14Fleetwood

Newbie water pump question

My wife and I just started on our first extended trip in our 2014 Fleetwood Terra motor coach.  When I'm driving down the road, I can't get the onboard water pump to activate so I can use the capabilities enroute.  When I attempt to activate the pump, I can't turn on the pump from the control panel and I don't get any water in the coach.  I tried with the aux battery activated and with the generator running, so it seems like it can't be a power issue.  Once I'm connected to shore power, the pump turns on with no problem.  I had the fresh water tank ~1/4 full. Eventually we want to boondock a bit with this coach so I need to figure this out.  It seems like this needs to be something simple; any ideas?

Verify that the "salesman switch" by the door is ON.  Any other things that do not work.

If you have a light on the control panel for the water pump, does it come on, but pump not run or does it not illuminate at all?

5 hours ago, 14Fleetwood said:

Once I'm connected to shore power, the pump turns on with no problem.

When not connected to shore power, does the overhead lights in the coach come on? The only thing that can be different with battery power and shore power connected is that there may be no current coming from the batteries. Even the salesman switch should not allow any current flow to house 12volt. Maybe house battery disconnect or bad house batteries.

If you traveling down the road with only 1/4 tank freshwater it will be sloshing back and forth allowing the pump get airbound.  Once airbound it may stay like  that until after you level the coach.  For that reason I always fill the fresh water tanks when traveling.    

Before doing lots and lots of guessing, it seems that we need to know if the problem is limited to the water pump or if there is also a problem with other 12v systems when the coach is not plugged in.

ATS (which controls source of 120 VAC-- shore power or generator) should not affect operation of the 12 VDC water pump.

Particularly while driving (alternator charging both battery banks) 12 VDC voltage should be in the 13's and therefore NOT the problem.

While driving, have you verified that the pump is not running or just that no water is coming out.  1/4 of a tank could sure be too low for constant supply of water to the pump.

Don't know the wiring of your coach.  Do you have a single water pump switch or multiple ones?

OK, thanks for all the good suggestions.  Here's some more detail:  I drove the coach today for a little over 2 hours and noted that the interior lights do not function  or the macerator toilet pump do not work  while on aux power.  The steps DO deploy normally while on aux.  I'm not sure what the salesman switch is; can someone explain that term?  I do have a master control panel inside the door.  When I turn on the aux battery, I get a positive response on the panel.  When I try to activate the water pump from the panel, I get no indicator while on aux power and I get a light when connected to shore power.  I have water pump switches in each lav and a switch in the access bin below decks; I get the same response from each. Aux battery status reads good after a two hour drive and the main battery status reads "fair".

"I'm not sure what the salesman switch is; can someone explain that term?  I do have a master control panel inside the door." 

Different names for the same device.  Either a mechanical switch or switch controlling a RELAY/SOLENOID that connects house battery bank with 12 VDC house systems.