Sign in to follow this  
Pat60

Spring Weather Traveling To Pennsylvania And NY

Question

Hi, can anyone give me some springtime weather information for traveling up from Ocala to the Pennsylvania area and then onto New York.

We thought we would leave the end of May to get up to Pennsylvania...weather seems to be extreme right now. When do the springtime storms settle down into just summer t-storms vs. tornadoes and violent weather???

Thanks

Pat

7 answers to this question

Hi Pat,

By the time you leave, you'll be at the tail end of the spring storm season. For me, I have no problem traveling to PA and NY leaving Florida in late May. I'd have more of a concern with Memorial Day weekend traffic. If it was me, I'd leave after Memorial day. Come to think of it I do leave after Memorial Day. South Florida to Niagara Falls.

One thing I know about the weather, you never know about the weather. All we can do is rely on old patterns with clear knowledge that there are always exceptions to past patterns.

If you are worried about the weather, and everyone should be constantly aware of the weather, there are things you can do to help you keep track of what is going on.

Without being obsessive, you should check a local weather forecast first thing in the morning and again in the evening. If either of these forecasts indicate a cause for concern, keep checking the weather throughout the day. As you see the weather for a day developing, ask youself, "How does the days weather match the forecast weather?" If you see a clear difference in the weather as opposed to the forecast, it is time to check the weather forecast again.

Simply being aware of the current conditions and changes in the weather can alert you to possible problems. The National Weather Service operates continuous weather broadcasts that can be picked up on special weather radios. Radio Shack has dedicated radios for this broadcast at reasonable prices. Our CB radio has weather channels and I can usually pick up the current local weather conditions via these broadcasts. My favorite weather program for the computer is the Weather Bug. It is a free program and has local data available for most areas. Frequently you can call up the weather conditions and forecast for a location within 20 miles or less from where you are, complete with radar and storm alerts.

As I mentioned in a recent discussion, as you travel you need to know what county you are in as severe weather alerts are usually issued by counties. This makes the information difficult to understand if you aren't familiar with the counties in the area. The best source for county information is a paper map. I haven't found any computer or GPS program that gives county names. Surely there is one but a truckers atlas, state maps from state welcome areas and many other paper maps will give this information but you have to look for it.

The more you know about the weather, the better prepared you are and that takes some of the worry out of weather. We never hesitate to plan travel that we want to do. We'll deal with the weather that comes our way. That includes leaving an area early if heavy rains are coming in, avoiding travel into an area of severe weather until it passes and yes, we've taken shelter when tornadoes threaten.

Enjoy your trip to Pennsylvania and New York, it is beautiful country, plenty to see and do. We wish you fair skies and following winds.

Thank you, Gary and Tom...

We won't be traveling on the Mem Day weekend...we will already be in the Mountain Creek Campground in Gardners...we never travel on holidays.

I do have a weather alert radio...living in FLA I have had one for years and I have used it on the road traveling. There is a website that gives you the counties and the megahertz to change your weather radio...I have that printed out.

I have the weather bug on my laptop as well as The Weather Channel...I have their side gadgets so I have instant access to weather.

Since we have a farm and animals I am always aware of weather around here and as boaters we always looked at weather and now motorhome travel has us doing the same.

The one thing that concerns me is being in a motorhome during severe weather. I have seen many photos on Orlando's tv stations of the damage done by high winds and our small tornadoes.

Thank you once again...

Pat

Hi Pat,

Don't be too concerned about bad weather in a coach. I've survived an F1 tornado and a very bad hail storm. For me, the thing to remember is slides in (main slide first) and jacks down.

We'll be right behind you leaving Florida for the north country.

Hey, hey, Gary...now I would never have thought of pulling in the slides in high winds...fantastic idea and thanks for that hint.

When we were in the Keys last May, a storm blew up right off the campground we were staying in...it would not move, it just sat there.

They had closed the bridge which was just a quarter mile from the campground (Fiesta Key) and that storm just pounded us...the bus rocked and I was ready to abandon ship!!

I watched the weather report on tv and then the electric went so we had to sit through that and hope it would pick up some steam and move which it eventually did but I was not a happy camper.

I am looking forward to heading down the road...you have a safe trip driving north and I will be thinking of you. Thanks, Gary, P

We live in western Pa and can tell you that over the past 30 some years by end of April the severe weather (snow) is done. You will get some rain and thunder but its mild. We are currently setting in Georgia left Florida last week starting the trek back north not planning on arriving back in Pa until mid April. Enjoy your trip it's a beautiful state