Guest Wayne77590

Extended Service Plan - What Do You Suggest?

Guest Wayne77590

I'm looking for information on "extended service plans." We have a new, 2008, Winnebago Destination, and the factory warranty is pretty good.

Example:

Roof, 10 years

Walls, 3 year, or 36000 miles

Floors, 3 years, or 36000 milles

FL Rail Chassis, 2 years, or 24000 miles

Engine, 5 years, or 200,000 miles

Transmission, 5 years, unlimited mileage.

Many of the other typical items for a Motorhome are covered for 1 or 2 years. (Heating, AC, Refrigerator, etc.)

My present two choices are:

Good Sam ESP, and

1st Extended from the dealer.

Any information you would care to share would be greatly appreciated.

Wayne,

I'm sour on extended warranty plans. I bought GS ESP when we purchased a used motor home in 2001. They didn't require an inspection of the motor home. When I called about a problem the first words out of the agents mouth were, "You haven't had this policy very long." Things went downhill from there. I talked to the shop doing the repair and they said they wouldn't work with GS ESP because they didn't want to pay for anything. Keep in mind this was a "minor" claim. It wouldn't have amounted to more than $500.

So in late 2003 we bought our brand new 2004 motor home from a dealer at a manufacturers motor home show. This time we bought the extended warranty from the dealer. Within a year the dealer went out of business - bankrupt and then opened again on the same location with a new name. I never had to file a claim, we're now past the 5 years. But if I did have to file a claim I wouldn't have anybody at the dealer to back me up in the claim and with the record of the dealer I'm not sure the money ever was paid to the warranty service company. I'm not sure what assurances I would accept on such a deal.

I consider extended warranties to be a scam where you are pitted against the warranty company. Their objective is to pay as little as possible on a claim, your objective is to get the repair done properly at no cost. They will deny a claim if they can find any reason to do so, e.g. inadequate proof of maintenance performed in a timely manner, etc. Read the contract very carefully. Remember they have a staff of lawyers to write the contract and you have, well, you. If you buy an extended warranty, make sure you have impeccable records. It takes better record keeping than TAXES! Keep receipts, make sure they always show mileage and date for service performed. Make sure that maintenance is performed per manufacturers schedule or in some cases the extended warranty schedule. The second contract had provisions for service (oil change, filter, etc.) that exceeded the Cummins recommendations. There is a big GOTCHA!

Caveat emptor... Let the buyer beware!

I agree with Tom.

Extended service plans are designed to make money for someone else. Take a look at the "Action Line" type columns in Motorhome or Good Sam's magazine - there are always many complaints about how people have been bitterly disappointed in their ESP.

Winnebago makes good products. You should be fine.

It's insurance, that is all it is.

Extended warranty plans require you to prove you have complied with the manufacturer's required maintenance. No proof, claim denied. To comply with the required maintenance plan for all our appliances is cost prohibitive. Much of the required maintenance is just for legal CYA. Put the $s you would have spent in the bank. At the end of the term, you'll still have $s in the account.

I think if you put a pencil to it, that baring a truly catastrophic failure ( which you'll probably have trouble collecting) the plans aren't worth much. For what you pay for one, you can replace most major appliances at a good independent RV repair facility. Looked at them real hard about six months ago and decided they just don't make sense. Some are pure scams as is witnessed by the number of complaints to consumer help columns in recent years.

Wayne,

I couldn't disagree stronger with the prior posts! I am one who will over turn every rock in order to get a deal. I searched high and low after buying my 06 National Tropical in Phoenix, Az. I was offered warranties that were at an outrageous price, $2000 to $3000. I received quotes from Good Sam and several other companies. All of there prices were high and only for a one year contract so they could then raise your premium the next year if you submitted too many repairs. Well, I found Americanrvwarranties.com and spoke to Scott. He is located in Washington State. After getting a quote from him 5 years or 50,000 miles for $1200 with a $50 premium on a warranty called The Plan I couldn't believe it. I was quoted by a dealer for the exact same coverage with the same company for $2500. I contacted the companys administrator to verify if this company was legit. They confirmed everything was good. I submitted my full payment, and my paperwork was processed quickly. I again called the administrator to make sure that my payment and policy was submitted to them. They confirmed all the paperwork was received by them. I recently had some work completed on my coach and the Plan covered almost all of my problems as promised. They covered $800 worth of work.

