Sign in to follow this  
Pat60

Trip from Ocala, FL to Gettysburg, Pa and Niagara Falls, NY

Question

Hello, fellow rv'ers...

We are leaving from Ocala, Fl to Gettysburg, Pa...will we be going through any mountain ranges?

Then from Gettysburg we will drive on to Niagara Falls...will we be going through any mountain ranges along that route...

Thank you.

Pat

5 answers to this question

Hi Pat,

The short answer is it all depends on the route taken to G'burg. If you go up I95 to D.C. and then over to G'burg it is a pretty flat route. There are hills, but no mountains. If you are going to take I81, there will be a 7 mile, 7% climb starting on I77 at the VA border. After that, I81 is one hill after another. That being said, I'll take the I81 route over the people congested I95 route any day. Hills are an inconvenience, people on congested roads are dangerous.

From G'burg, you'll most likely take I81 to Binghamton then RT 17 west to I390 and then I90 west to NF. I81 through PA is a continuation of one hill after another. Northbound, there is a long decent (7% for 5 miles) into the Wilkes-Berre/Scranton area. Once in the valley, you guessed it, one needs to climb out. It is a long gradual ascent. Once on Rt 17 from Binghamton to NF the road is mainly one hill after another, but no long grades.

Thank you, Gary, for the information.

I will have to look at the various directions I have gotten from AAA Trip Tik, Mapquest and Trailer Life's...I am betting they are all the same.

The only one I haven't looked at is my GPS.

I am hoping that this nasty spring weather will be gone by the time we set out late May.

Thanks again.

Pat

Gary, coming from Ocala, FL where do I pick up I-81 as you suggest and where does I-77 come in???

I can see from all the direction people that they are taking us straight up I-95 to DC and we do hit a lot of big city traffic along the way...

I can see taking I-81 would avoid same.

Can you give me directions from Ocala into the Gettysburg area!!

Thank you.

Pat

Hi Pat,

There are a couple of ways to get to I81. You can:

1. Take your favorite road to I95. I95 to I26 in SC. I26 West to I77 in Columbia, SC. I77 North to I81.

2. Take I75 North to Knoxville, TN. You'll see signs to I81.

3. Take I75 North to I 85. I85 to I77 in Charlotte, NC.

Routes 1 and 3 will have you making the climb beginning at the NC/VA border. Route 2 from Chattanooga to Knoxville has quite a few short climbs. The roads also is left and right as well as up and down. The shortest route is #1. Route 2 has one going through Atlanta. Route 3 has one staying on the Atlanta beltway. If one does this in the mid morning or mid afternoon, it is not a problem.

After doing this quite a few times (I live near West Palm Beach) my preferred route is #3. It is about 150 miles farther, for me, to Charlotte than route 1. Route 2 (going through Atlanta and the up/down and around) tires me out. I avoid I95 unless there is absolutely no other route to take.

Hey, hey, Gary, thanks again for the reply...have printed out your routes and will take all of them into consideration.

P