Sign in to follow this  
tedsfam

Slideout alignment

Thought I would share my experience with a "top notch" service facility not to be named. They replaced my chassis a/c compressor and other components..and that is a story in itself. When I got the coach back the l/r slide was open about 2 inches...the house batteries were dead..so I thought I would pull in the slide at home when plugged in. Lo and behold the slide would not come all the way in..hung out about 8" on one side and 6" on the other.

I had to take the coach back because the "new" a/c wasn't working. I had them look at the slide. Of course they denied everything and told me it was a factory defect..very common and would need to replace the entire mechanisim..about $7,000. I didn't want them to touch anything after the a/c debacle.

When I got home I researched and found you can resync your motors by opening the slide all the way..bringing it in about 8" then reopen all the way again...repeat about three times.....IT WORKED!

PM me for the name of the shop. Bottom line is don't believe everything they tell you...do your research

Welcome back to the Forum!

IMHO, if you can't or won't release the info of who, then the whole post is suspect.  Yea!  We could guess and probably get it right, but that's not the point...we post info good or bad, for the benefit of all.

I'll get off my box now!

I'm with Carl. This post is so vague its only purpose is to take up space. No coach information, no location information, no dealer information and you want me to pm you so you can tell me? You may or may not have some valuable information on re-aligning a slide but its useless at this time.

2 hours ago, tedsfam said:

Thought I would share my experience with a "top notch" service facility not to be named. They replaced my chassis a/c compressor and other components..and that is a story in itself. When I got the coach back the l/r slide was open about 2 inches...the house batteries were dead..so I thought I would pull in the slide at home when plugged in. Lo and behold the slide would not come all the way in..hung out about 8" on one side and 6" on the other.

I had to take the coach back because the "new" a/c wasn't working.

The whole post is suspect. 1) Who would pick up a coach from any repair shop and not check the work is done and everything is correct BEFORE giving them the payment. This would include a walkaround looking for any damage.

2) What were they doing playing with the slides? Re read item 1.   

Bill

Also the original poster has no information on his motorhome. I have posted elsewhere that the information on moving the slide 8 inches and back out/in is not in keeping with current Schwintek policy. Never change direction and always continue in the same direction if for some reason the slide has to be stopped.  I visited Lippert last year and had a motor replaced. I got some good information there on how to properly operate their Schwintek mechanisms. They also use Schwintek controllers for their power gear slides. (Schwintek uses the serpent rail and Power Gear has the rack/pinion type rails.)

Wayne, you have to go back to pre-2006 Power gear Valid (mine), for it to reset per in/out..never used the 8" rule!  I don't see it in my paper work (57 pages).

I have a 2015 Thor Hurricane 34E and I had the same slide out issue. The slide out would start, but one side would be out further than the other side. I did some research and found an article that told how to reset the motors. According to the article https://www.giantrv.com/how-to-set-slide-out-timing-re-syncing-schwintek/9598/ , you can reset the motor counters. It did work. But, it seems like the reset needs are happening more often. I have contacted my local RV repair dealer and see if there is a better solution.   

2 hours ago, theboderick said:

I have a 2015 Thor Hurricane 34E and I had the same slide out issue. The slide out would start, but one side would be out further than the other side. I did some research and found an article that told how to reset the motors. According to the article https://www.giantrv.com/how-to-set-slide-out-timing-re-syncing-schwintek/9598/ , you can reset the motor counters. It did work. But, it seems like the reset needs are happening more often. I have contacted my local RV repair dealer and see if there is a better solution.   

Welcome to the FMCA Forum!

Has the slide out mechanism been lubricated at anytime in 5 years?

How much weight is loaded in the slide ?  It is a natural tendency to overload them and there is a load limit, not the easiest number to get. 

Rich.

On 11/21/2020 at 7:52 AM, dickandlois said:

Welcome to the FMCA Forum!

Has the slide out mechanism been lubricated at anytime in 5 years?

How much weight is loaded in the slide ?  It is a natural tendency to overload them and there is a load limit, not the easiest number to get. 

Rich.

I was lucky Winnebago did put weight information in the owners manual. My HWH slide basement compartments have a 300# load limit. I would expect 12V electric-powered to be less.

Edit: my one slide is 24' with kitchen and sofa in the slide, it has basement compartments that are part of the slide-room, those are what has the 300# weight limit. Hope that makes more sense.

Edited by rayin
Clarify original reply

Not a basement slide...coach slide out, with sofa or love seat and or kitchen on it.  My full wall slide by HWH is 27' 6" and rated for 2,700 LBS.