Sign in to follow this  
sweenrv

hydraulic leveling jack hose replacement

Live in the Spartanburg, SC area. In need of having the hydraulic leveling jack hoses replaced on a 2009 Damon Tuscany Class A. No leaks yet, but old hoses are showing cracks in outer jacket. Anyone have experience with something similar in my area, and preferably advice on a good service center or other. Thanks 

sweenrv,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

What brand are the jacks?

I know with HWH jacks/lines there are numbers on each end of each hose with the PN.  From HWH's website you can order hose replacements.  Having them on-hand when you take the coach in will speed the process.

sweenrv,

Welcome to the Forum.

By the way you asked the question it appear you do some of your own work. If so remove the hose take it to a hydraulic shop and have them make one for you. You will find that they can make the hose while you wait and for a lot less them a shop would charge for a factory hose and a much shorter wait time.

Herman

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the rapid replies. It is a Lippert System on this 2009 coach, and assumed Lippert supplied jacks. I am the 2nd or 3rd owner of this coach, and can't confirm. 

As to working on it, yes, in fact thought about turning it into a DIY project. However, if I replace one line I plan to replace all ... some 10 or so hose assemblies, estimated 170' of hose, and untold fittings. An additional concern would be the hydraulic spill on the driveway, besides just my body access under the coach with the leveling jacks retracted.

Since starting this thread, I have reached out a company called Carolina Truck Care and have scheduled a 12/2 appointment for estimate, etc...

I will continue to follow this thread should additional advice or local shop reviews be posted

Thank you again

Robert

I have the same system, mine was being cut in half at the fitting for being cut to short.  I see nothing wrong with yours.  Do you have any leaks?  

manholt,

I do not have any leaks at the fittings or along any of the hoses at this time. I showed the pictures to a hydraulic supply shop, in preparation for personally taking on the job, and were told the cracks were due to "age" ... and less expensive hose being used. My concern is the eventual or potential hose/system leak .... and with my luck, 11pm on a Friday night.

Robert

Help me here, what I am seeing is the actual hoses are braided steel with a covering of some kind. Perhaps some kind of anti chafing cover. But it doesn't  look durable enough for that. If you have no damage to the steel line from chafing/fraying or any leaking at/where the end fittings are attached you are probably wasting your money replacing them. 

Bill

WILDBILL,

The braiding beneath the outer cover looks white (synthetic fiber  - nylon?) and not metallic. The cracks are everywhere, at the earlier pictures - valve assembly, and near the cylinders (attached). I don't want to waste money, but just trying to be proactive.

Robert

20191114_151642.jpg

20191114_151808.jpg

I agree with being "proactive". I would keep eye on them and revisit changing them next years annual. If you see any serious degrading of the condition. They might outlast you.;)

Bill

Ok, Safari coaches with main slide has similar problems except fluid seeps into outer jacket exhibiting bumps/pimples what ever you want to call it but steady deterioration and eventually small leaks. DITY sure just determine new routing to make it feasible. Materials can be gotten from discounthydraulichose.com 1/4 100R hose is inexpensive and so are "field serviceable" fittings from same source. All you need is a small vice and a couple 9 inch crescent wrenches (adjustable) and a bunch of time. Buy a good hose cutter and you will save a hole lot of money! That job conservatively is worth a couple thousand dollars. righty tighty lefty loosey does not apply to "field serviceable" hose end it goes in backwards and the the nut tying the two together is righty tighty. 

WILDBILL & RSBILLEDWARDS.

I am appreciative of the feedback, advice and "discounthydraulichose" website. Haven't open the wallet yet ... weighing the options, and will still get a quote from Carolina Truck Care.

Thanks

Robert

Robert, I had all mine replaced last year.  2 had broke off at fitting while driving...toad was a  mess (used Dawn).  I parked in a RV Park, got the toad clean, called a Hydraulic hose shop...they sent out 2 short, skinny guys who measured each line + 12" for slack.  Hoses & fittings was $930, labor $300!  I think the 2 guys where Latino.  I mostly use Air Level.

13 hours ago, RSBILLEDWARDS said:

Ok, Safari coaches with main slide has similar problems except fluid seeps into outer jacket exhibiting bumps/pimples what ever you want to call it but steady deterioration and eventually small leaks.

