Sign in to follow this  
TJY168@aol.com

Best Route from Phoenix, AZ to NJ

Question

Hello All! I am a newbie to FMCA and just navigating around this website. Next week I am flying to Phoenix Arizona to pick up my 06 Tropi-cal Class A coach. This is the first time I will be driving from the west coast back home to NJ. I am trying to get some insight from you experienced cross country travels as to what is the best route. I would like to stay south while traveling east in order to avoid any unexpected snow fall. I believe Interstate 20 is a major roadway which can take me accross the US for the most part. I then anticipate picking up Interstate 95 and taking it north into NJ.

If anybody has any guidance for me, it would be appreciated. Thank you and be safe! :rolleyes:

12 answers to this question

Since you are starting in Phoenix, I would check weather in Flagstaff and take I17 to I40. You would save 250 to 300 miles and avoids bad highway in Louisana.

we just came east from Phoenix in late November and took I-10E and then diverted onto I-20 thru abilene & dallas to visit family; continued on I-20 to outside Meridian, MS and then went south & picked up I-10E again outside of Mobile, AL and came across I-10 to Jacksonville, FL. Since we did not come across I-10 all the way east, can not speak for the stretch of I-10 thru TX, LA. Watch out for heavy traffic in El Paso area on I-10. hope it helps and safe travels.

When I leave Mesa in the spring, I usually go to Globe on US 60, then to Lordsburg, NM, on to Deming, NM on to Hatch,NM. (Pick some Hatch Chilis) I then go on I 25 to exit 175 south of Belen and take Hiway 60 again to Vaughn, NM, cut North to Santa Rosa whe I pick up I 40. I bypass Tucson and Albq. The only climb is between Superior, AZ and Globe. Watch the weather.

Take I-40, lots of flying J's and Wally Worlds

we took it to I-81 unless you have your heart set on doing I-95

I'd pick up my rig and go to Quartside for the rest of the winter

Good Luck

Hello All! I am a newbie to FMCA and just navigating around this website. Next week I am flying to Phoenix Arizona to pick up my 06 Tropi-cal Class A coach. This is the first time I will be driving from the west coast back home to NJ. I am trying to get some insight from you experienced cross country travels as to what is the best route. I would like to stay south while traveling east in order to avoid any unexpected snow fall. I believe Interstate 20 is a major roadway which can take me accross the US for the most part. I then anticipate picking up Interstate 95 and taking it north into NJ.

If anybody has any guidance for me, it would be appreciated. Thank you and be safe! :D

Do NOT take I40 this time of year. You WILL run into severe weather. We were just at Kingman and Williams Az and couldn't get to the Petrifed Forest NP. Ridiculous winds and ice. Take I10 all the way to Alabama, then I65 to I85. You want to avoid Tennesse and Kentucky right now. I85 joins I95 at Richmond, Va. Best bet at this time; there aren't any viable better alternatives because of the weather. We are former NJ residents (over 30 years) and moved to Texas in 07; Hopewell near Princeton (there are 2 Hopewells in NJ). Good luck, take care.

We usually take I-10 and/or I-20 both ways across country. I-40 may be a bit far north this time of year. At the I-10/I-20 split in west TX you have a choice... either the '10 through Houiston or the '20 through Dallas Ft. Worth... either way expect a bit of traffic. However there are lots of Walmarts and FLJ's along the way. By the way the'10 in LA is better than it used to be.

One suggestion I can add to the others is to take the Natchez Trace North. This is the only National Scenic Highway which I'd recommend for a Motorhome. There are many rest areas, but most can fit your coach. You can pick it up in Jackson MS off the '20, or head north off the '10 to Natchez MS via a couple of different routes... Natchez is a pretty city and there's a nice CG in Vidalia, LA right across the river. You can take the Trace up to Nashville, TN and then the '40 east to the '81.

Guest Wayne77590

I-10 from the west Texas border to Houston is a fine road, with some of the speed limit in West Texas at 80 mph, if you have a mind to. From Houston To Louisianna is not the greatest, but it is not really that bad. Last time I went through LA, the roads were not bad. If you have a mind to visit New Orleans, KOA West at 11129 Jefferson Hwy New Orleans, LA 70123 phone (504) 467-1792. Otherwise bypass it by picking up i-12 in Baton Rouge, LA.

We stayed there last spring. The CG is nice, but the neighborhood does not look that good when you drive through. There have not been any problems according to the office, and there were not while we were there for four days. Easy driving distance to downtown New Orleans. (Oops, you dont' have a TOAD). What ever you do, don't leave New Orleans East bound on I-10. It is like a roller coaster with the rolls very tight for several miles as you leave town.

As for I-40, or I-20, both can be down right cold with snow and/or ice. Dallas has been known to "freeze in," for a day or two. I-10 is the warmer of the routes this time of year. Average temperatures for San Antonio in February is 68 degrees.

If you do decide on I-10, let me know what your planned stops are and I'll get out one of the little voices in my head and see if I can lead you to a nice CG or two.

I live 40 miles South of Houston, in Texas City, TX.

We took I20 from Texas to Alabama a couple of years ago. I have never been on such bad roads. Many places I couldn't go more than 35 mph or my suspension would bottom. I agree that you'll find weather across Tennessee and Virginia on 40/81, but I've driven it in the snow and the road stays pretty clear. Lots of trucks. I'd go 10 to San Antonio, 35 to Dallas, 30 to Little Rock, 40 to 81, 66 to Washington, 95 (or 50/301) to NJ. Worst parts of the drive: Knoxville and the Washngton Beltway.

Guest Wayne77590

Keep us informed of your schedule and if you are in my area, I'll buy coffee and donuts.

Hello everybody!

We just made it back from Phoenix on Friday night 2/13. Everybodys advise was helpful in one way or another.

We left Phoenix on Tuesday morning and decided to take the I10 route since Flagstaff, Az. received 20 inches of snow Monday night and was expecting another 10 inches on Tuesday. The dealer (Desert Autoplex in Tempe, Az) told us it never rains there but we must have brought 2 inches of New Jersey rain Monday night. (At least we were able to check for roof leaks) We traveled I10 to I20 to I30 to I40 to I81 to I78 into New Jersey. The trip went well considering the extreme winds during the entire trip and Arkansas State Police pulling us over for 1 hour while they searched our coach for narcotics as they thought something was suspicious since they found two VIN #'s on the coach. Even after explaining to them that there is a chasis VIN and coach VIN as well as identifying myself as a police officer, they still continued to pry! Without a doubt, a much different approach of doing police work as we do in New Jersey.

Anyhow, we are back home safe and sound and again thanks to all who posted helpful tips. Be safe!

Guest Wayne77590

I guess that means you will reciprocate in kind if when home you stop a police officer from Arkansas?

Glad you had a safe trip. Maybe some day we'll meet on the road of dreams.