Sign in to follow this  
deanknutson

kwikee leveling systems

I have a 2008 Winnebago Destination with the  kwikee  leveling system.   One rear and one front jack will creep down 1/2 inch during storage, enough to set off the alarm. Hitting the all up button will retract the jacks and good to go, however  the jacks will creep down when I am driving and set off the alarm. It takes about 3-4 hours for the jacks to creep far enough to set off the alarm. I am wondering if this could be the jacks that are allowing the bypass or the pump? How do I trouble shoot to determine?  A second problem is the Auto Level button will not activate the system, I have to use the manual level buttons. Could this be a problem with control panel or could this all be related? 

57 minutes ago, deanknutson said:

I have a 2008 Winnebago Destination with the  kwikee  leveling system.   One rear and one front jack will creep down 1/2 inch during storage, enough to set off the alarm. Hitting the all up button will retract the jacks and good to go, however  the jacks will creep down when I am driving and set off the alarm. It takes about 3-4 hours for the jacks to creep far enough to set off the alarm. I am wondering if this could be the jacks that are allowing the bypass or the pump? How do I trouble shoot to determine?  A second problem is the Auto Level button will not activate the system, I have to use the manual level buttons. Could this be a problem with control panel or could this all be related? 

Dean, Welcome to the FMCA Forum!

The best starting point might be to check out this U-Tube video and watch the last portion on how to navigate there web sight to get some documentation that covers your system. The link is very basic and leans more to parts, but the last portion offers info on the use of there web sight to find files.

link--

Rich.

You might consider fabricating a device to secure the 2 jacks in the up position as a temporary solution until you can determine the problem. Do the jacks involved have external spring to retract the jacks, if so it would be simple?

Jim

They do not have external springs and was wondering if that might be the simplest solution.  It won't solve the " auto mode not functioning" but will keep me mobile for now. The unit is in winter storage (MN) for the next month or so and want to be able to travel to warmer weather before I trouble shoot !! I should be able to purchase some external springs I can attach to keep them in the full up position.

3 minutes ago, deanknutson said:

They do not have external springs and was wondering if that might be the simplest solution.  It won't solve the " auto mode not functioning" but will keep me mobile for now. The unit is in winter storage (MN) for the next month or so and want to be able to travel to warmer weather before I trouble shoot !! I should be able to purchase some external springs I can attach to keep them in the full up position.

I just saw an article who had similar problem and he drained a pint of the hydraulic fluid out of the reservoir and added a pint of SEA FOAM automatic transmission treatment and cycled the jacks a few time and it corrected his problem. He then change the hydraulic fluid. Since reading you posting I decided to look at the fluid in my leveling system and it doesn't look real good real dark in color for automatic transmission fluid. Coach is 16 years, I've had it for 9 and haven't changed it so it is probably long over due. 

Jim

Thanks Jim, I am thinking the fluid change might be a good idea, I'm thinking I just have a sticking valve or dried out seal either in the pump (ie solenoid) or in the jack itself and the change of fluid may help flush the system, along with using the system more often may help, this last year the unit was stored more than it was used!  Still have to figure out the auto mode problem.

Dean,

In my previous life before our 2015 Tour 42q we had a 2008 Winnebago Destination 39W.  Quite annoying to have that ding, ding, ding going off for miles down the road.  I could go into a long long disertation on how we tried to have it fixed, even at the Winnebago service center in Forest City, IA - but I'll spare you that as what I'm about to tell you is long enough. We had this problem for 8 or so years. Don't despair, I'll give you a "work around."

Do not worry about the jacks dropping down an inch or so. When they do, it slips the magnetic reed switch away from each other causing the alarm. Each jack as a reed switch and they are all in series with each other. 

Work around if you decide to do it - no responsibility on my part, just something that worked for us.

The jacks will not extend any further than what you are experiencing now. When it happened to us we stopped ever 50, 100 miles or so and check and they never came down any further.  That got old, fast. 

If yours is like mine was, as you walk up the mid entry steps there is the control panel.  If you remove it you will see a four pin plug with the red wire being the 12v. At first I would just unplug that plug and the alarm would stop, however with that real thin lauan paneling and soft wood brace the screws did not seem to  want to tighten. Tooth picks helped but I wanted a better solution.

Follow the red wire. You should find a little box type connector that it feeds to. Mine was loose inside the cabinet.  I don't know what that was.  Go buy a single pole toggle switch of any kind with a shank length that will fit completely through the hole that you will drill for it, on the face board for the control panel. Make sure you can screw the retainer nut on the toggle switch. I used toggle versus rocker for that reason. Got it at Radio Shack, but that is no longer a viable option since they closed shop.

Get some spade lugs that will slip onto the back of the box type connector.  Disconnect the red wire from the box connector and feed it to one side of the toggle switch.  From the other side of the toggle switch run a wire to the little box connector.  Plug the white power connector back into the control panel.

Raise the jacks. Throw the toggle switch - no alarm

When you get to a CG, throw the toggle switch to give power to the control box. Extend the jacks and leave the toggle switch in the on position. When retracting and jacks are up, turn the toggle to off and go undisturbed down the highway. 

After a time of doing that I just stopped checking to see if the jacks had come down any further and at a CG I would sometimes walk around just to see before leveling.

Hey, worked for me - happy trails.

p.s., until set up just remove the plug from the back of the control panel.

Dean, one other thing.  Use a paper towel or cheesecloth, a turkey baster (don't tell the wife), stir the pump a little with the turkey baster and then suck some out of the pump. Not in the driveway but take the paper towel/cheesecloth to a "safe" area and squirt it on to one of them. If you see residue, rust, etc., settling on the towel  you could have a piece of that interrupting the return valve flow.  You would have to do a complete purge of the system if that is the case and add new fluid.

Thanks Wayne, that's the same unit I have.  Glad I'm looking for ideas, the repair shop wanted to replace the jacks at a cost of $1,400 plus labor each and my response was NO they can't just go bad sitting there, bad seal maybe but not the point of needing replacement.

Did you ever have any problems with the Auto Leveling position?  There are telling my the panel is bad and needs to be replaced, any comment?

Probably only needs to be re zeroed.  Since they already tried to take you to the cleaners for $6,000, I'm surprised you still trust them!  Just make sure your on a level surface to begin with & your pad has light.  I use a paved parking lot or my garage, if home.  You should have the info in your owners manual, if not then go on Internet and find your model, there are many vidios showing how to re set to zero.  Mine would not work for you, mine are more Heavy Duty...57,000+ lbs!

Dean,

I never had a problem with the auto level but I did have to re-zero it and it is a painless process.  The jacks can be extended and the coach level to reset the  level sensor. It is not necessary to have the jacks up and the coach level. Of course, reasonably level is not a bad idea, but just leveled with the jacks down.

My method was to level the coach using a carpenters level or equivalent just on the floor by the controller. I would use the auto-level function and then refine it manually. Then reset the level sensor.

Do you have the manuals for the 2008 Destination?

For your auto-level not working, give LCI a call. They have been helpful with me in the past.

Hope the OP gets back to us on what he found. One thing I have found is that you need to "exercise" the jacks just like some of the other systems on your coach. I also wipe down the shafts if they have been down for more than a couple of days. 

Bill

As far as the zeroing process, I have tried several times following the manuals instructions, will not reset, all I get is a flashing red light that translates to "lost communication with leveling sensor" . I have also called LCI several times and they have no further ideas as to how to trouble shoot the issue. Other than buy a new Panel !!

The motorhome is in storage right now so I have not tried the purging and replacing the fluid. Will be the first thing I try when we get warmer weather or,  I get to warmer weather! 

Dean