jlhmdheagle

Tire Size on ID Plate vs What's on Now

Good afternoon!  It's time for us to buy tires for the motorhome before venturing out on our first real trip. Current tires from previous owner are Yokohama  Super Steel, RYO 83A, size 295/75/R22.5,   G rated.  These are on the 2 front and outside rear dual tires, with the inside duals having some kind of Firestone.(in storage so I can't confirm which)
My questions: 1.) Are these outdated tires the correct choice for size, as the ID tag inside the MH (see picture) seems to be giving other sizes?
2) does my MH need two different sizes, as indicated by the ID tag or am I reading it wrong? 🤷‍♀️

image.png

Judy,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

275/80R22.5 and 295/75R22.5 are virtually the same size and in most cases have exactly the same load rating. 275/70R22.5 is a different size. As you narrow down your list, make sure to verify that the 295's are OK on your 7.5" rims.  Also, need to verify minimum dual spacing, but VERY likely will not be a problem.

The tire manufacturer's websites are an excellent place to start.

Be sure to check for the FMCA tire discount programs with Michelin, Continental and Hankook: https://www.fmca.com/rv-tires-discounts

Brett, thanks.  I have started getting FMCA pricing and I will compare to other brands, etc. Just want to make sure I'm getting the correct size: too much money to be wrong.
So, the two tire sizes listed on the RV plate, do I need  different sizes for the "front" vs. the"intermediate" as that picture showed. Confused as to why we're rolling on one size all around when it states two.

The 275/70R22.5 IS a different tire size and not particularly close to the 275/80R22.5 or 295/75R22.5.

That IS unusual.

What tires are on there  now?

Wouldn't hurt to give Spartan a call with your VIN to confirm.

Again, suggest you call Spartan: (800) 543-4277.

But going from a rear tire of 275/70 to 295/75 should really throw off your speedometer.

How accurate is your speedometer compared with your GPS?

I really haven't gotten into all of the driving, etc. yet. Buy motorhome, life happens and you wait, but now it's time to figure out our MH. Put  money on new ball joints, bell crank, etc. Time for more safety and new tires. Thanks for your input. I'm giving Spartan a call

I just talked to Spartan and Am Coach. Spartan said the MH left them with 275/70/R22.5.  As bad tires and weight of coaches  situations arose, recommendations changed, thus the new sticker with two sizes. American Coach (Fleetwood)tech looked it all up, and I do, indeed, need two different size tires that are listed on the Federal Certification Tag in my motorhome.

So, I can't ask the previous owner why his chose the one larger tire all around as he's deceased.  

I go with the company's word. Now the search is on for those sizes in a safe tire that won't completely break the bank. Merry Christmas to us!

I have been reading the threads here, and it just seems to vary as to tire preferences.  If anyone esp. driving similar MH wants to chime in, I'm listening and note taking. Thanks!!

Choosing tires is similar to choosing oil brands - we each have personal preferences, but most of the major players are going to be pretty close in performance as long as the specs are met. The top-tier tire  brands are pretty much all good quality. I think that every major player in the tire world has had problem tires models over the years, so that in itself shouldn't disqualify a company's products.

I know that this isn't directly what you are asking, but I'd suggest finding what's available in your area. Find a good commercial tire dealer that's willing to spend time with you going over the options, and then explore. Even better if that dealer participates in the various discount programs FMCA has to offer. Come up with 2-3 possibilities based on your budget and availability in the size you need, and then perhaps ask for people to give opinions on those particular tire models.

And, be sure to verify the AGE of the new tire you select (from the DOT code molded into one side of each tire).

I would not accept a tire over 4 months old unless desperate.

Last 4 digits of the full DOT code (again only molded into one sidewall) indicate the WEEK and YEAR of production.

IMO as important as tire specs/brand.

Over the last 20+ years, each time I have purchased tires (100% because they aged out, not wore out) I have required this.  Have had several tire "salesmen" look at me like a deer caught in the headlights, but every single warehouse manager knew exactly what I was talking about and when out of his way to get me the freshest tires in the warehouse.