Wayne, if you didn't do anything yet, check out this website Americanrvwarranties.com and call Scott. He will quickly get back to you with a quote. Mention my name to Scott!

Where your new MH is pretty much covered by its warranty, IMHO I don't think you need an extended service plan yet. However, once the warranty is up on the major items like the engine and transmission then would be the time to get an extended service plan otherwise you are just paying extra for what you are already covered for. I would invest in a towing/break down plan, just in case you do break down your towing is covered. Towing can be very expensive! My MH I bought used its an 05 Journey and I did purchase a CSP through Good Sam. Some may say that is a waste of money, however, it is worth the piece of mind if any thing major does break down and where I have just bought the MH I want to make sure I'm cover until I get to travel in it for a year or better to know the MH inside and out. Hope that gives you some help and answering you question. Good Luck and Happy RVing!

Guest Wayne77590

Well, I just wanted that "peace of mind," so I went ahead with the CSP at $625 a year for 3 years. I did get the exclusionary plan. Yes, I know that many of my items are still warranted but that is soon going to be up and we will be on-travel and I just wanted everything in place - in case. It's only money, right? And, no I will NOT send you any.

Thanks for the inputs. Only time will tell if I made the right choice. I personally hope I never have to use the CSP.

I have CoachNet for roadside assistance. I had them for my last RV and they were good. Again, I hope I never have to use them.

Thanks.

WE also have Good Sam ESP, with a high deductible to cover engine, transmission and our 4 door Norcold refrigerator (replaced under factory warranty at 2.5 years for cracking case). We purchased our plan at the end of the factory warranty. Our previous motorhome was purchased used and I bought a Warranty Experts Plan online for $1675 and a $50 per visit deductible, in 28 months they paid out $3250. I have since heard many horror stories about Warranty Experts being investigated and avoiding claims, I guess we were just lucky. From what I've seen the biggest key getting the claim paid is to have a repair person who understands how to "play the game" and properly fill out forms. I have used repair facilities that won't accept extended warranty work paid by the 3rd party and have been reimbursed by following the "pre-authorization" of work route.

Guest Wayne77590

I have an extended warranty on my 2007 Vue.

If you read my post on "..graphite and Ignitions.." you will see a problem that I may have.

I called, and my extended will cover it. So instead of $375 it will cost me $100.

Just a thousand more to go and I'll catch up.

How can I warn people about a dealer of Fleetwood RV who told me their warranties are still good before I signed the papers, then two days after I take delievery I get a letter stating I fortgot to sign the warrranty wavier for the loan stating I am buying motor home with knowledge of their being no warranty. They pestered both me and my wife several times a day asking for this note to be signed and faxed back. Two different people from the dealership kept calling and started getting nasty attitudes when I kept insisting I was never told. Then we had a problem with motor home. The cargo door kept flying open. Others that they said they would fix before we took delivery started coming undone as well. Bring in the signed note they said and they would fix them. We did so. While we are waiting for the call to pick up motor home, 2 weeks, we got a letter from a bank we have a boat loan on. (we used our old motor home as trade in with a payoff due). SOme how our boat got paid off. Could not figure out what happened until we got our bill for payment on old motor home. Boy did they mess up. They paid off wrong loan. Now they are in a panic. They start calling blaming everyone but them selves. We still had not been able to get doors fixed because service called and said warranty no good. Finance manager told me if i take care of the documents for mistake on boat getting paid off instead of motor home they will go ahead and honor the warranty and fix my doors. I did everything they asked. Picked up motor home; door not fixed. Service said no one instructed them to fix doors, sorry. Now they still owe us for the two extra months payments we made on old motor home made after we traded it in. Have we seen that money? No These people have been doing nothing but lying. The dealership? Olinger Travel Trailers and Camping World. No one there will take responsibility for their actions, our coach is still not fixed, won't get fixed. We even bought the extended 7 year warranty. Guess what? It does not go into affect until the fleetwood warranty expires in THREE YEARS! Then i found out after that it is only a four year extended warranty because three years have already passed.

