luciemaggie

Age requirement of coach at park

Is it common for campgrounds to require class A diesel pushers to be no more than 10 years old? We will retire soon and will full time. Iam hearing some campgrounds have this requirement.

There are a few snooty (and some not so snooty) campgrounds pushing the 10 year rule.  Your best reply is to take your business elsewhere.

ken

Luciemaggie,

Welcome to the Forum.

I understand the rule of coaches no older then 10 year old. They don't want a broken down unit arriving that can't move and then are hard to get them out. But at the same time I have seen RVs that are less then 10 years old that look like they were rode hard and put away wet. 

Most of the park that have the 10 year rule, will allow you, if making a reservation, to send a picture of your unit. Also if you drop in and they see that your RV is 20 years old and looks like it is new, most likely they will allow you to stay. I have never been turned down and our coach is 17 years old.

I am not saying I like the rule, just saying I understand it.

An again Welcome,

Herman

We travel in a 45-year-old coach. Yes, it still has factory paint which takes a good shine, but no one is going to confuse our rig for a new one. We've never been turned away from a campground, and we've never even had anyone raise a concern.

1 hour ago, richard5933 said:

We travel in a 45-year-old coach. Yes, it still has factory paint which takes a good shine, but no one is going to confuse our rig for a new one. We've never been turned away from a campground, and we've never even had anyone raise a concern.

Richard, does your coach have the RVIA certification decal on it? 

I had a place that I had to send photos of ours because it was older than 10 and they asked that one photo be of that certification decal.

1 hour ago, jleamont said:

Richard, does your coach have the RVIA certification decal on it? 

I had a place that I had to send photos of ours because it was older than 10 and they asked that one photo be of that certification decal.

Sticker? Not so much. I have something that looks vaguely similar to the RVIA certification sticker, but nothing official. Never been asked for it either.

7 hours ago, Luciemaggie said:

Is it common for campgrounds to require class A diesel pushers to be no more than 10 years old?

Welcome to the forum. I find that statement to be untrue. Yes there are a scaterd couple of places that have that rule however I have never had a problem. Like Herman said the parks have rules to protect them from problems. 

Bill

Herman, Richard, WBill...Agree!  The first time I heard of that, was in Indio, CA 1992, new Resort and my coach was a 1987 Barth...I spent 2 night's there.  Mostly DP rigs and a lot of them was more than 10 years old.

Last time I heard about the 10 year rule, was Lagoons RV Park in Rockport...They have since rescinded that.

I encountered one in Florida (no issues getting in after submitting photos) and from what I have read there are quite a few in California. 

As already noted, some people think the park is being "snooty" but I appreciate when park owners use this to protect their investment and personally I would prefer to not park next to any rv that has not been taken care of. Same goes for the neighborhood I live in. I'm glad we have restrictions in place to protect my investment. 

Several yeas ago, we were at a park in Shreveport, LA and an RV came in after the office close and set up across from us.  It was not all that old and was dirty, two locker doors were missing and the awning was hanging loose and held on with a rope.  Mid afternoon the next day, the fellow was packing up and leaving.  Talked to the park owner about what happened...I'm nosy...They had a 10 year rule and we had sent photos of our restored Avion silver that was over 10 years old and it was acceptable.

The folks had told him a year model and it was less than 10 years old.  The owner said he took one look at it and told them to pack up and leave.

He just wanted the RVs to look decent.

Ken

We stayed at one park that didn't have a 10-year rule, but they did have a lengthy list of rules detailing what constituted an acceptable RV and what did not. Didn't matter the age, just the condition. Made perfect sense.

11 hours ago, richard5933 said:

We stayed at one park that didn't have a 10-year rule, but they did have a lengthy list of rules detailing what constituted an acceptable RV and what did not. Didn't matter the age, just the condition. Made perfect sense.

Now that makes sense! That leaves an out for campground management just in case!

I believe they take the easy way out and run with the age. 

We are in a CG currently that is owned/operated by a park district.  I swear they would check in an RV that was actually on fire when it arrived and not think anything about it.  There are a couple old travel trailers in here now that are pretty rough, one of which has evidence of recent fire damage.  They only have one "pet" rule and that is your animal has to be on a leash.  It doesn't have to be up to date on shots, you can have 20 dogs, 10 cats, and 10 chickens in your RV as long as when you have them outside they are all tied up.  

Last year a bunch of local seasonal folks started putting up bird feeders.  One site actually thought it would be a good idea to dump bird feed on the ground in addition to having a couple feeders.  Needless to say everyone in the area started getting tons of bird crap on everything plus someone saw a couple rats close to the sites where they dumped feed on the ground.  Thus the campground initiated another rule, NO MORE BIRD FEEDERS!

I promise you that this campground would never consider a 100 year rule on campers, let alone a 10 year rule.

No way!  Seven more days and we are heading south to Dandridge TN for some riding in the mountains.  Then we will make a stop in eastern TN for a few days before getting to Alabama for November.  We don't like to hit SW Florida until after December 1st, just in case November decides to toss in a late season hurricane.

Had to stay up here longer this stop to help family.