andyshane

Grand Prairie Crash 18 October

Hey, does anyone know about a mishap on I-20 south of Grand Prairie between Dallas and Fort Worth involving a Class A whose house came completely off?

Apparently, the couple was hospitalized with non-life threatening injuries. A miracle, considering the photo below.

I'm reminded of a Bounder mishap in which the house was shaken off the rig when it departed the highway.

The paint scheme and number of slides seen in the news chopper footage reminds me of my 2005 Excursion, but the chassis seems more in the mid-30s lengthwise.

An Airstream owner friend brought this to my attention, I wanted to do followup.

Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 7.35.40 AM.png

Here's another photo from DFW Scanner, which reported that "no serious injuries" were sustained, that the couple were transported as a precaution. 

The force vector seems to have been nearly perpendicular to the roadway, with the house portion coming to rest mere feet aft of the chassis. 

Fleetwood?.png

Glad to hear the the occupants were okay. Scary to see how cleanly the house was snapped off the chassis. I'd really feel better knowing that they had done a better job putting the two halves together in a way that they stay together. Anyone know what make/model this was?

Make? My guess is Fleetwood or Thor, entry level DP, it has LP, so not all elect. about a 34'.   Who puts Hadley Air Horns on roof anymore?  Paint looks fairly new & I saw the DEF tank, so my guess again 2016 - 2018 model.  Bet they got a new coach & a very healthy bank account now!

That belt-line is how my Winnebago MH is made, one of the negative traits is the mounting screws work loose. I have re-tightened mine twice, some were OK, some were loose, each time i use lok-tite. However, my MH is 20 now.

The genset is a non-slide mount best I can decypher. The plastic tank beside the genset would be my windshield washer fluid tank, that one is larger. Winnebago mounted air horns above driver seat. I agree with Carl due to locations of items, number of bay doors, LP tank location, DP- 36-38' max.

Our last coach was an 09 AC Allegiance 40X.  We got it new, after it had been sitting on the dealer's lot for a while.  Unknown to us, but known to the dealer, the chassis and coach under the passenger seats somehow missed out on being welded together.  AC was happy to take care of that little problem and even reimbursed me for 1,500 miles worth of diesel fuel.  BTW, the dealer is no longer in business.

25 minutes ago, FIVE said:

Our last coach was an 09 AC Allegiance 40X.  We got it new, after it had been sitting on the dealer's lot for a while.  Unknown to us, but known to the dealer, the chassis and coach under the passenger seats somehow missed out on being welded together.  AC was happy to take care of that little problem and even reimbursed me for 1,500 miles worth of diesel fuel.  BTW, the dealer is no longer in business.

Wow! Even with the quality of motor homes being what it is sometimes, it's surprising that something like that didn't get caught. Also scary that the dealer didn't take action. Just shows how much we've got to be the final QC for whatever we drive.

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 4:00 AM, hermanmullins said:

To me it looks like the superstructure is made of wood. Am I seeing it correct? If I am correct it would be 2x2 wood versus 2x2 metal.

Herman 

What's that brand that uses plywood body panels?  Countryman?  Country Coach?  You guys are impressively knowledgeable and sharp-eyed.  I sit in awe.

I saw this same thing recently on I-10 in Florida, but with a trailer.  Nothing bud the floor intact; everything above it reduced to splinters and scattered 50 feet beyond the guard rail