Russandconnie

Weather stations for Class A

We have noticed that a lot of people have a weather station above the rear ladder. We are living near the Pacific Ocean, and wanted something that will help us keep an eye on weather changes, to help us prepare for the hard winds and rain. 

The company that I have heard the most about is the acurite weather station. Does anyone have any experience with any type of weather stations?  We have an ok wireless internet here, don’t know if they all require a decent WiFi or not. 

Looking for recommendations and pros/cons 

We use the weather app on our iPhone to get the latest info and they send us warning of bad weather in our area such as rain or flooding.  Our phones are on 24/7 so we always hear the warning sounds.

I use the Weather Underground phone app and a NOAA Weather Radio with SAME Code capability.  I have used several La Crosse wireless weather stations as well.   I have yet to add another La Crosse weather station to the RV I have now.  I let the last station I had go with the previous RV.  There are several modes of weather stations marketed by La Crosse too.

Welcome to the forum. Personally I see no benefit to having a personal weather station. As stated above with the technology today you would be wasting your time and most likely not very accurate compared to NOA or outher weather sites.

One thing I highly recommend is to use Google Maps to find your location. Click on the compass icon and it will show your location. The reason ths is important is if you hear a storm/tornado warning  and you are not familiar with the area you can see where it is in relation to you. Is it moving toward you or away from you/how far away is it. 

Bill

13 hours ago, desertdeals69 said:

We use the weather app on our iPhone to get the latest info and they send us warning of bad weather in our area such as rain or flooding.  Our phones are on 24/7 so we always hear the warning sounds.

We do the same. Its free and it automatically changes as you move (it knows where you are). I can adjust the app to alarm visually, audibly or both and you can pick what kind of events you want or don't want i.e. rain, lightning strikes, snow etc.

"Weather Channel" is the APP we use. 

Check out "Mobile Alert". I have that on my phone and they give you automatic warnings for everything in the area or the US.

Weather, accidents, road work, etc.

I don’t think it for any of us to say what one wants or should buy. I have a CB in my that I probably haven’t used in two years, but I thought I really needed it. 

1 hour ago, rossboyer said:

I don’t think it for any of us to say what one wants or should buy.

Really? When the OP ask this question in his post. "Looking for recommendations and pros/cons". I am pretty sure  he is looking for opinions on what he should buy.

Bill

Ross and Bill, I understand.

Russ was asking for a recommendation for a weather station and I have no clue.

However to Ross' comment, I remember when we started RVing. I went wild at Camping World. I found so many thing I knew I had to have in the RV.

Later when I needed to clean out the RV for some repairs, I could not imagine the thing I took out and left out.

I believe my mileage increased a point or two. So if you think you need it, buy it, you can always give it away as a door prize at one of your rallies.:P

Herman 

Back on topic...we use Underground app on iPhone...we also found that the RK marine worked great in the Maritime Provinces of E Canada!  Same would apply in any coastal area...Free from Apple! 

We do have a "home" indoor/outdoor weather system, that shows outside/inside/barometric pressure! $40 at ACE Hardware!

I have an Acurite Weather Station at home in the back yard.  Took it in the MH once, and even though we were staying in the same place for a month....way too much trouble attaching it and leveling it on the rear ladder.  As others have noted, much easier, and more accurate, using a phone.