reid9439

"I came to a fork in the road........."

Question

Is US 26 worth taking between Portland and Boise? We have a 40' w/tow and would like to see the area less traveled, rather than I-84, but we are not sure if the road will beat you up. Can anyone advise of some points of interest along this highway if it is worth the bypass. We have no train to catch.

2 answers to this question

We've run part of this highway, from John Day Fossil Beds to Redmond the highway is good enough for travel. We visited the fossil beds and enjoyed the museum and a couple of short hikes. We had been on Hwy 218 and 19 through Fossil and I wouldn't recommend those for anyone! I saw snakes on 218 that couldn't get around the corners! That was one challenging drive. By the time we came through those roads, 26 looked like a super highway! Nice scenery all the way as I recall.

Is US 26 worth taking between Portland and Boise? We have a 40' w/tow and would like to see the area less traveled, rather than I-84, but we are not sure if the road will beat you up. Can anyone advise of some points of interest along this highway if it is worth the bypass. We have no train to catch.

We traveled that road and found it to be quite good. Near John Day, we found Clyde Holliday State Park - a wonderful place to spend a day or two.

http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_11.php