beaver42

Rv w/toad trip from Ohio to National Parks in Utah, Wyoming etc

Question

Plan to leave OH in early July.  Would like to visit National Parks in UT, WY, etc.  Want to hit Yellowstone & Mt Rushmore. Any suggestions on best route to follow. Have approximately 15 days round trip. Suggestions on RV parks outside of national parks to stay and take day trips in the car. Many thanks.

6 answers to this question

Beaver42,

How many hours a day are you willing to drive?

Interests?  Kids?

Said another way, what things to ya'll enjoy doing/seeing??

You did not say where in OH.  But Columbus, Yellowstone, Columbus = 3,500 miles...15 days for all you want to do, good luck!  In a coach, your more restricted than in a car, such as weather, road construction, speed that you can safely travel...time of year has a lot to do with Campgrounds & Traffic, in and around the Parks!  IMHO, I would need 30 days to be on safe side!  Every Park your thinking about, is going to have several hundreds of thousand visitors a day, during peak season...some like Yellowstone will close down, without warning, due to maximum capacity!

You will find that RV campsites are a premium during the period you plan to travel, must NP's campgrounds restrict motorhomes over 32'.

I would recommend that you firm up you plans now and make reservations.

Jim

On 10/13/2019 at 3:13 PM, Beaver42 said:

Plan to leave OH in early July.  Would like to visit National Parks in UT, WY, etc.  Want to hit Yellowstone & Mt Rushmore. Any suggestions on best route to follow. Have approximately 15 days round trip. Suggestions on RV parks outside of national parks to stay and take day trips in the car. Many thanks.

I think that is a very ambitious schedule. I would pick a couple places like Mt Rushmore & Yellowstone I might add in Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument as it is on I-90 and that would be the way to get there. Let me know and I can give you some places I have stayed in the area.

Bill

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 1:13 PM, Beaver42 said:

The West Yellowstone Grizzly RV park is a great place to stay, it's within walking distance to the downtown West Yellowstone attractions.

The park has large spacious sites and is big rig friendly and is close to the west entrance to Yellowstone NP.

JIm

Beaver,   Living as we do in the West it is a spectacular place. You, obviously having not visited the West, it is going to be even better. But 15 days to get there, see and return is completely unrealistic, only because you have no idea of the of what you will encounter. Pick one place of what you suggest and enjoy it. The remaining will still be there for  a much longer visit after you realize the magnitude of the West and it's expansiveness. From where you are, stay kinda north on I 90 and visit Mt Rushmore, South Dakota, or the Tetons and Yellowstone if time allows. It is another two days driving to Utah and the National Parks. In any event, it will be tough to accomplish and do it and your family justice enjoying what you find. Next time allow 1 to 3 months if you can . It is not like going to an amusement park it is far better!!!