Sign in to follow this  
carlsamuels

House batteries are over charging and getting hot in 1999 Safari Sahara

We replaced the chassis batteries and it starts fine now as they were very old. Now the house batteries when plugged into shore power are getting hot and the liquid is boiling out and over charging. Has anyone experienced this and what were the fixes for this? 

carlsamuels,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

If one cell in a battery, it will "fool" a perfectly good charger or inverter/charger into OVER-charging the batteries.  Think of it as trying to charge a 10 VDC battery as if it were a 12 VDC battery!

If wet cell batteries, the place to start is with a HYDROMETER.  Less than $10 an any auto parts house/Walmart.

If sealed, you will need to fully charger, disconnect them a then load test them.

As long as voltage at the batteries is not over 13.5 VDC in float mode or 14.3 in bulk mode, I would not start by pointing a finger at the charger or inverter/charger.

Please let us know what you find-- either by hydrometer or load testing.

More fixes will depend on WHAT you find.

Please let us know what you find-- either by hydrometer or load testing.

More fixes will depend on WHAT you find.

How old are your house batteries?  One bad cell in a bank of batteries, will cause your condition!  Are any battery swollen?

16 hours ago, carlsamuels said:

Thank you for the insight and waiting for more fixes

more fixes happen with more information. Like Brett said twice.

Bill

Bill,

Not sure how old the house batteries are as we purchased the RV last fall and I am not able to find a date stamp, I am sure they are over 5 years though.

I checked last night and the panel that shows voltage was flashing overload, it turned the switch on the panel off and then on and the overload indicator light stopped flashing.

We have a mechanic working on the issue and I am reaching out to him to give him the recommendations I am collecting from all who reply to this thread. See the attached photos from last night.

Thank you your input.

Carl

IMG_20191029_173154.jpg

IMG_20191029_173223.jpg

Has your mechanic (should be electrician) checked for loose ground wire?  Also, what does the voltage read at each battery?  Are all your battery posts clean and free of any corrosion, every connector tight, same with bus bar?!