Richard, definitely going to do this. Much to consider beyond them going 'round!  
Brette, I'll be insistent on the DOT date.

A later question will be about TMS, but I'll read through the posts first🤔😃

If value and cost are important, check out Sailun truck tires. I had 6 275R70/22.5, LR H, put on our MH, final price I paid was $1,280. IMO they ride every bit as good and the Goodyear' that they replaced, and are all steel ply construction They were 4 months old when purchased, my tire shop followed my request. Sailun truck tires are made in Vietnam since 2017(purchase date was July 2018).

P.S. I noticed Sailun truck tire prices have risen a bit since I bought.

7 hours ago, jlhmdheagle said:

Good afternoon!  It's time for us to buy tires for the motorhome before venturing out on our first real trip. Current tires from previous owner are Yokohama  Super Steel, RYO 83A, size 295/75/R22.5,   G rated.  These are on the 2 front and outside rear dual tires, with the inside duals having some kind of Firestone.(in storage so I can't confirm which)
My questions: 1.) Are these outdated tires the correct choice for size, as the ID tag inside the MH (see picture) seems to be giving other sizes?
2) does my MH need two different sizes, as indicated by the ID tag or am I reading it wrong? 🤷‍♀️

image.png

First thing I noticed is the tires that are on there are the wrong load range. You say they are G rated and the sticker calls out for LRH or load range H. 

I wish I could see the bottom of the tag/ the part cut off. Do you have a tag? What I see Interpret as the front steer 275/80R22.5 and the duels are 275/70R22.5

I think the bottom part is for coaches with a tag as the weight is blank.

Bill

13 hours ago, FIVE said:

Put the numbers from different size tires in the appropriate block and this chart will show the difference....MPH, RPM, etc...

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

11 hours ago, RayIN said:

If value and cost are important, check out Sailun truck tires. I had 6 275R70/22.5, LR H, put on our MH, final price I paid was $1,280. IMO they ride every bit as good and the Goodyear' that they replaced, and are all steel ply construction They were 4 months old when purchased, my tire shop followed my request. Sailun truck tires are made in Vietnam since 2017(purchase date was July 2018).

P.S. I noticed Sailun truck tire prices have risen a bit since I bought.

Thanks! I will look at them and then ask the tire place when I talk to them.

11 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

First thing I noticed is the tires that are on there are the wrong load range. You say they are G rated and the sticker calls out for LRH or load range H. 

I wish I could see the bottom of the tag/ the part cut off. Do you have a tag? What I see Interpret as the front steer 275/80R22.5 and the duels are 275/70R22.5

I think the bottom part is for coaches with a tag as the weight is blank.

Bill

I have duels. That last section on the cert. tag  is blank. When talking to Am. Coach tech yesterday, he confirmed that I need two different sized tires for my motorhome. And good eye on the load range. I never noticed that.  And interesting(scary) that the current tires from previous owner are not that.  

Another item on matching Duals. The pair should always be same size, Load Range, Brand and design.  Minimum Dual spacing is published in the tire company data sheets to help you compare.

You can read-up on Duals and their special needs on my RV Tire blog

On 11/9/2019 at 7:03 PM, jleamont said:

Sounds like you have some tire shopping to do VERY soon. 

Let us know what you decide on and how it all works out.

J-- yes, I have some work to do on the MH before getting out on the road.

23 hours ago, tireman9 said:

Another item on matching Duals. The pair should always be same size, Load Range, Brand and design.  Minimum Dual spacing is published in the tire company data sheets to help you compare.

You can read-up on Duals and their special needs on my RV Tire blog

I've looked at your blog many times prior to my current need to purchase new tires. May I just say, "WOW", you know your stuff!! Thank you for offering your expertise to us--especially as a newbie to the MH world. I'm still in research mode but will be purchasing soon. Discovering that I'm a little limited in dealers that work with MH's and 22.5" in my area. Just a couple do FMCA tire program, so guess I will go talk to them about their recommendations to my specs. I have a couple other places to ask also.