suarich

Dash A/C on 2018 HR Endeavor XE

I am having a major issue with the dash A/C in our 2018 Holiday Rambler Endeavor XE 38F Diesel Pusher. 

With the  A/C set on high, the temperature difference between the floor intake and the discharge vent is only 13 degrees on average.  Ranges between 10 and 16 degrees.  Does not make a difference what the intake temperature is. 

Has anyone else been having this issue and if so, what was done to correct the problem.  The A/C system says Aurora on it, but trying to find information for the company has been difficult.  There was a recall regarding the potentiometer that was supposedly corrected before I took delivery and that does not seem to be the issue.  When the unit was taken to Freightliner, they said all of the components on their side were working properly.

Also,  There is no recirculating door to be able to shut off outside air from entering.  Is this normal for a MH?  Just returned from a 6,000 mile journey and had to deal with all kinds of smells and pollutants entering.

Any help would be appreciated.

Stephen Suarez

Stephen,

Welcome to the Forum. Is there any difference on your A/C knob between A/C and Max A/C? Mine will close off the outside air and go to recirculate when set on Max A/C. 

Herman  

Make sure the engine coolant hose valve at the firewall is closed when the controls are on cool. I haven't heard of a vehicle air conditioner without a recirculate setting since the 1960's. Were this my MH, I would have already called the factory customer service line, since the coach mfgr installs the dash air stuff.

Stephen ! Welcome to the FMCA Forum. The recall was issued due to an over heating wire caused by the square potentiometer according to the recall information I have found.

You did post that.There was a recall regarding the potentiometer that was supposedly corrected before I took delivery and that does not seem to be the issue.  When the unit was taken to Freightliner, they said all of the components on their side were working properly.

The part exchange would be an issue that the coach builder would be involved. They would be replacing defective part because the controls in question where installed by them and not Freightliner. Freightliner installed the Compressor, drier, condenser and evaporator. 

A call to Rev Group might be in order. There could be an issue inside the Heater / AC mixing box involving door seals and or the control servos.  The servos control the amount of hot and cold air to reach the desired temperature . The expansion valve  installed in the evaporator could be an issue or the relay  / or wiring  used to control the system. 

The potenteometer issue was causing a over heating issue on one of the wires used in the system, the  reason for the recall. Might want to contact HR and verify the recall and all necessary work was performed on your coach.

I have experienced temperature issue due to dirt in the expansion valve caused at times from dirt getting into the system during installation, charging or repairing the system. 

Good Luck, Rich.

Thank you everyone for the responses. 

Herman, there is no Max A/C on this system.  The 3 settings are defrost, floor vents or main vents.

Ray,  I just spoke with Aurora and was informed that there is no recirculate door to shut off the fresh air from the outside.  That was a decision from REV group engineers.  He advised that there may still be a leak in the system or the thermostat needs to be relocated on the Evaporator.

Rich, yes to the compressor, drier and condenser, but the evaporator was installed by REV.  Someone else I spoke with mentioned a clogged H-block as well.  

I take it back to the dealer on Thursday, so lets hope I get some resolution on the issue.

Stay safe and Happy travels,

Stephen

49 minutes ago, suarich said:

Thank you everyone for the responses. 

Herman, there is no Max A/C on this system.  The 3 settings are defrost, floor vents or main vents.

Ray,  I just spoke with Aurora and was informed that there is no recirculate door to shut off the fresh air from the outside.  That was a decision from REV group engineers.  He advised that there may still be a leak in the system or the thermostat needs to be relocated on the Evaporator.

Rich, yes to the compressor, drier and condenser, but the evaporator was installed by REV.  Someone else I spoke with mentioned a clogged H-block as well.  

I take it back to the dealer on Thursday, so lets hope I get some resolution on the issue.

Stay safe and Happy travels,

Stephen

let us know how it goes after the dealer. 

Stephen, I have a 2018 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 38N and I too have and still have problems with my Dash AC.  I took mine to an Oasis Dealer and they check all of Freightliner components and they were found to be working as advertise.  They found the problem is in the box in front of the dash, Fleetwood knows this to be a problem per the Freightliner techs.  My cooling unit would freeze up, and I was only getting luke cool air.  They found a thermostat on the upper right side (looking at the box) and felt it was in the wrong place.  Fleetwood said to move it to a hole in the front, kinda the middle and to the left.  It was duck taped in place and the air was cooler, but still not what I think it should be.  

If you want pictures, I will see what I do, and if you find a cause, please let me know.

Stan

If I recall, a healthy drop from return to vent in a house is about 17 to 18 degrees.  What should it be in a vehicle, assuming air is recirculating and not passing through, or should one be satisfied if the vent temp is down in the 40s?  I'm not knowledgeable about performance standards for a dash unit with something above 1000 cubic feet of open space behind it.

Yes, a more common/accepted delta is intake air temperature (air return) which is usually at passenger's front bulkhead to center vent discharge temperature. 18-20 degrees F is considered good.

Humidity will lower the delta, very dry air will raise it.  Yes, it takes BTU's to condense that moisture that drains out the condensate hose.

At 90F outside air temp in the humid midwest, our dash air is discharging around 50F, set on outside air. I would never accept 18-20 degrees delta for a dash air.

Richard

I just discovered this topic in Forum. Obviously I don't review the forum often, because I searched diligently when I initially encountered this problem with our 2018 Fleetwood Discovery 38F after we bought it new in 2018. I returned the coach to the dealer 3 times. Each time, they could not find a problem. They suggested I take it to Freightliner. I did, and spent $600, (while under warranty) only for them to tell me that the system is operating properly, although the temp drop across the coil is only 10 degrees. My background is the a/c business, so I know what should be expected. I called REV group and was advised that a 10 degree drop is acceptable (clearly they don't live in Florida). I considered using Florida Lemon Law, but we love the coach, except for this problem. This activity was all in 2018. After reading these posts, I called my dealer's service dept. and was advised that this is a now a known problem. It appears that this model was built with an undersized a/c unit. I'd be interested if anyone has discovered a solution, other than running the generator and roof air.