Sign in to follow this  
Peggy

Traveling without a toad

Question

Hi, i live in Cincinnati and plan to travel this summer without a towed car (will have a bicycle, though) and was wondernig if anybody knows of a book or website that lists RV parks or destinations you can go to and not really need a car. I am already thinking of Cherry Hill park in MD because it's on transportation loops. Other places could be just parks that have lots to do (fishing, etc.) or near cities where I can just get on a train (Chicago?). Any advice will be very appreciated!

5 answers to this question

Hi Peggy,

The San Antonio, Texas KOA 210-224-9266 has public bus transportation right at the front of the CG.

Peggy, you might try asking Nick Russell about a book. click here Nick has written a number of RVing books along that line and carries all kinds of info in the Gypsy Journal.

Hi, Peggy.

Been motorhoming a long time. This is our third one. On the other two, 29 footers, I never towed a vehicle. I live in the center of Texas and we went cross-country to California, from San Diego to San Francisco and back. Went to Disney Land, the studios in Los Angeles, toured the home of stars, went to Reno and Vegas, Grand Canyon and etc. Never really needed a vehicle. Our present motorhome is 34 feet and we pull a Jeep. We have made several cross-country trips to the west coast and to Oregon, where we have a second home. We seldom used the Jeep, after dragging it all that way. We did find it convenient at Yellowstone, though not absolutely necessary. often wondered why I bothered with it. What I'm saying is that I have not found a towed absolutely necessary. Sometimes convenient, but not necessary. Of course, others may disagree. It's just been our experience.

God bless,

bishoparlen

Hi, Peggy.

Been motorhoming a long time. This is our third one. On the other two, 29 footers, I never towed a vehicle. I live in the center of Texas and we went cross-country to California, from San Diego to San Francisco and back. Went to Disney Land, the studios in Los Angeles, toured the home of stars, went to Reno and Vegas, Grand Canyon and etc. Never really needed a vehicle. Our present motorhome is 34 feet and we pull a Jeep. We have made several cross-country trips to the west coast and to Oregon, where we have a second home. We seldom used the Jeep, after dragging it all that way. We did find it convenient at Yellowstone, though not absolutely necessary. often wondered why I bothered with it. What I'm saying is that I have not found a towed absolutely necessary. Sometimes convenient, but not necessary. Of course, others may disagree. It's just been our experience.

God bless,

bishoparlen

Thanks to you and also to the others for your info. Really appreciate it.

I will give the other side's opinion. We have seen people call cabs to their campground so that they can go to dinner or the store. Obviously that is only an option in some towns and is not an option if you are out in the woods somewhere. The answer depends a lot on what you want to do as you travel and how often you move. Are you going to stop and get groceries as you drive into the RV park? What will you do if you need another quart of milk? Will you ever go to the movies? Will you ever go up the road to a fishing spot? Will you ever drive the Going to the Sun Highway? It is a pain to pack up your rig and take it out just to do an errand, go to a doctor, go sightseeing, etc. There are a lot of places where sightseeing in an RV is difficult because of the size of the turnoff or parking spots which are designed for cars. There are lots of places where roads have size limits on vehicles. We are near Aransas National Wildlife Refuge in Texas and there is a road on the refuge that is limited to vehicles seven feet wide, eight feet high and 24 feet long. Does practically any RV fit this size? We were in Wyoming last year and found a road where we could see wild horses. It was dirt and gravel and occasionally muddy and steep. We found the horses and were thrilled. There is no way we would have done that with our RV. We have toured all of Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons. It was nice to be able to take a side road and be able to pull off in small spots to see the animals. Parking in some of the smaller thermal feature areas would have been tough in an RV. We have driven into large cities and their downtown areas. You can drive down a inner city street but it is tough to make the right hand turns in town when the blocks are full of cars and parked cars. It is the turns that are the problem. The bottom line is that you are so limited when you have to rely on your RV for all local travel. There is no way I would travel with out a toad.