fagnaml

"Device" for Placing / Removing Jack Pads

One of my most hated tasks after arriving at the gravel RV lot for an LSU football game is laying on my stomach to place / remove pads under the leveling jacks (I use leveling pads as I'm never quite sure if the jacks will push into a soft spot of gravel.    Does anyone have a clever device / method of placing / removing jack pads without getting into a prone position?

The jack pads I use are similar to these heavy duty rubber pads with rope handles--> https://www.amazon.com/DEDC-Ergonomic-Stabilizing-Leveling-Prevent/dp/B081JY2KVG/ref=sr_1_59?hvadid=78477707842813&hvbmt=bb&hvdev=c&hvqmt=b&keywords=rv+rubber+jack+pads&qid=1575932423&sr=8-59

Make a T handle to push them into position. My trouble was that I was always a foot or so out of position front to rear. so, I added reflectors in line with the Jack positions (right reflector) and with the side marker lights. 

The reflector cut like a down arrow (left lower reflector), points to the sewer drain location; so a spotter can line up the sewer and dump station. 

7F29BD67-F7A9-4393-A1AB-E968EF84B364.jpeg

Ross's idea of a t handle and marker showing the correct location is a great idea, only thing that I would add is a camera that can be pointed up to the jack to let you know that it is in exact location. Maybe something like this https://www.amazon.com/Compatible-NIDAGE-Inspection-Semi-Rigid-Inspecting/dp/B0791DG4FK/ref=sr_1_18?keywords=wall+camera&qid=1575936173&sr=8-18, this way you can remain standing to place into position.

Drill a hole in each corner the diameter of the awing rod. Use the rod to position the blocks.  Holes should not be a problem for the hard rubber.

Mike.

Seldom that we use Jacks, have and prefer Air level, but when Jacks are used we do as Wayne suggested.

My Tigers are doing well, great game Saturday!  Your  not the only one that went to LSU..:D

Wayne --

The idea of using an awning rod is terrific if only I had an awning rod (I have an automatic, powered Carefree awning).   I'll do some looking of for an awning rod.

Carl --

The Ventana LE ain't fancy enough to have air leveling hence the hydraulic jacks used routinely.  I only use jack pads on unpaved spots such as LSU's gravel RV lot.   With regards to LSU, they are having a fantastic year!   My Tiger Athletic Foundation (TAF) priority points level is finally at the point after 15 years that the wife and I are getting two tickets to the Peach Bowl on December 18!   We're looking forward to watching the Tiger defeat the Sooners and enjoying Atlanta for a few days.

17 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

Drill a hole in each corner the diameter of the awing rod. Use the rod to position the blocks.  Holes should not be a problem for the hard rubber.

I've been doing it that way for over 40 years.

Awning rods on Amazon are real cheap. Even saw one for $5.

Question though, on you MH when the awing is extended is there a little tab that sticks down in the middle of the awning?  I am very surprised that you don't have one as if something were to happen and power be lost to the motor the awning would have to be retracted. I sure wouldn't want it to just snap all the way back in without control.  Just curious.

Heck, get a piece of stiff rod and bend the end about 1-1/2 inch 90 degrees. Bend the other end to make a handle. I'm thinking welding rod or similar.

2 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

get a piece of stiff rod and bend the end about 1-1/2 inch 90 degrees. Bend the other end to make a handle. I'm thinking welding rod or similar.

Home Depot, Tractor Supply sells bar stock (different thicknesses and lengths) you could bend into something that would work. Bench vise and a hammer, get creative. 

Mike, all my awnings are elect. except one (I did not want to pay $2,100 for a 14' window awning), that's why I have a awning rod.  It collapses into 14"!  Linda found it at CW, in Kathy!

Second the awning rod (or any angle tipped rod) idea.  Have used one for years.  In addition to holes in the corners of the pads, I attached a loop of cord to each pad.  The loop is much easier to snag to pull out the pads.  In addition, you can carry all the pads in one hand using the loop "handles".

I like it. You forgot it can double as a dust mop handle.:P

I put straps on my pads so it is easier to snag them and move them around but I like that handle.

Bill 

The "Fuller dust mop handle" from my childhood days 40 years ago would be a great tool to maneuver leveling pads.  That image made me wonder if an awning pull rod / some other rod would work and by shear coincidence Google found this Camco awning pull rod at Walmart completed with a customer comment from 2016 that the rod was purchased to use with leveling pads --> https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Easy-Reach-Awning-Opener/29764392?wmlspartner=wmtlabs&adid=22222222222000000000&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=o&wl2=c&wl3=10352200394&wl4=pla-1103028060075:aud-807615483&wl12=29764392_0&wl14=rv awning wand&veh=sem&msclkid=a6ac45a78e9f1f262b6b1b965096dc1b

They "snap pads" are a great idea to pursue.  Thanks!

You guys are making this way too hard.  My jack pads, made out of heavy duty lumber, have logged many thousands of miles....and never been used.  However, I do keep an old broom handle with a nail with a head bent to a 90 degree angle in the end....just in case.

9 hours ago, FIVE said:

You guys are making this way too hard.

Agreed. You could easily cut a bungee cord, make a loop, nail to the wood and your homemade tool would have something to hook onto to remove those from under the coach.

20 hours ago, fagnaml said:

The "Fuller dust mop handle" from my childhood days 40 years ago would be a great tool to maneuver leveling pads.  That image made me wonder if an awning pull rod / some other rod would work and by shear coincidence Google found this Camco awning pull rod at Walmart completed with a customer comment from 2016 that the rod was purchased to use with leveling pads --> https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Easy-Reach-Awning-Opener/29764392?wmlspartner=wmtlabs&adid=22222222222000000000&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=o&wl2=c&wl3=10352200394&wl4=pla-1103028060075:aud-807615483&wl12=29764392_0&wl14=rv awning wand&veh=sem&msclkid=a6ac45a78e9f1f262b6b1b965096dc1b

They "snap pads" are a great idea to pursue.  Thanks!

Actually, I have 1" thick plywood in 12" squares with 1/2" holes in opposing corners for jack pads, and use my awning rod to position them. Snaps pads are in my future, at 77 getting up and down is not pleasant.