mfponter@gmail.com

Twisted frame while leveling

We have had our 37 ft motor home for nearly six years and been full time for just over a year now, been a lot of fun and we love being nomads.  I have read many forums and watched plenty on YouTube, but here’s a problem / mistake I have never read about, levelling the coach on uneven ground, which is normally easy.  This happened to us at City of Rocks in NM two months ago.  The site we chose was sloped both ways.  I let the front jacks down just enough the secure the front, then I lifted the rear to level, but had the lift the read right side a lot more to get the coach completely level, and it doing this, the left front suspension was forced flat, so something HAD to give as unbeknown to me, I was now twisting the motor home which unseated the windshield.  Thankfully it never broke, but I had to resort to duct tape to get home, where it had to removed and reset and sealed into position.

FIVE, what's your tranny?  

Mf.  Welcome to the Forum!

FIVE is right, we need more info, including make of leveling system, coach, DP or Gas?

Merry Chrstmas to you all.

Welcome to the discussion forums!

I'm too late, the horse is out of the barn already;  you now know the reason  to never lift the rear wheels off the ground. The rear wheels keep coach from moving when parked and jacks are down.

Wow, you must have really had a twist in the frame to pop out the windshield. I’ve only read about a few occurrences of that. 

Friends, we have derailed the OP’s topic. Let’s  try and stay on course “Twisted frame while leveling”. 

Thank you 

I would think that if you "Twist" a coach bad enough to pop your windshield...you better take a good look at all seems and caulking!  Alignment of slides & how the other windows are seated.  Also under chassis and Jacks!  

OP was IMHO making a statement of what he did & that he fixed it.  Not really asking for info from us.

MFPointer,  you may want to ask the moderator(s) to shorten your user id to just MFPointer.  This is an open forum and anyone can read it, harvest the email and use it.

What does your manual say for the sequence to level the coach. One side first, front first, rear first?  I would think that there would be some type of safety margin when leveling and it is out of level that much.  I have heard others state that they cracked windshields when leveling.

I would like to know the name and location of that CG so I can avoid it.

On my last coach, a 32 ft diesel pusher Spartan chassis I changed out the leaf springs for air ride and the disc brakes for air brakes.  I had an occasion to have to change a rear tire.  I lifted the rear and then tilted it.  What I forgot was the front was down on the air bags so when I tilted the rear the frame twisted.  I broke the windshield.  After that experience I remember to raise the front so it can tilt side to side.