fagnaml

Heat Pump Operation for a Newbie

My still "new to me" Newmar Ventana LE came equipped with two Dometic Penguin 15,000 BTU air conditioners / heat pumps.   This is the first time I've owned heat pumps so I decided to give them a try this past Saturday night (11/23/19) after LSU's blow-out win over Arkansas.  This morning (Sunday 11/24/19) it was a very brisk 38 F in Baton Rouge but the inside of the MH was warm and cozy using the heat pumps.   There was no noticeable difference in sound, generator operation, etc. in heating mode versus when those "units" were in cooling mode during the hot September football weekends. 

"Google" says heat pumps work well until the ambient temperature drops to 32 F at which it's better to use a furnace (two propane furnaces in the Ventana LE).  For those that have heat pumps, what is your overall experience?   Is Google correct about switching from heat pump to furnace when the outside temperature is 32 F or colder?

When the temperature is low and the humidity high you get ice build up on the coil on your roof then it has to reverse to melt 

so after awhile it become less efficient  

I change mine over to Aqua Hot at 40...woke up one morning and thought my AC was on, Lord it was cold, 34 outside & same inside!  Lesson learned as bm noted.

Our Heat Pump automatically switches over to the propane furnace at about 40 F. If the forecast indicates a chilly night, I generally switch over to the furnace before retiring.  

I really like having the Heat Pump option, works really well when its cooler overnight, like in South Texas or Florida in January/February.

Ian, it was in Tampa, Fl. during Pirates day that I froze...got down to 27 by sunup! 2014.

Are you headed South yet?

Carl, I am surprised it didn't change over to gas automatically. My old Bounder does. You don't have a gas furnace but it should default to the AH for heat.

Bill 

Nope.  Don't have that on this coach or the 2011 Allegro Bus that I froze in!  AH is a different animal, than attwood.

Ian...we will be using a Palm tree in the yard for lights at Christmas, well be at the camp 123 miles South of San Antonio from 12/10 - 2/01/20 !  Feel free to frolic in the cold and snow, with a hot libation...I'll take the frosted mug & beer!

you guys make me happy I just installed a new 15K and heat pump in my old Panther last week. Hopefully headed out just after the first of the month to try it out; 

14 hours ago, IanBullock said:

Our Heat Pump automatically switches over to the propane furnace at about 40 F. If the forecast indicates a chilly night, I generally switch over to the furnace before retiring.  

I really like having the Heat Pump option, works really well when its cooler overnight, like in South Texas or Florida in January/February.

That's how my basement heat pump  operates. The outside temperature change-over depends on humidity level for mine, I've seen it switch to LP at 45° outside, a couple times not until 35°(although it was quite inefficient anyway)

RSBILLEDWARDS; in Sep. we looked at an '05 Panther. That was the first time I saw a Jacuzzi tub in a MH. I walked away though, it was in sad condition, I estimated $15K to restore everything and they asked $98K.

14 hours ago, manholt said:

Ian...we will be using a Palm tree in the yard for lights at Christmas, well be at the camp 123 miles South of San Antonio from 12/10 - 2/01/20 !  Feel free to frolic in the cold and snow, with a hot libation...I'll take the frosted mug & beer!

So far no snow here. I'm kind of hoping it stays that way until after we've hit the road but that's probably just wishful thinking. 

My current coach has one AC with heat pump in bedroom! :wacko:  I had a 2007 WB Tour, it had basement AC/Heat & switched back/fourth, just like the house...set it at 72 and forget it.  When I traveled by other means, I had it set at 66 low & 76 high.  Texas weather! :P

Rayin  Reality is not always part of the sellers expectation. I do not get the use it up and then try to recoup your overhead without spending a dime mentality. This is a pretty prevalent attitude if one visits A Camping World lot and looks at what is there on consignment, amazing pile of beat up coaches.

On 11/25/2019 at 4:35 AM, manholt said:

I change mine over to Aqua Hot at 40...woke up one morning and thought my AC was on, Lord it was cold, 34 outside & same inside!  Lesson learned as bm noted.

Exactly the same for me.  Below 40 they (mine at least) do not work on heat.  In fact, I'd rather not bother with the heat pump and use the AH.  The AH is quieter and provides much more evenly divided heat.

Ditto on using AH. Mine will switch automatically but I prefer the quiet of the AH and seems to heat a lot better.

Previous MH had propane and HP and it also switched automatically.