Lightnup

How careful must I be walking on Class A roof?

2000 Fleetwood Bounder 34’

How cautious do I have to be when walking on top for doing maintenance on A/Cs or forward antennas or sealing the roof? Are there stringers or crossbeams to try to walk on or doesn’t it really matter as long as I’m not stomping around? At 250 lbs, I’m not exactly a little guy and don’t want to put weight where I shouldn’t. Thanks for the input.

Lightnup,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Several factors here:

1. How good is your balance? Something you know better than anyone else.

2. How strong is the roof-- others with the same coach will need to advise you on this.

3. Conditions when you go up there-- certainly dry roof and good shoes beats wet and/or slick shoes.

Carry a line/rope up there and have someone on the ground tie a bucket with your tools in it rather than trying to climb the ladder with hands full.

Wolfe 10 - your point #2 is the one I was most concerned with. I know to be careful when it’s wet and to watch my balance but I was more concerned about avoiding any structurally weak or “no-step” spots.

Would help, if you told us Make/Model.  

I'm 76, 224# at 6 ft. 8 in.  I gave up on roofs of any kind 10 years ago!  My coach is fiberglass and there was 4 tech's up there, 2 months ago! :wacko:

Like others have said, it would depend somewhat on your make and model, but generally speaking you should be able to walk around on any Class A roof without fear of putting your foot through the ceiling.  Now if you have a 20 year old unit and you are tipping the scales at around 300+ you may have an issue.  Actually under those circumstances you may not make it up on the roof because half way up the rear ladder it most likely will pull away from the coach and send you tumbling.....

Lots of stuff up there you must either walk around or trip over...or both.  My roof has three A/Cs, three roof vents, sat/TV/radio antennas, bath sky light, two toilet vents, and a solar panel.  I'm parked where there are metal rafters about four feet above the roof of the coach when parked.  So I must step over some items while ducking under the rafters.

18 hours ago, manholt said:

Would help, if you told us Make/Model.  

I'm 76, 224# at 6 ft. 8 in.  I gave up on roofs of any kind 10 years ago!  My coach is fiberglass and there was 4 tech's up there, 2 months ago! :wacko:

I listed it first thing in my post - 2000 Bounder 34D.

When we owned a 5er, I would determine where the roof braces were by observing the roof on a cool morning when there is dew  on it. The roof braces will stand-out, I remember their locations,  and try to only step on them when I was on the roof. If I was really working on the roof I hauled up a 3' sq piece of  1/2" plywood to stand/work on. Our MH is not made so lightly, I can step anywhere without the roof deflecting.

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 5:33 PM, Lightnup said:

2000 Fleetwood Bounder 34’

How cautious do I have to be when walking on top for doing maintenance on A/Cs or forward antennas or sealing the roof? Are there stringers or crossbeams to try to walk on or doesn’t it really matter as long as I’m not stomping around? At 250 lbs, I’m not exactly a little guy and don’t want to put weight where I shouldn’t. Thanks for the input.

Dunno about other construction, but a wet fiberglass roof is slick as greased goose mess.  I'm agile and have good balance and being up there puckers me tightly.

Unless I'm up there to wash the roof....which doesn't get done often....I only go up when it is dry.

Headed up on ours tomorrow to wash and wax it. Monaco has treads built into the fiberglass down both sides to walk on for grip. 6 years its worked well. 

I used to have my wife wash it, then the kids told her to stop as she was in her 70's. Now it get's done once or twice a year by a mobile washing company.  Darn kids!

16 hours ago, UrbanHermit said:

Dunno about other construction, but a wet fiberglass roof is slick as greased goose mess.  I'm agile and have good balance and being up there puckers me tightly.

Yes if you are worried about sliping you can put some strips of "scateboard" tape to give you a better safer surface to walk on. 

Bill

To resolve an antenna problem, I had 3 men on my roof that were standing less than 5 feet apart to discuss the issue. They probably weighed more than 280 pounds each. So I doubt there us a problem with weight. It is more of a problem with your safety. 

There is no way you'll find me or Linda on our roof...yea, I did do it 30 years ago!  Now at 77, I'll sit in my chair with an Arnold Palmer and watch!

Joe, your 30 years my Jr.!!!😂

Lightnup, If you feel comfortable on your roof, don't worry the roof supporting you. Yes it has stringers up there to support all the various penetrations in the roof. I get my 77 year old body up there all the time doing maintenance and washing away the dirt. I have been up to 240#s and the roof didn't cave in. Went back to the jym and got back down to my fighting weight. Only 210 now. My 25 year old roof appreciats it. 😊 The EPDM doesn't get near as slick as fiberglass when wet.

Richard

First things first. Check with your manufacturer.  Call their customer service and give the vehicle information, 
they will tell you the weight capacity of your roof.  
A good rule of thumb, if your motorhome did not come with a ladder you may need to use a weight distribution board. That means it is not for walking on. We have a 2019 Thor Hurricane34j, it is rated for 300 lbs on the roof.  
Be very careful on the roof.  

Do not walk on roof with shoes or boots that can catch rocks and pebbles, THAT can rip your roof.  Do not go on roof that has no ladder, that usually is because the manufacturer does not feel it is safe to walk on roof.