747guy

Low voltage indicated on my CF80 Dometic AC/DC-A fridge Freezer

New Dometic CF 80 fridge freezer. Coach is a 2006 Monaco Camelot 43.

Dometic unit installed in middle bay curb side. There is both 120v plug and 12VDC socket.

unit works ok in my Tahoe using the DC plug in the cargo area.

checked voltage in bay and it is indicating 12.95 volts. Talked with Dometic and they indicate orange blinking light indicates low power. Compressor starts up and the quits and light goes from green (indicating compressor is operating) to flashing orange (indicating low voltage)

so can anyone tell me where this bay 12 volt gets its power from??? Could I be having a ground problem or is there a relay involved? Hard to figure stuff out without wiring diagrams.

any help or suggestions appreciated.

Check voltage at the frige/freezer when it turn on.  Voltage may be OK with it off, but with load may drop too much.

Let us know what you find.

Wiring to the 12 volt receptacle is probably 12 or 14 gauge wire.  When the compressor tried to run the voltage drop is too high.  

Try running a new circuit direct from the batteries (with a fuse in line) using minimum of 10 gauge wire for both ground and 12 volts.

Lenp

1 hour ago, lenp said:

Wiring to the 12 volt receptacle is probably 12 or 14 gauge wire.  When the compressor tried to run the voltage drop is too high.  

Try running a new circuit direct from the batteries (with a fuse in line) using minimum of 10 gauge wire for both ground and 12 volts.

Lenp

My thought exactly. It is the high amperage draw that is doing this.

Also 12V DC wiring is "sensitive" to distances. The further you go the thicker the wire needs to be. 

Look up the start amps on your fridge. Then estimate the wire length from the source (your power panel?) to the fridge.

Then go online and search for recommended 12VDC wire gauge table.

And, coming directly off the house battery with the appropriate gauge duplex wire and fuse at the battery sized to protect the wire should be significantly shorter than merely connecting to existing coach wiring.