hammer55

Federal Fishing/Hunting License

A federal fishing license has been discussed for many years, every time individual states protest it would be an invasion of state's rights, which is contrary to the constitution. I would enjoy one if it ever happens. Went brook trout fishing in the Beartooth mountains of WY, the 1984 non-resident 5 or 7 day(I forget which) was I think,  $35.

Even if we had Fed tags, there are a lot of States that would charge their own fees, over and beyond the cost of Fed.  Greed gets in the way of reasoning.

I could have fished Canada this Summer, mostly no charge depending on the fish and the Providence we where in.  

Guys/Gals,

If this thread is to stay open, politics MUST stay out of it.

Focusing on the single subject of a national fishing license will do that.

Thanks.

Brett.

I was not intending to be "Political" when I mentioned Ca.  Since OP is there, he should know what it would cost non-residents for a chance at fishing...I do catch & release!   When I spent summer in CO. I would get a 3 month lic & it was worth the cost.

14 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

I would welcome the ability to travel in the RV and fish in any state with one license. Hope it happens.

I remember fishing for lake trout in B.C. Five of us caught enough to have a fish fry for the entire caravan in about 1 hour. The only issue was the hook in my hand; that lake trout fishing was one of my best experiences.

no one said it had to be taken over by the feds, just like the drivers license, the feds also have some control over everything

federal drivers license.JPG

Yes, reciprocity would be another avenue of achieving this.

But, I can see states with a lot of fishing and high fishing license fees not wanting to allow those from states with few fishing resources/low fishing license fees a free hand in fishing in their state.

https://lakerecord.net/2018/12/20/fishing-license-options-and-fees-a-state-by-state-breakdown/

For example, annual fees for non-residents:

Delaware $22.50

Illinois $31.59

And, at the other extreme:

Alaska $145

California $135

17 minutes ago, hammer55 said:

I guess if your OK with it, that is your right, 

Please don't misunderstand, I agree with you-- a great idea.

But, probably very difficult to sell with the huge disparity in what different states collect and spend on supporting fishing in their state.

Brett,

Does the Alaska $145 cover both Salt & Fresh water fish?  

Hammer55, I have never seen that Fed on a DL before...my Texas Lic has USA TX in upper right corner.

I've written our Presidents, our Congressmen and Senators and other Leaders over the years about reciprocity, about allowing all Citizens access to our federal lands and waters, about allowing Disabled Veterans to have access and it has always been crickets. Didn't matter when it was a bit over $7.00 for a non resident out of state Fishing License and Hunting, I don't remember but it s not  a high price. Active Military can fish in the state they are stationed in for free, and at home state at one time and maybe still.

Out west the Ranchers and others regard Federal Lands as.their own..and state DNRs etc want the huge prices for out of state hunters and Fishermen..even thought it is Federal Lands  and Waters most often and Hunters and Fishermen in most states don't want Out of Staters there at all. Even for residents in Tn and other states it is near $200.00 for hunting and fishingfor all species. We are in Az and my Disabled Veteran permanent license from Tn is worthless and the price  for just fishing one or two days, that we would be able to fish is so costly for us we can't go. The only way to get access to our public lands and waters in other states, or reciprocity  is national legislation, and we don't have anyone's ear in Washington.

There are enough RVers and Retired Citizens and hunters and fishermen of all ages, if we were organized and had a leadership and pressed the issue and got them to recognize we were serious. Represent this or don't get our vote.. Politics... no not talking abut any one party. Talking about all of us getting what we are due for the Federal Taxes we pay and so on.