Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
OldBeaver

Travel from Boise to Las Vegas via Salt Lake City.

Recommended Posts

I got delayed moving my RV to its storage in Arizona and the weather has turned. I was going to drive on Wednesday and Thanksgiving Thursday but there are winter conditions pretty much all across Nevada going from Boise to Las Vegas. Wells and Ely are already getting snow and more is expected.

I was thinking that going on a major interstate would be a much better choice than the undivided highway (93) that crosses Nevada.

How is the drive on I-84 and I-15 between Twin Falls ID and Las Vegas?

I am concerned about good road conditions and not dealing with steep grades.  

 

How is that road maintained if it snows?

Any steep grades? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't remember any steep grades, road was mostly good, 2+ lanes of traffic, you may run into some light snow just before & after the I-70 cut off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would keep a close eye on the forecast. They are forecasting some bad storms. You may want to delay for a few days till it clears off some.

Bill 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

I would keep a close eye on the forecast. They are forecasting some bad storms. You may want to delay for a few days till it clears off some.

Bill 

Thanks Bill,

I am keeping a very close eye on it.

Right now I am sitting in a hotel in Ontario Oregon. I got here last night.

At 10pm the winds very houling like mad here. ..but as of 5:50am it is all dry outside.

I just woke up so it's time to check the weather.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I drove from Ontario, Oregon going towards Salt Lake City. Afrer traveling for about 3 hours, I stopped at a rest area and checked the weather.

It had turned. When I started it was clear. 3 hours later Ogden was reporting heavy snow and Salt Lake City was also showing snow.

I turned around and made it back to my starting point. I am back to Ontario Oregon.

Tomorrow morning I will be heading north to Washington state. I will park it there until after New Year and then try to find a window of clesr weather to get the RV to Arizona.

I84 in Oregon is getting some moisture too but the forecast for tomorrow is better than Utah and Nevada.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, manholt said:

OB, in the parking lot?  I thought you was heading South, not North West?

Sorry. I did not give the complete details.

I was picking up my RV from Ontario Oregon. I normally drive via route 93 through Nevada. Weather looked bad when I checked Wells and Ely (2 towns along the way) so I thought that going I84 to I15 may be better. For one it is a divided highway.

I have driven Route 93 many times and it is not a place I would want to get stranded during the winter.

 

Looks like the winter storm had other plans.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had you gone South thru SLC, the snow line would have changed to rain in Ogden, then clear until more rain this am in Las Vegas.  The system is moving more North than East.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

100 mph winds???  Did someone say that?

I bailed on my trip to AZ and drove all day today through Oregon and Washington. Will park the RV in Washington until after the holidays, do some maintenance and other work that's on my to-do-list and then decide what to do.

I probably should had continued on down to SLC. I just.was not in a mood to drive it in the snow.

Ended up getting some snow in Oregon anyway and I suspect that the terrain is more challenging than if I continued on.

Cabbage Hill was a situation that I wanted to avoid. It had snow chains required. It actually turned out that I could had gone down it without the chains but I did not want to risk it as the road had mixture of snow and clear pavement. 

Still, putting on chains in a cold wet snow and then driving slower than a turtle is not my idea of fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OB, 

You avoided the wind gust's off over 100 at mile marker 68 & 66...blew over 2 semis!  Got it on FOX News.  

We have both family (mine) and friends (ours) in Oregon...weather at all locations was not good.  Coos Bay, Norway, 30 miles E of Bend, Sisters and 40 miles E of The Dalls!  

This person & coach does not do chains!  

Enjoy the Holidays!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...