dickmasse

Set Up and Use of Amateur Radio on a Class A

Greetings, We are new to motorhoming and new members of FMCA. I am a licensed Amateur Radio operator and would like to use my ICON 706 on our Class A rig. I would like to know how fellow hams are setting up their systems on their RV's as I have no idea! I am also interested in downloading emails using the radio. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...Thank You in advance!

**** and Carol F412523

KB3LUG

I have never heard of the ability to get your email with a ham radio perhaps this is something new? I installed a Yeasu FT8800 2M/440 with detachable face. I prefer these types of rigs so that I can mount the body under the dash and just have the faceplate on my dash. I fashioned my own antenna mount for above the driver's door. Can't remember the antenna I used but I think it was a Larsen.

If you want to download e-mails via radio, it has been going on for 20+ years. You can read about that on www.winlink.org. With all of the free Wifi hot spots now available, it's much easier to just use a laptop with wireless capability. Most public libraries have internet access.

Where to mount the radio is a different story. If you want to QSO while driving, mount the radio so the sun shining through the drivers window doesn't shine on the digital display, makes it hard to read while playing bumper cars on the freeway. Some hams mount a hamstick or Hustler high on the ladder on the rear of the coach. I use a bumper mounted screwdriver antenna and the results haven't been impressive but neither has the propagation. You might want to listen to a couple of nets to get some ideas. RV Service net on 14307.50 at 12 noon and 5 PM EDT and the FMCA ARC on 14307.50 at 1900Z (3 PM EDT).

73 Bob

WA7CLG

If you want to download e-mails via radio, it has been going on for 20+ years. You can read about that on www.winlink.org. With all of the free Wifi hot spots now available, it's much easier to just use a laptop with wireless capability. Most public libraries have internet access.

Where to mount the radio is a different story. If you want to QSO while driving, mount the radio so the sun shining through the drivers window doesn't shine on the digital display, makes it hard to read while playing bumper cars on the freeway. Some hams mount a hamstick or Hustler high on the ladder on the rear of the coach. I use a bumper mounted screwdriver antenna and the results haven't been impressive but neither has the propagation. You might want to listen to a couple of nets to get some ideas. RV Service net on 14307.50 at 12 noon and 5 PM EDT and the FMCA ARC on 14307.50 at 1900Z (3 PM EDT).

73 Bob

WA7CLG

Hi Bob,

Im not only new to the amateur radio thing but also new to motorhoming. I do not plan on operating the radio while underway but would want to have it availability while parked. As for the wi fi thing we are planning on being in the hinterlands of Canada and Alaska and dont expect to have much of that abailable to us. Hence the idea of using a modem to get the email stuff while we are out for months at a time. On the issue of the antenna......I guess its important to get it above the motorhome as best as one can. I guess some spring loaded thing that would rise up and down as needed would work. Can you discuss the ground issue with me? Some folks Ive talked to said its difficult to get a good ground on the motorhome and I thought the motor and chassis would be sufficient! Would a 9' whip work for tha antenna or would you suggest something else. We can do this offline if you want to entertain these questions if that would be more useful. Thank you for you advice you have already provided and I will do that when I get the radio set up again!

KB3LUG

Guest Wayne77590

Look up ARRL KO4A. He HAM's in a 5th wheel. He recently had to use some poles because the CG would not let him hoist his wire into the trees. I have not done any hamming in the MH.

73 Bob

WA7CLG

Do you have an e-mail address where I could contact you?

I have a setup similar to what NWJeeper described with a detachable faceplate. Mine is an Icom IC-207H 2/440 rig. The radio is against the firewall beyond my left foot, with the faceplate velcroed onto the dash. I put a Larsen KG-2/70-CX-PL on-the-glass antanna on the dual-pane glass high beside the driver seat and it works surprisingly well. I wired my radio to the battery connection for the generator just under the driver area so it is independent of the ignition. I use it a little while driving, but a lot more while stationary.

I have seen a few larger antennas in campgrounds ... sometimes a screwdriver type attached to the rear, sometimes a pole temporarily attached to the rear ladder, and occasionally a wire strung in trees behind the rig.

Greetings, We are new to motorhoming and new members of FMCA. I am a licensed Amateur Radio operator and would like to use my ICON 706 on our Class A rig. I would like to know how fellow hams are setting up their systems on their RV's as I have no idea! I am also interested in downloading emails using the radio. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...Thank You in advance!

**** and Carol F412523

KB3LUG

Richard, do you have an e-mail address?

Bob WA7CLG