SEstes13868

Choosing an RV & Chassis to Tow a 2019 Jeep Cherokee that weighs 4280 lbs

Hello folks - Wannabe RV person here…

We will be shopping for a gas RV next year and plan to flat tow our Jeep Cherokee Limited. This vehicle has the Active Drive II transfer case so flat towing it should be no problem. In preparation for this purchase I have weighed the vehicle and it comes in at 4280 lbs.

I am looking at several RVs and have a question about chassis GCWR, GVWR and the capability to tow this Jeep.

Some of the RVs that I am looking at have a GCWR of 30K lbs & GVWR of 24k lbs for a difference of 6K lbs and use a 5K hitch. I believe that these RVs should be able to tow this 4280 lb Jeep with no problem. True?

Other RVs I am looking at have a GCWR of 26K & GVWR of 22K - a difference of 4K Lbs but also use a 5K hitch. Technically the Jeep, at 4280 lbs,  is 280 lbs over weight.  Is it a safe assumption that as long as the actual weight of the RV does not exceed 21,720 lbs (GVWR of 22K lbs minus the 280 lbs over weight) that I can safely tow this Jeep?

Thanks for any advice!

SEstes13868,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

GCWR minus GVWR is a good starting point, but doesn't tell the whole story.

As you mentioned, hitch rating is a factor.

As is chassis AND coach maker towing rating (particularly critical if chassis has had the frame extended).

And actual coach weight (loaded) may not be the same as GVWR. 

If actual weight is less than GVWR and hitch rating and chassis/coach towing ratings are adequate, then GCWR less actual weight gives a valid number.

Thanks Wolf10.

It sounds like that as long as I do not exceed the GVWR and GCWR, even on the 22K/26K chassis, by actually checking the RV makers numbers, weighing the loaded RV and weighing the Jeep I should be ok. Is this correct? Probably will focus on RVs with the 24K/30K chassis however. Still weigh everything but the 24K/30K Rvs seem to give me more confidence about towing the Jeep. Also - how do I tell if a chassis has been extended....

9 hours ago, SEstes13868 said:

how do I tell if a chassis has been extended

Quick search showed on the cutaways, Cab Rear to Rear Axle (in.) max 118"

Rear Axle to End of Frame (in.) max 68.5".

Pretty much anything over the shortest has been stretched. The max wheelbase is 176" This is what drives the problem because it is as long of a driveline as they build. If you want a longer RV you have to add to the rear overhang. 

Bill

8 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

The max wheelbase is 176" This is what drives the problem because it is as long of a driveline as they build. If you want a longer RV you have to add to the rear overhang. 

Bill, my C had 176" in the door jamb (ford decal) but measured 201". Coachmen spliced the frame between the axles. I also had frame extensions after the rear axle which were 8' long. Both caused my tow rating to drop from the original chassis recommendation of 7500 lbs down to 2500 lbs. The cross members after axle were flimsy, I guess to keep the weight down which I believe was the main cause for the towing reduction. I had 11' 5" total length behind the rear axle, it got interesting when turning corners, you really had to pay attention.

9 hours ago, jleamont said:

it got interesting when turning corners, you really had to pay attention.

Yes, too true. Now that I know to look at the overhang when I see a A or C coach it sometimes amazes me how much rear overhang some have. Some look like if you jumped up and down on the rear bumper you might lift the front wheels off the ground. :P

Not picking on the gas coach crowd but it is something to be aware of when shopping. There are some out there that are nearly at their GVWR. 

Bill