Sign in to follow this  
wildebill308

All Texas Voters should vote YES on prop. 5

If you can vote in Texas Vote yes on prop. 5

From 1993 to 2017, the state has collected nearly $2.5 billion in revenues from the Sporting Goods Sales Tax, yet only 40 percent has been spent on state and local parks.

Prop. 5 is a constitutional dedication of revenue from the existing sales tax, so those dollars can only be used by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department and the Texas Historical Commission on public parks and historic sites, and not for any other purposes. Importantly, Prop. 5 requires no new taxes or fees. A YES vote on Prop. 5 on Nov. 5 will protect Texas’ natural areas and historic sites, so we don’t lose the very things that make Texas a special place in which to live.

Bill

Voted absentee today.  Prop 5 FOR.

Prop. 5 Sporting goods tax to support state parks
Share page with AddThis

Proposition 5 (SJR 24) “The constitutional amendment dedicating the revenue received from the existing state sales and use taxes that are imposed on sporting goods to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department and the Texas Historical Commission to protect Texas’ natural areas, water quality, and history by acquiring, managing, and improving state and local parks and historic sites while not increasing the rate of the state sales and use taxes.”

Explanation

Proposition 5 would require the Legislature to allocate the money raised from state sales taxes on sporting goods (i.e., hunting, fishing, outdoor equipment) to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD) and the Texas Historical Commission (THC). Revenue from such taxes would be used to improve and manage state and local parks and historic sites, and to acquire new sites. 

Proposition 5 closes a loophole in the current law that prevents all the revenue raised by these sales taxes from being given to Texas Parks and Wildlife Department and the Texas Historical Commission, thus allowing some of the money to be used to balance the state budget. 

Arguments For

• State and local parks are essential to industries such as fishing, hunting, and tourism that benefit Texas economy. Proposition 5 would require the government to support this vital economic sector more fully. It would allow these agencies to make long range plans based on a reliable funding source.
  • Many parks and historic sites of Texas are decaying, and new parks are needed due to population growth in the state. Proposition 5 would provide a sustainable source of funding for their preservation and new park development so they could be enjoyed in the future. 

I'm in Indiana,  however I applaud your efforts and involvement to support TX state parks maintenance and upgrading!

Yes it is important to give all the money raised to the intended purpose. Only about 40% of the money raised was going to the intended purpose. One of the great things about Texas is the early voting. I think early voting is the best thing they have done for voters. No need to worry about geting to your assigned polling place on election day. 

"Any registered voter may vote early by personal appearance (in person). Early voting by personal appearance for the November 5, 2019 Election begins on October 21, 2019 and ends on November 1, 2019. You may vote at any early voting location in your county of registration."

I voted today.

Bill

4 hours ago, DBenoit said:

If I were a Texan I would vote yes to save "Hippy Hollow" on Lake Travis.......Old hangout in the 70's

Actually, Hippy Hollow was at its heyday in the late 1960's/early 1970's. Parked along Comanche Trail and hiked down a rough limestone trail to the lake.

Have heard rumors that people even wear bathing suits there in later years.

Google earth shows a large paved parking lot there now: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Austin,+TX/@30.4134951,-97.8860913,348m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x8644b599a0cc032f:0x5d9b464bd469d57a!8m2!3d30.267153!4d-97.7430608

And an entrance gate/entrance fee:  https://www.google.com/maps/@30.4146114,-97.8863137,3a,15y,229.45h,78.89t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1suMcPojhTwQ2IDdGU2UqTLA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

As we say in Texas: "that just ain't rite".

Haven't been back in years-- OK, many decades. But a favorite while at UT Austin.

4 hours ago, wolfe10 said:

[...]

Have heard rumors that people even wear bathing suits there in later years.

[...]

Haven't been back in years-- OK, many decades. But a favorite while at UT Austin.

It's going to be a long night trying to get that picture out of my head!

19 minutes ago, wayne77590 said:

It's going to be a long night trying to get that picture out of my head!

Should not be a problem.

Picture 50 collage-age girls and boys.

Does that make it easier???

On 10/30/2019 at 3:02 PM, wolfe10 said:

We could have been there at the same time.....You must have partied at the Armadillo Club

Just to close out this thread, and on a happy note.

Election results:

STATE OF TEXAS PROPOSITION 5

For: 1,201,856 (87.96%)

Against: 164,473 (12.04%)

"The constitutional amendment dedicating the revenue received from the existing state sales and use taxes that are imposed on sporting goods to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department and the Texas Historical Commission to protect Texas' natural areas, water quality, and history by acquiring, managing, and improving state and local parks and historic sites while not increasing the rate of the state sales and use taxes."

Just after polls closed last night: The other propositions were poised to pass easily. Proposition 5 would stabilize funding for state parks and received overwhelming support. The proposition allows money accumulated from existing sales tax on sporting goods to be used for the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department and the Texas Historical Commission. Current law allows the Legislature to allocate that money however they see fit.

Brett, beat me to it, thanks for posting the outcome of the election. This should give money for upgrading and for building parks. The fun part is it does not raise taxes. 

For those who might be intersted the results can be seen heare. https://apps.texastribune.org/features/2019/texas-election-results-2019-constitutional-amendments/

Bill