krdf

TRC SurgeGuard 41260 Adequate

In my Tiffin Allegro I have a TRC SurgeGuard 41260. I know it does not protect from faulty shore power but is this adequate protection from lighting surges? What ems is recommended to protect from shore power issues?

Yes, there are surge protectors that will give you SOME protection against power surges due to lightening strikes.

But, all have their limit.  Heck, lightening has just traveled thousands of feet through AIR which is a great insulator.  Proximity to the strike and whether it strikes the power source you are plugged into help determine how severe the strike surge is.

If you are in the coach when a lightening storm is forecast, by far the best advice is to UNPLUG from the shore power. Far better than hoping a surge protector will protect you.

Thanks Wolfe10. Just went thru a thunder storm and I did unplug shore power as well as the CATV coax. I do not have a separate surge protector or an ems. I see other coaches with a variety of devices, some mounted inside some dangling from the power pedestal. I am just starting my RV adventure so I am still finding my way. Thanks for your insights and the info in this forum.

5 hours ago, KRDF said:

I am just starting my RV adventure so I am still finding my way. Thanks for your insights and the info in this forum.

Congratulations on getting started. I have found that low voltage is just as harmful as over voltage and probbabley more common. I use a Surge Guard 34850 Portable Model. One reason I like the portable unit is I can check a site before moving the RV. My unit has saved me several times from bad power and low low voltage.  

https://www.amazon.com/Surge-Guard-34850-Portable-Display/dp/B00T36QHUO

Bill

To add to Bill's point about low voltage being harmful:

Good to check before plugging in.

MUCH more important to monitor voltage as you turn on loads. 

Not uncommon for voltage to read OK with no load, and because of small-gauge wire and/or poor connections, as soon as you turn on large loads such as a roof A/C for voltage to from to  dangerous levels (108VAC or lower).

Something like this, plugged into any handy "house-type" outlet in your RV works fine:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Prime-Products-12-4058-Digital-Display-AC-Line-Meter/55150277

1 hour ago, wolfe10 said:

Something like this, plugged into any handy "house-type" outlet in your RV works fine:

Except for the problem of are you going to watch it all the time? Can you shut off power before any damage occurs? My surge guard monitors all the time and will shut off power before damage can occur. That includes when you are sleeping.:D The power in the park can and will varey radicley based on the load.

Bill

7 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Except for the problem of are you going to watch it all the time?

I have almost the same device (older version, same manufacture) plugged into an outlet inside. It has a very loud annoying alarm if the voltage dips or rises within a specified threshold. Its actually more sensitive than my TRC or Progressive EMS which was a huge benefit. 

While it will not shut you off, when it alarms you know to dig deeper into the problem before it becomes a bigger problem. Where the EMS comes in hand is when you are not there and it will automatically shut off the coach power or if something ugly happens for the most part you are protected. I believe a true power surge from a storm it wouldn't help much. Voltage would cross it so fast the coach would get whacked. I unplug during those and run off of battery or generator.

We do the same in a Storm, at the house or on the road.  The house is just as vulnerable as a RV, the only time our Generac 20Kw & 12Kw is worth a dam is when power is lost at the power company.  We shut off the house, before the storm hits and turn on Generac...it will be on until we shut it off several hours after the event & they run on Propane.