Sign in to follow this  
huffypuff

Awful

The story is all over the tv news today.  We stayed at same places as this couple in TX, not anymore as their killer wasn't caught.  

Ray, we stay at Aransas  Pass which is very near. I don’t think this could happen in our park. Where they staying on the island on the beach?

Roland

This topic is discussed on another forum and unfortunately is taking the slope of not going to Corpus Christi because of it.

In reality there were more homicides in Corpus in 2018 (9) than in 2019 (6), so far.  Many are indicated that they will not go to the area because of the recent finding when in fact there are more homicides in many of the other places RV'ers stay at than in Corpus.

There are other areas to RV in around there. As mentioned, Aransas Pass is good, Rockport is also good but one has to remember that anything can happen at anytime. Being in the right places at the right time is better than the wrong place at the wrong time.

Things can happen. I'm not going to change my traveling just because something happens that has happened in the past.

I agree Wayne, we feel very safe in Aransas Pass. If we were to camp on the beach with no one else around I would have more concern and be ready to defend myself but I don’t think the danger is greater than dry camping anywhere else. I would include Walmarts and state rest areas.

Padre Island, there's north & south...they where on the north end, interesting as there are many houses there...No camping on beach that we know off, except for the pass!  It is no short drive from there to border!

2 hours ago, manholt said:

No camping on beach that we know off, except for the pass!  It is no short drive from there to border!

There is some camping on the beach just north of Padre Island National Seashore. That sure wouldn't be where I would expect trouble as you are a long way from crossing the border.

I heard from some people who left The Las Palomas Wildlife Management Area - Boca Chica Unit Brownsville because people were just walking across the river on the beach. Didn't hear of any problems but they didn't like the traffic going by their spot.

Bill

We stayed at Corpus Christi Naval Air Station RV park on the base so no worry there.  But we did travel over the bridge to Padre and Mustang Island by car.  There so many isolated areas once you turn left or right.  

23 hours ago, huffypuff said:

We stayed at Corpus Christi Naval Air Station RV park on the base so no worry there.  But we did travel over the bridge to Padre and Mustang Island by car.  There so many isolated areas once you turn left or right.  

There are isolated areas nearly everywhere you go. If you start worrying about isolated areas you may as well stay home. There is no guarantee you are safe doing that.

I think this is shocking more because it is such a rare thing.

Bill

2 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

There are isolated areas nearly everywhere you go. If you start worrying about isolated areas you may as well stay home. There is no guarantee you are safe doing that.

I think this is shocking more because it is such a rare thing.

Bill

I sure hope you are right.  

In this country we are very good at KNEE JERK reactions. Common sense should be a part of this. I am in agreement that a single incidence sometime in the past is not going to inhibit my exploration of this country. I might give a second thought or more at staying in an isolated area like this vrs someplace in Colorado or New Mexico. If the perpetrator has not been caught, who is to say who did it. This country also has a very short memory so it will fold back in a short while.

A photo was taken of the truck & trailer, crossing into Mexico at Del Rio.  Truck is or was a silver chevy 2500, photo is also of driver / perp!  I suspect that by now, trailer is another color with Mex Tags and same with truck...perp could be anywhere in N.  America!  He is not Mexican.  Go to KHOU. Houston.

On 11/5/2019 at 11:36 AM, manholt said:

A photo was taken of the truck & trailer, crossing into Mexico at Del Rio.  Truck is or was a silver chevy 2500, photo is also of driver / perp!  I suspect that by now, trailer is another color with Mex Tags and same with truck...perp could be anywhere in N.  America!  He is not Mexican.  Go to KHOU. Houston.

We had some problems on a manufacturer social media platform, with folks jumping to conclusions. 'Looks vaguely like Dawg The Bounty Hunter and his girlfriend, crossing into Mexico in the victims' vehicle. Makes us all think twice about camping outside of the protected venues of campgrounds. Our thoughts are with the victims' families and friends 😢

https://abc7chicago.com/person-of-interest-seen-driving-murdered-couples-stolen-rv-into-mexico-/5673550/