Sign in to follow this  
ktconners

Tire Pressure?

I have been sitting in 1 spot with my tire covers on my Fleetwood Bounder 2017 with Michelin 235/80 P225 Radials. I have to.move today so I checked the pressure with my little gauge. It reads 79 psi on back and 80 psi on front. The temperature is about 62 degrees outside. In the tire it says 110 psi cold. I guess that means maximum pressure cold? Are my tires OK or do you guys think they need air. I do not own a mobile inflator of any type. Thanks!

NO, what is on the sidewall of the tire is the PSI needed to  CARRY THE MAXIMUM design load (which will also be on the sidewall).

That may or may not be the correct PSI for the tires carrying the ACTUAL LOAD ON YOUR COACH.

A reasonable place to start if you do not have the actual weights is to look at your GVWR sticker which is usually by the driver's area. That will give you the recommended PSI if (OK BIG IF) both axles are loaded to their Gross Axle Weight Rating.  Hopefully, your actual weight is well less than that which would mean you have a reasonable safety reserve between actual weight and weight rating.

Sorry Wolfe, not really understanding. I am well below weight as much of my stuff is in storage. I just am not sure if I should add any air to move my rig about 10 miles to a different location. As mentioned before, all 4 tires are sitting at about 80 psi as my rig sits here with the cold tires...

That is the Federal Tire Placard, it lists the size tires on the MH , and the proper air pressure to safely support the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating =GVWR; this is the most your MH is designed to safely carry. If you do not have that tire size on the MH now, the air pressure listed may be incorrect for the current tire size.

More that you ever wanted to know about the Federal Tire Placard (begins@571.110), and MUCH more.  https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2007/12/04/E7-22962/federal-motor-vehicle-safety-standards-cargo-carrying-capacity

Since you can't fill the tires at campground, leave with what you have & find a gas station with air hose...after or on the way to your next destination, get a portable air pump!

A couple days ago I stopped at my neighbors site while on my walk.  He was out chatting with another camper.  We all have DP coaches.  The conversation came around to tire pressures.  The visitor said he took his numbers right off the placard inside the coach and always ran 5psi over.  My neighbor, only in his 2nd year of full timing, said he had a 4-corner weight done at Gaffney and after consulting the Michelin chart set his psi accordingly.  The visitor told him that "was okay", however he really should just add the 5psi to the listed numbers on the inside of the coach and go by that.  He went on to say that he had been RVing for 13 years and had only blown one tire.

I made sure I stopped back by my neighbors site later to tell him IMHO he was airing up his tires exactly how he should be.  By the way, he and I are both full time travelers and have never had any tire issues (knocking on wood).

5 minutes ago, ISPJS said:

A couple days ago I stopped at my neighbors site while on my walk.  He was out chatting with another camper.  We all have DP coaches.  The conversation came around to tire pressures.  The visitor said he took his numbers right off the placard inside the coach and always ran 5psi over.  My neighbor, only in his 2nd year of full timing, said he had a 4-corner weight done at Gaffney and after consulting the Michelin chart set his psi accordingly.  The visitor told him that "was okay", however he really should just add the 5psi to the listed numbers on the inside of the coach and go by that.  He went on to say that he had been RVing for 13 years and had only blown one tire.

I made sure I stopped back by my neighbors site later to tell him IMHO he was airing up his tires exactly how he should be.  By the way, he and I are both full time travelers and have never had any tire issues (knocking on wood).

You gave him good advice. 

For decades it has been well-publicized that the best method for determining correct tire pressure is:

Load coach as it goes down the road with full fuel, people, etc.

Weight each wheel position. 

Use the heavier wheel position on each axle to go to the tire manufacturer's inflation table to determine THE CORRECT MINIMUM PSI.

Most of us add 5 PSI or so to that MINIMUM so a sudden drop in temperature (like is happening across the country right now) or a BIG Walmart shopping trip will not put you under-inflated.

The only time the "other guy's" advice would be accurate is if indeed he IS loaded to GAWR on each axle.  Did you ask to see his bowling ball collection or his wife's rock collection or did he just buy an overloaded coach to begin with???

Actually, the GVWR placard states the correct minimum PSI for an axle loaded to its Gross Axle Weight Rating. That may or may not coincide with the maximum allowed for the tire or rim.

If he is loaded to GAWR (of 1/2 of GAWR on one side) then he is OK adding a little to it as long as it does not exceed the tire or rim PSI rating.

Let's hope he is just wrong, not overloaded!

5 hours ago, wolfe10 said:

You gave him good advice. 

For decades it has been well-publicized that the best method for determining correct tire pressure is:

Load coach as it goes down the road with full fuel, people, etc.

Weight each wheel position. 

Use the heavier wheel position on each axle to go to the tire manufacturer's inflation table to determine THE CORRECT MINIMUM PSI.

Most of us add 5 PSI or so to that MINIMUM so a sudden drop in temperature (like is happening across the country right now) or a BIG Walmart shopping trip will not put you under-inflated.

The only time the "other guy's" advice would be accurate is if indeed he IS loaded to GAWR on each axle.  Did you ask to see his bowling ball collection or his wife's rock collection or did he just buy an overloaded coach to begin with???

I sort of got the idea he had never been across a scale, let alone had a 4-corner weight done.  I had made the comment that I always wanted to get the 4-corner weight done but instead had only been going by regular scale axle weights.  He jumped on that and began telling my neighbor that you could take it to any truck stop scale and weigh for $2.00.  That pretty much told me he had never driven across a scale, or at least not in the past 15 years.