rayin

Automatic weighing for air suspension vehicles

Not sure if all coaches' air systems are similar to mine, but I've got one control valve on each side of the rear axle and a single valve up front. The rear each control one side of the coach for side-to-side adjustments, and the front one controls front-to-back adjustment.

The write-up for this thing seems to indicate that one unit is needed for each 'axle group', and it sounds like they are designed to measure the weight on axles and not an interconnected air suspension system. How would that play with the way many coaches are designed, with control valves adjusting side-to-side or front-to-back?

Richard the description states " One sensor is required per height control valve on each axle group"; that may  not work on many MH chassis as Spartan MM chassis usually has 1 valve for rear axle, 2 valves for front.

I'm not going to buy that, as being accurate to within 300#(would that be a total 600# variation? ) is_IMO useless for a MH application.

Yes, with RARE exception most DP's have 3 ride height valves.

Most with solid front axle have two in back, one in front.  With IFS, often two in front, one in back.

The exception is the Gary Jones designed chassis such as he did for Alpine (called Peak chassis) which have 4 ride height valves-- one for each wheel position.

These work well for their intended design, which is weight swings of several thousand pounds on a CMV to make certain an axle isn't overloaded.

On an RV the weight swing would be items packed to bring on a trip which is minimal comparatively speaking. I am not so sure the cost would weigh the benefit. One more thing to go wrong and leak air on a vehicle that most don't understand how to properly check their air system prior to leaving already.

My experience with similar devices they only provide weights in 50 or 100 lb increments, unless your DW really packs heavy it could always report the same weight, in that case it would work the first time for your base weights and become useless afterwards.

14 hours ago, jleamont said:

These work well for their intended design, which is weight swings of several thousand pounds on a CMV to make certain an axle isn't overloaded.

On an RV the weight swing would be items packed to bring on a trip which is minimal comparatively speaking. I am not so sure the cost would weigh the benefit. One more thing to go wrong and leak air on a vehicle that most don't understand how to properly check their air system prior to leaving already.

My experience with similar devices they only provide weights in 50 or 100 lb increments, unless your DW really packs heavy it could always report the same weight, in that case it would work the first time for your base weights and become useless afterwards.

That is my thinking, and the reason I posted the link was to obtain others thinking about this product. The possibility of a 300#  low to high swing from actual weight is ludicrous for MH owners. One device off by 300# high, and the opposite side off by 300# low (which is within their published accuracy limit) could fool a 4-corner weight procedure.