensitive to alignment.

I am checking with a contact at Michelin.

RE rotation.  After alignment is checked and adjusted you could swap by changing tire inside to outside assuming the wear is only on one side to the one tire.

Sorry for slow reply was in NY Letchworth St Pk last week  not poor cell reception No reception, no bars on two different phones.

56 minutes ago, tireman9 said:

RE rotation.  After alignment is checked and adjusted you could swap by changing tire inside to outside assuming the wear is only on one side to the one tire.

What are you talking about? This is the drivers side front steer tire not one of the duells. 

Bill

I take "inside to outside" to mean remove the tire from the rim and rotate the tire.  Mount is so what was originally toward the outside is now inboard.

54 minutes ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

What are you talking about? This is the drivers side front steer tire not one of the duells. 

Bill

The driver front has one side of the tire toward the center line of the RV and the other side of the tire is facing the road. If you change the direction of rotation of that tire by dismounting the tire from the wheel then re=mounting it on the wheel that will change the direction of rotation as Brett mentioned.

7 hours ago, bm02tj said:

The tread does not look directional 

It doesn't matter what it "looks like", does it have the arrows cast into the sidewall near the tread.

Bill

8 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

It doesn't matter what it "looks like", does it have the arrows cast into the sidewall near the tread.

Bill

Having a US Patent on directional tread design, in my professional opinion if it was "directional;" it would certainly "look" directional. Another item is that at 22,000 miles if there was some directionality to the pattern initially it appears to have been worn off.

I also note that Michelin does not list Directional design as either a feature or benefit so very unlikely.

Roger, you made me curious, so I went looking and found: https://www.michelintruck.com/assets/pdf/bulletins/TB_ProperDirectionalTires.pdf

That pdf also states, quote: " Operating directional tires from new to 50% worn in the opposite direction of that indicated on the tire will result in the premature onset of irregular wear, excessive noise levels and significantly reduced tread life. "

They will only be on traction tires not rib tires 

I have 3 peak Continental traction tires and they are directional  

Nothing,

It appears that mypopslou has either solved his problem and failed to let us know, or he is just confused with all he has heard.

If mypopslou had not mentioned that his tire were Michelins I would have thought that his tires were GoodRich G670s which have a propensity to wear on the outside in the steer position.

If we don't hear from the OP in a week or so then we should just close the Thread and move on.

Herman

Sorry, I have not made an appointment to have alignment checked yet but will let you know when I do.

If I understand the information provided, I should not have the tires rotated, only my front tires taken off the rim and reversed. I am guessing if I do it for one side I should do it on the other. The right front tire is showing a little bit of outside wear but nothing unusual like the drivers side tire.

Am I correct in my understanding that I should NOT do a full 6 tire rotation, only front off rim and reversed?

Thank you for all of your comments and help

Tireman, point of clarification, would I accomplish the same thing by just swapping front tire sides, left to right and visa versa. Also if I did the 6 tire rotation, what is the recommended movement, front change sides and go to inside dual, insides go to outside and outside goes to front?

Appreciate your advice

If your tire shop checks and wear is the same as rear tire I would change with a rear or rears 

If in doubt replace with new ones  steer tires are the most important