dbenoit

Stuff sliding in cabinets

How to stop or minimize that stuff sliding around? There are many items and ideas on stopping this.

What have you done? There is a new product coming out that I think is superior to what your using.

In most of my cabinets and drawers I've used the same rubber pads that usually go under rugs to keep them from sliding on hardwood floors. I get the kind that has no adhesive, but relies on just being somewhat grippy. One of these can be cut into smaller pieces and cover lots of drawer bottoms: https://www.amazon.com/Epica-Super-Grip-Non-Slip-Surface-Floor/dp/B00IAVY52U/ref=sr_1_8?crid=2F10QOANZ14TE&keywords=carpet+anti+slip+pad&qid=1571156430&sprefix=carpet+anti%2Caps%2C174&sr=8-8

For smaller items, I've found that putting things in larger storage boxes makes a huge difference. A few loose items in a bathroom cabinet get jumbled all over - put them together in a 1-quart food storage container and problem is solved.

Small/thin bungie cords also help to hold things together and keep them from moving, as do Velcro wrapping cords.

We use the same product as Richard, even inside the refrigerator. That stuff works great.

If you have anything that you want to keep on open shelves (trinkets, clocks, ETC) We use this;

https://www.homedepot.com/p/QuakeHOLD-Museum-Putty-88111/100143045

When we bought our coach the interior looked staged, the previous owner must have had an obsession with Egyptian decor, the interior was decked out with gold plates on fancy stands, decorative table top lamps with fancy shades, etched wine glasses and it was all attached with that putty, it looked like a pharaohs tomb. That stuff was tough to remove and it held very well!

In drawers, those old Styrofoam peanuts will help keep upright many things. My coach was designed with drawers for canned goods, we use about 1/3 drawer with those peanuts, then add the canned goods, when one can is removed, the peanuts just respreads their selves. On the upper cabinets we use those under shelf wire baskets from the dollar stores when possible, and the under rug no-slip that Richard described.

We just use the non slip drawer and shelf liner that comes in rolls. You can get at RV stores, Amazon,  etc. 

Comes in various colors...51ny13DS1cL._SL500_AC_SS100_.jpg.81aae11b5e8f844290e62765db09cf81.jpg

I have tried to slow down🤣   I know I know  hard to do but it works...Glad to know We are not the only ones with this problem...gotta show this to Janet...  B

We use the rubberized shelf liner stuff. So far so good. Also for things sitting on a counter that you may want to leave there, we use the blue "Sticky Tack." This stuff is great for just about anything. One to hang a picture without screwing into the wall, use Sticky Tack. (Not a real, real heavy picture.)  If you are worried about cabinets coming open use those "Rubber Reusable Twist Ties" that come in all kinds of different lengths.  Usually the cabinet door knobs face each other so just twist one of those ties around both knobs to keep the doors shut.  Same thing with drawers. Twist tie two handles together to keep the drawers from opening.  Same for refrigerator doors.

Our commercial refrigerator doors have the drawer mechanisms at the very top and they click in place and keep the doors closed. The bottom freezer had a twist lock for it.

Don't forget to not drive like a race car driver when in the MH. It really keeps things in place.

For the cabinet were we have plates, cups, glasses, wine glasses, etc., we use my mother's old trick from travel trailer days bouncing around in the Snowy Range of Wyoming each summer weekend when I was a young kid a few decades ago -- stuff a bed pillow or two around those dishes.   Keeping the wine glasses in one piece is especially important  :)

Mike, I buy my wine at specks and get about a dozen of their wine bottle socks (free), then I put a wine glass in each & turn up side down in coach...no breakage in 12 years! Use on any glass wear, including bottles...some friends prefer non wine!  Self liner between plates.

Turn all glasses upside down. Before traveling place a tee towel in against the glasses then close the cabinet door. For plates put a paper plate between each plate. In the refrigerator use small spring loaded curtain rods across each shelf. For can goods try putting boxes like cereal in front of the cans.

Remember, you are Camping and paper plates are alright to eat off of with very little clean up. I would advise against glass plates and bowls. 

Happy camping and with as little clean up as possible. 

Herman 

Can't really add any new ideas.  When we move into a different RV we start by lining about everything with the heavier rubber type non-slip stuff.  Then we start arranging each cabinet and drawer so everything fits and packs in fully so it isn't rattling, tipping over, or moving around.   It is kind of a process for us and usually takes a couple of months before we get everything just right.

Wayne, my guess is, it does not work for Bill anymore that it works for me!  Bill's DW has him trained real well. :P

I keep my hearing aids in the drawer to keep them from sliding around. I sometime intentionally don't put them on and soon Earlene hands them to me. I haven't the foggiest idea why.

I did ask the audiologist for the selective kind, but SHE just smiled and shook her head, "No!"

All women are in cahoots. Linda, say's that I'm the only man that she knows/knew, that don't understand her, when she's talking!  I said. I'm not a bobbing head..I'm sure that she'll bring that up, 5 years from now!  

4 hours ago, manholt said:

I said. I'm not a bobbing head..I'm sure that she'll bring that up, 5 years from now!  

I can see a "Carl" bobble head doll in your Christmas stocking.

Have you added warning sings like the airlines? "Things in the overhead bins may have shifted during flight" 

Bill

I had stored in the garage some 3/4-inch Styrofoam batts about 16" by 8'.  I cut pieces that fit from door to back wall bins and "squoze" vertically into place and with them made custom-width compartments for toaster oven, plates (stacked in Z-folded small bubble bubble wrap), and other items.  Ain't pretty but the price was right and it's effective.  Did this also in some drawers to separate stuff.  We also use that non-skid rubber roll, cut to fit. If it getting dragged out of position by putting stuff in and taking stuff out starts to annoy me, I'll staple it down with the shortest staples I can find.