pcowen

2015 Bounder Winterizing

Good afternoon.  Need some help on pumping antifreeze into my motorhome.  Have dropped all tanks (fresh, grey, black) and drained water heater.  Moved water heater (one valve) to bypass and proceeded to use tubing near water pump to suck antifreeze into water system.  Noticed antifreeze coming out of water heater.  Pulled bypass valves and inspected it is working and seems fine.  Reinstalled and tried again and again antifreeze coming out of water heater.  Any thoughts as to what I am doing wrong?  

Look for another valve that is open allowing antifreeze into hot water tank. There are usually two valves, one into tank, the other coming out of the tank. Hope this helps.

I am not shure how you would bypass the water heater with one valve. All the bypass setups I have seen had at least 2 and sometimes 3 valves. You are stopping water from going into the water heater tank and isolating it so you can pump antifreeze through the rest of the system. Look at your plumbing lines your valve may be turned in toward the tank and hard to see.

Bill

I have been told that I'm a bit different and I guess i am. When I used to winterize our coach all I did was drain the Black Tank, the Gray and the Fresh water tank. Then the water heater. I would then Blow out the lines with compressed air one outlet at a time till i have nothing but air coming out. My thinking was if none of the tanks have liquid in them and the lines are empty what is there to freeze? I am fortunate now since I have an insulated barn I keep the coach in and when it has been as low as 10 degrees it has never gotten below 45 degrees in the barn.

Herman

1 hour ago, hermanmullins said:

When I used to winterize our coach all I did was drain the Black Tank, the Gray and the Fresh water tank. Then the water heater. I would then Blow out the lines with compressed air one outlet at a time till i have nothing but air coming out.

You can do that with a traditional water heater. Tankless or Aquahot no good. Supposedly you cannot get it all out of the coil that wraps the heat source and it will freeze and break. 

As mentioned, most tank water heaters have three valves, inlet, outlet and bypass. You have to close the inlet and outlet, open the bypass to properly direct the solution around the unit.

Thanks for the reply’s.  Called RMV/Fleetwood today and got the drawings.  There is a check valve that I will take a look at and will let you know if I solved the problem.  Got a laugh from Herman reply, we hit 27 below zero last year in northern Illinois. Again thank you all and any more ideas or info greatly appreciated.