krdf

Restart after 3 months

We have a 2014 Tiffin Allegro DP with a Cummins 340 HP engine and an Allison 2500 transmission. We are looking into a 3 month Workamping assignment. After sitting for that long what is the proper/recommended  start-up procedure for the engine/transmission. We will be living in the motorhome during the assignment.

I just parked our coach in its winter parking location behind our barn. It will stay there until I bring it out in early March. Most likely I'll do like past years and not start/run the engine during that time. Of course, I've done all the usual prep including changing fluids, checking condition of antifreeze, etc. I also make certain that all air tanks are properly drained so that moisture doesn't sit in them for months.

Doesn't seem like you should have problems starting your engine after a few months idle time. My thought would be to do similar to what I will: check all fluid levels, check condition of air cleaner, and do a visual inspection. If you can crank the engine without starting it, do that for a few seconds first to help circulate the oil. If you can't do this, then avoid running above idle until oil pressure comes up after starting.

Of course, if your manual has anything specific about storage and bringing out of storage, that would be the primary route to go.

Just a short comment .

We are a Gas motor home, BUT I believe gas and  DP would have these same concerns. Question how to maintain the Fuel additives  etc.

Since the chassis battery's need to be maintain with a charger of some kind.

As I believe the coach ? does not keep them charge up in them when plug to AC.

Just my two cents

Tim the Mailman

Gas is slightly different, but mostly the same. My experience is that gasoline does less well in storage than diesel, especially modern gasoline with all the odd ingredients in it. I'd check with one of the fuel gurus about the best additives for that, particular to your locale (for moisture, temp, & the specific type of fuel mixture pumped in your area).

My coach has separate house and chassis battery chargers, and as long as both are turned on I'm good. This could be done with any coach for not much money, and there are many options for keeping the chassis batteries charged from a single house battery charger. The Xantrex Echo Charger is one option. What you don't want to do is just plug in a cheap (dumb) charger and let it run unattended - they typically can boil your battery dry over time.

If the chassis batteries are fully charged, the simplest method for keeping them for a few months is to simply disconnect them, usually by way of pulling the negative battery terminal which connects the battery bank to the chassis/ground connection. Depending on the particular setup, it might be necessary to pull multiple ground cable to accomplish this. Label everything and take photos first.

Even in extreme cold, a fully charged battery will not freeze. However, if the battery is going to be left disconnected through a stretch of very cold weather it's a good idea to check the state of charge and/or connect a charger from time to time to ensure full charge.

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 5:09 PM, KRDF said:

Thanks for the info Richard5933.

If you'll be living in it, what's to prevent you from starting it and letting it idle for five or ten minutes every couple of weeks?   I'm new to road diesels, but I do this with my diesel boat.  Sorta.  Sometimes.  But it starts quickly after sitting for months, may run a bit rough for 15 to 30 seconds, then smooth.  Don't know why it wouldn't serve for a coach.

3 minutes ago, UrbanHermit said:

If you'll be living in it, what's to prevent you from starting it and letting it idle for five or ten minutes every couple of weeks?   I'm new to road diesels, but I do this with my diesel boat.  Sorta.  Sometimes.  But it starts quickly after sitting for months, may run a bit rough for 15 to 30 seconds, then smooth.  Don't know why it wouldn't serve for a coach.

Actually that is NOT good for an engine, particularly a diesel.

Unless operated under load (like 25+ highway miles) you will not get the OIL up to operating temperature.  All this will do is add moisture to the crankcase/engine.Yes, the engine could reach coolant operating temperature, but the oil will not be warm enough to get rid of the moisture that is a normal byproduct of combustion.

1 minute ago, wayne77590 said:

Brett, what about DEF that has sat in the tank for 3 months?

No issues, the tank is sealed. If not in freezing weather i'd top it off. If you are in freezing climate DON'T top it off, 3/4 full should suffice. 

8 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

Brett, what about DEF that has sat in the tank for 3 months?

(Thankfully) no first hand knowledge of DEF fluid. But several points:

1. If it has been parked for 3 months, the DEF fluid may be a LOT older than 3 months.

2. Part of the degradation of DEF depends on the climate under which it was stored.

Someone more familiar with DEF may know if there is a test or way that an owner can identify good/bad DEF.