Sign in to follow this  
eric@babin.com

MAGNUM ENERGY INVERTER AMP DRAW?

We tripped the park 50amp breaker which was strange since I didn't think we were pulling many amps.... only 1 a/c and a dryer.... so, I checked my amp draw.... it was almost 50 amps.... I turned everything off except LED lights, so it should have dropped to about 2 amps.... one on each line.... but Line 2 was reading 18-20 amps.... turned breakers off one at a time.... it was the inverter.... but, with the inverter breaker off the fridge was also off.  

Now remember.... we're plugged into shore power this whole time.

I went to the inverter and switched the battery cut-off at the inverter to "off".  RV Amp draw dropped to what it should be (2 amps total).  And the fridge stayed on.

What I noticed while the battery switch was still in the "on" position is that the Magnum Energy panel was reading "Battery +120" (something like that... it was certainly over 100!)  Is that normal? (see picture below.... this is with the batter cut-off in the "off" position.  

I guess my question is this.... Have I just never noticed my inverter draws that much amperage?  Or, do I have a problem?

IMG_2364.jpg

Thinking you have an abnormal load on the charger, this is most often caused by a shorted 6 volt house battery or 2.  The chassis battery can also place a high current load depending on how the charging circuit wiring is setup.

What is the age of the current age of the batteries and how long has it been scene you have added distilled water to the batteries - if they are wet cell type. 

Also, what is the coach battery temperature  sense'r reading. When the temperature drops the charge current also increases and you get a higher water evaporation rate.

It might be time to check the hydrometer readings of the battery cells ! 

By chance is the engine block heater been left on? 

L-1 breaker is the common side of a 50 amp system used to power the charger / inverter and one heat pump, while L-2 breaker supplies a second heat pump setup.

Rich.

6 hours ago, DickandLois said:

Thinking you have an abnormal load on the charger, this is most often caused by a shorted 6 volt house battery or 2.  The chassis battery can also place a high current load depending on how the charging circuit wiring is setup.

What is the age of the current age of the batteries and how long has it been scene you have added distilled water to the batteries - if they are wet cell type. 

Also, what is the coach battery temperature  sense'r reading. When the temperature drops the charge current also increases and you get a higher water evaporation rate.

It might be time to check the hydrometer readings of the battery cells ! 

By chance is the engine block heater been left on? 

L-1 breaker is the common side of a 50 amp system used to power the charger / inverter and one heat pump, while L-2 breaker supplies a second heat pump setup.

Rich.

It's a 2014 Itasca Ellilpse 42qd.  I purchased the coach used in mid-2018.  I assume the batteries are original / so about 6 years old?  I have them checked each October.  Last check I was told they are fine.

Batter temp reads 19c.  (plugged into shore power)

I did turn the engine block heater on yesterday morning for about 3 hours.  It was not on at the time, nor is it now.

Eric.

Coach battery sense'r reading"?  Not sure what that is, or where to check? This is a picture of the sensor I mentioned. It is installed to help control the charge rate  the batteries are receiving. 

This is the charger / Inverter manual  link. Page 19 of the manual explains the sensor operation and proper location.

https://www.nexusrv.com/fckimages/pdf/Magnum_Inverter_and_Charger_Manual.pdf

This is a link to the Remote control operation manual.

https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/sites/default/files/MagArchive/64-0003-Rev-D-ME-RC.pdf

3399-600x600.jpg

Rich.

36 minutes ago, DickandLois said:

Eric.

Coach battery sense'r reading"?  Not sure what that is, or where to check? This is a picture of the sensor I mentioned. It is installed to help control the charge rate  the batteries are receiving. 

This is the charger / Inverter manual  link. Page 19 of the manual explains the sensor operation and proper location.

https://www.nexusrv.com/fckimages/pdf/Magnum_Inverter_and_Charger_Manual.pdf

This is a link to the Remote control operation manual.

https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/sites/default/files/MagArchive/64-0003-Rev-D-ME-RC.pdf

3399-600x600.jpg

Rich.

I found the reading under "tech" menu on the panel.  It was reading 19c but, of course, I'm plugged into shore power.  At least I know where to check now. 

Update:

I turned the battery cut off back to "on" this morning.

Everything seems normal now.

See pictures below.... this is what it is reading this morning. "Batter +" is now down to 34A.

aIMG_2369.jpg

bIMG_2368.jpg

cIMG_2366.jpg

dIMG_2367.jpg

Thanks for the feedback! 

One more question, What is the model number of your display? Have not been able to find the one pictured on the Magnum web pages.

The fact the your batteries are in the 6 year old range, things can change quickly from day to day. 

I just replaced both 31 series chassis batteries, one of them had a shorted out cell and the other one was still holding a good charge; but I changed them both out.  The good one will become part of a power UPC system that will power things up during short power outages. I tend to re-purpose everything. LOL

Rich.

2 hours ago, ERIC@BABIN.COM said:

I can't find a model number on the faceplate. However, a google search shows it is probably an ME MR:

https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/sites/default/files/MagArchive/64-0031-Rev-A-Web-ME-MR.pdf

Thanks for the link Eric. That is what I was looking for ! Good information publication date was 2009.

Rich.

OK!  It's a month since this was Posted.  Thank you Eric & Rich for the Links!  I have 2 ME2812's...one bank was working, the other not...I followed all the steps in the Links and after 30 hours, was ready to buy a new one...it was inverting, but not charging & we're at the fish camp on 50 amp, nothing wrong with shore power (we have 3 different 50 amp) and I tried them all.

Then when Linda said, forget it...I remembered the one thing I didn't look at.  On the side off the inverter there is a black CB and it was out, I reset it and after about 30 sec, steady green light...Inside the coach, the controller showed inverting & charging, Bulk 13.8 amp  at +124 A.  Now, 3 hours later, Absorb 14.1 at +17!  Oh Happy day!

DD69.  I agree with you, Float should be 13.1 at 5 amp!!!  45 is Bulk or Absorb...So, perhaps a bad cell?  Over charging?

Too all of you and yours, Merry Christmas and Joy!