mikeaubry

catalytic convertors stolen

Not a happy camper … So, today I went to the storage facility to do the monthly check up, start and run the engine, etc...

Was shocked to find that some hoodlum sawed both catalytic convertors out of the exhaust system. 

I'm sure I'm not the first to have these stolen, nor will be the last.

The place has coded gate access and cameras all over the place - but, aside from the security (or lack there of) -  I now have to find replacement cats for the 2009 38P Fleetwood Pace Arrow with a 

Workhorse chassis and a Vortec 8100 engine.

I spoke with the repair guy and he wondered what I wanted to do? 

Replace with as close to factory representative catalytic convertors - or go with a less expensive option?

I think he was referring to a resonator or straight pass thru pipe thus eliminating the catalytic convertor all together.

Found some online at UltraRvproducts.com - but awfully pricy at over $1600 each (included full pipes also). 

I measured the pipe diameter and it is 3".  The crooks were kind enough to saw so the hangers were all left in place (so thoughtful of them).

I'm leaning towards replacing with as close to factory as possible - for fear the O2 sensors will throw codes if I don't.  Thoughts?

Mike

motorhome_catalytic_convertors_stolen.JPG

Mike, Welcome to the Forum !

IMHO, the system software will not have any issues in most cases. The bigger issue is passing the required emission tests!   

That will require a catalytic system or part capable of removing or modifying the exhaust gases flowing out the tail pipe.

Rich.   

My cousin buys and sells junk autos and pickups, he makes more money from selling the old converters than on the rest of the entire vehicle these days.

Well, Thanks for the thoughts everyone.

I currently live in a state that doesn't require emission testing, so the real concern might be relative to reselling the rig sometime in the future - somewhere that does require it. 

I've talked to a number of people that have gone the less expensive route, and other than dealing with a flashing error code - they haven't had any other problems. 

All in all - I think I'll go with as close to factory cats as possible - I think it would be better in the long run.

Yes, I have spoken with the insurance company. My comprehensive will cover the repairs, less the deductible amount. Waiting for the repair guys and the appraiser to review the damages and determine what parts and labor will be covered. 

6 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

Deductible is going to be the same if you bypass or replace with OEM. I'd go with OEM.

I agree - there is absolutely no reason to go with anything else if insurance is being used. You'll never have to worry about blinking check-engine lights, and any future owners won't have problems with emissions testing.

Hi - I'm located in Michigan. Not sure if they caught anyone on their security camera, the storage facility wouldn't even look at the footage without me giving them a specific date that the theft occurred.  They went on to say that the security footage is only kept for 2 weeks before it is erased and taped over. I no longer store my rig at that facility.

Some friends and I used a storage where you had 2 elect gates, lot's of lights and 21 cameras!  Got robbed, 5 coach's was trashed & all electronics was stolen.  Over $60k worth..my coach was at the house being packed for a trip.  LEO arrived and found out that all the cameras, but 2, was dummy!  Back fence had been cut & vehicle track to fence.  Never found perp's!  Brett or Wayne may have read about it...all over the news!  🤮

Motorhome repair completed. Repair place did install replacement parts that matched factory items as best that they could. No codes showing up from the O2 sensors, when taken for test drive. Nice and quiet - just like before.  As I stated earlier, we notified the storage facility that we were not coming back. They sent me a check for the last month rent, plus security deposit. I guess that was their way of making amends.

I know that no matter where I store the motorhome, there will always be the potential for this to occur. 

As long as there is a market for the precious metals inside the catalytic converters, thieves will try to steal them.  Its just too easy to saw them off exhaust system, and sell them to scrap dealers - even with laws in place to try and deter them. Limitations on quantity and confirmation/proof of ownership by VIN needs to be enacted.  There needs to be a way to make stealing them - not worth the time and effort to get anything of monetary value back in return.  I'd love to invent a mechanism that renders the converter valueless, if tampered with, or cost effectively add something to the exhaust system that would spray ink or dye all over the catalytic converter - thus identifying it as being tampered with.

Unfortunately, I seriously doubt that they will ever find who sawed mine off.  I just hope it doesn't happen again.

Thanks for your comments,

Mike

On 11/15/2019 at 5:34 AM, manholt said:

Some friends and I used a storage where you had 2 elect gates, lot's of lights and 21 cameras!  Got robbed, 5 coach's was trashed & all electronics was stolen.  Over $60k worth..my coach was at the house being packed for a trip.  LEO arrived and found out that all the cameras, but 2, was dummy!  Back fence had been cut & vehicle track to fence.  Never found perp's!  Brett or Wayne may have read about it...all over the news!  🤮

I think advertising 21 security cameras and 19 were fake should open a way for a lawsuit for all expecting security.  I have better luck at my home and barking dog.  

Ray, I did not follow up.  My friends did, I had no damage, I was parked next to a 5'er owned by a LEO...whoever did this, knew who not to touch. 

Mike, have never had your problem, nor heard about it before now!  VIN # or dye, would have no affect. 

4 hours ago, manholt said:

Ray, I did not follow up.  My friends did, I had no damage, I was parked next to a 5'er owned by a LEO...whoever did this, knew who not to touch. 

Mike, have never had your problem, nor heard about it before now!  VIN # or dye, would have no affect. 

Catalytic converters theft is very common as well as stealing gas at park and ride.  To steal a  catalytic converter one person find a truck easy to get under and cut them out with a battery powered saw all with little or no noise.  

Buddy of mine runs a company doing "cash for junk cars", and the price he pays is much higher if the factory catalytic converter is still there. First thing he does is cut it out. Takes about 2 minutes with a Sawzall, usually while the car is still on the hook. Going to be a difficult item to protect - restricting access to the vehicle is the best way.

Our motorhome and two others had the catalytic converters stolen about three weeks ago. We filed a police report but the storage facility has not been very helpful.  The one entry gate does have video surveillance and requires a code to enter.  The thefts occurred between 10/31/22 and 11/9/22.  Our situation is complicated with lack of OEM converters.  We do have insurance with $500 deductible.  Any feedback on the performance of after market replacement units would be appreciated. 

Thanks,

Tony Langton