sgtjoe

Continental Tire PSI Rising 20 PSI

Talked to the dealer today.  Continental says that it is the different size tire, plus the thicker rubber and that I am at a lower altitude.  20 psi increase is nothing to be concerned about.  When I hit 20psi in the two tires, they never went any higher.  They said if my weight is correct then to stay at the 100psi.  We will see what happens when I head home and the elevation is a little higher.

On 12/7/2019 at 7:27 AM, jleamont said:

SGT, I have the exact same issue with my LR inner dual (my spare is installed). The LR inner dual on our coach is an off brand tire. The others are BF Goodrich, the off brand tire runs at a different Temperature and the PSI climbs higher than the others (around 10-15 higher). One would assume that tire in my case is carrying more load but the tread depth is the same as the other tires back there and I got so concerned I pulled it and measured the circumference of both LR tires.  

Are the Continental’s low rolling resistance tires like the Michelin’s were? 

In my case the spare was advertised as an eco tire but not to the quality level as the BFG’s were. The TPMS proves that in my scenario.

Sorry, I missed the comment on your duals.

As I covered in detail in my FMCA Convention seminars and on my tire blog proper matching of duals is very important. The different temperatures and pressure rise means the load is not being distributed equally between each pair. One tire is larger than the other and is carrying extra load. The OC of the tires when inflated but not loaded needs to be within 3/4".

This can lead to early life failure or even wear-out of one tire in a pair of duals.