FWIW some Beaver (and probably Safari) coaches from that 1999-2000 period were built with main slide hoses that weren't spec'd at sufficient pressure.  Ours totally failed ~8 years ago and were replaced.  The original hoses were rated at 2,500 psi; we were told they should have been rated for at least 5,000 psi. 

We were in Sioux Falls at the time; a local shop fabricated replacement hoses and a truck service center installed them.  The biggest issue was threading them along the coach's frame member.  The old hoses were flushed and left in place.

40 minutes ago, docj said:

The original hoses were rated at 2,500 psi; we were told they should have been rated for at least 5,000 psi.

The OP has a 2009 coach with 3000 psi lines. Who ever said you need a 5,000 psi line on a RV?

Bill

3 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

The OP has a 2009 coach with 3000 psi lines. Who ever said you need a 5,000 psi line on a RV?

Bill

I was responding to the post by RSBILLEDWARDS  And for your information, I was advised by Beaver Coach Sales and Service in Bend OR that the lines for my main slide need to have that capacity.  That was after my original lines ruptured.

manholt

Thanks, I'll stick a few bottles of Dawn in the basement until i get it all resolved.

docj, WILDBILL,

If replaced, planning to stay with a 3,000 psi rated product

Thanks for the help

Robert

I have 3,000 HD psi hoses.  

Beaver & Country Coach, like Foretravel was over built, that's why the product is still running strong!  5,000 psi, does not surprise me!  I'm looking at a 2007 Beaver Thunder on a 2006 chassis, with a 2005 CAT 525hp now...we will go & look at it in Jan.  Yes, I have $ on it, to hold it.

Bill E.  I have always thought so!  Same with yours!  Most bang for the $$$...then we'll talk about your propane system, I'm still interested.

We don't want to be stuck with 3 DP's.  Linda's need to go to PPL, we need mine until after Feb. The Beaver is in the same area, that yours was! 

I know this is an older thread, but will offer this information.

As always the devil is in the details. The price per foot can hide a number of things. I used the specification for one manufacture. Hose size specked, is 412. Very common on hydraulic systems for Motorhomes. Shop around and ask question. Pressure range is not the only thing to consider. Should you get overwhelmed. There are some  good members that will offer there thoughts.

Rich

The chart will not stay in format when saved. Hope you can fallow it. Items under the High lighted columns always shift left. 

PERFORMANCE CHARACTERISTICS

APPLICATION

Hydraulic, Agriculture/Forestry, Construction, Material Handling

SPECIFICATIONS MET

TUBE TYPE

Nitrile (NBR)              HOSE REINFORCEMENT MATERIAL & STRUCTURE                      COVER MATERIAL                               MINIMUM OPERATING TEMPERATURE                  WEIGHT                                                  One-high-tensile steel wire braid                                  Synthetic rubber, Synthetic rubber with                                 -40 °C / -40 °F                                        0,08 / o0,23kg 

special polyethylene coating                                                                                                                                               MAXIMUM OPERATING TEMPERATURE         MINIMUM BURST PRESSURE                  MEDIA                                                          COMPATIBLE  FITTING                                                    100 °C / -212 °F  (Air) 70 °C   (Water) 85 °C                  48,0 MPa  / 6800 psi               Hydraulic Fluids, Air, Water            Compatible with 2-piece fittings for use with adjustable crimpers

and 10049 series shell, Compatible with 2-piece fitting

only 47-series nipple  with adjustable crimpers only

(47 series nipple and 10049 series shell)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

NOMINAL HOSE INSIDE DIAMETER                    HOSE INSIDE DIAMETER            HOSE I.D. (SIZE)           HOSE OUTSIDE DIAMETER                   MAXIMUM OPERATING PRESSURE

DN5 - 10                                                    3/16 to 3/8 inch  /   4.8 - 9.5 mm               -3 to -6                    9.1 - 14.0 mm  /  0,36 - 0,55 inch             12,0 MPa / 1700 psi  / 120 bar

MINIMUM BEND RADIUS                                   WEIGHT (PER UNIT OF MEASURE)

20 - 40 mm  /  3/4 - 1.5 inch                               0.08 - 0.23 kg/m  /  0.05 - 0.15 lb/ft

4/2/2020