Guest Wayne77590

First, this forum, and others, are a good place to present your problem. It sounds like you have a legitimate one. You may wish to contact the Better Business Bureau in that area and report them. If you paid by credit card and have good evidence you may be able to file a dispute with the CC company.

Good luck.

I have contacted Phoenix American regarding an extended warranty and they advised they only sell thru dealers. However, they don't have a list of dealers and are not interested in quoting us directly. Our dealer doesn't sell their warranty so I guess they are out of the mix. If there are any other reputable companies out there, please post. Good Sam wants $1925 for 12 months for our coach. Seems a bit high to me. 'The Plan' is at $4200 +/- for 24 months (again too high) but at least they cover pretty much everything.

I do have a quote from Wholesale Warranties.net, which seems to be a broker as they work with several plans. They were the best pricing, but am a bit leery as I found them on the internet and don't know anything about them. The company they are recommending is 'A' rated by AM Best according to them but I don't know the company's name. I wonder if this is one of the scams people are talking about???

Dave & Ronnie

2000 American Dream

I just bought a plan from Wholesale Warranties.....Heard good thing about them....Got a 7 year ,Coach only plan...They went thru a Co.in Ohio..Check everything out before I signed on the dotted line....Little over $1900 for the plan...Only ones I found that covered radiator...also seals and gaskets...and wear and tear....also got tire coverage for 300 more. I have a 2011 Monaco DP with the factory warranty just about up, so I thought I'd better get something. They do have a 15 day and 500 mile waiting period before you can turn a claim in. For me it was just fine,trip around the block.

Time will tell but have some friends who have them and say they never had any problem with a claim...BUTCH

We have had the Good Sams CSP. Cost started at approximately $600.00 a year with a 500 deductible it was $700.00 this year. We have used it once they worked with our service that came to the coach instead of having to be in a traditional shop. They do have some limitations on what they will replace if the exact same model or product in no longer available.

Butch, I was interested in your comments about Wholesalewarranties.net, we to our researching a warranty company and have received a quote from WholesaleWarranties. The actual Motor Home Service Contract is through Performancecare. Would that by chance be the company you are through also? The individual we are dealing with is Daniel, seems very nice but there again we don't know anything about them. The price is right for full bumper to bumper for 60 months/60,000 miles, $100 deductible, $2697. Haven't signed with them as yet, still trying to find out all I can about them. Thanks, Ken

Try acc warranties they will be glad to take your money and if you make a claim after the first 60 days they they say no problem put MH in shop had it repaired owner of acc called me said he changed his mind and didn't want my buisnes any more denied work already done sent me all but $212 back of my money won't answer my calls I turned it over to my cc co will see .

Ken...Thats the one....We just got the warranty on the coach not the drive train cause the motor and trans are warrantied for a long time...we got tires and wear and tear on interior as part of the coverage, also cover gen set...50 ded.

I too had a negative experience with GS, would strongly advise against them.

Specifically, I had a $200 claim stemming from a split boot on my Spartan MM chassis; GS decided that was a gasket, refused coverage. Since I'd not placed another claim, I involved the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and petitioned GS for a refund of premiums paid, about nine months' worth.

GS ignored both me and the BBB.

I've been researching this too. I've had the RV almost 2 weeks and need to decide soon. I'm between Wholesale Warranties.net, (dealing with Daniel as well), and the referral from American RV Warranties, (that NJYurkins mentioned, dealing with Lynn of B&T Marketing). Anyone have any opinions on which way I should go?

My thinking: Warranties in general are written more to protect the provider of a product or service than the receiver of same. They limit what the provider will have to do in case of a bad product or service. An extended warranty is no different other than the product is the plan, so the contract for a ESP is written to protect the provider from paying claims. If the ESP does a good job of writing the warranty, they pay no claims; bad job, they go bankrupt.

Does not mean some people won't get lucky and have a big expense covered, but most will not. Otherwise, there would be no extended warranties offered.

I provide my own extended warranty every time one is offered by keeping the cash :)

My thinking.

We bought a used coach with only 6000 miles, 2-1/2 years old. We knew the sellers, but really enjoyed the peace of mind of the extended 3 year warranty. Normally we never buy warranties, except on laptops.

We had good coverage, which the seller had added, to include the jacks and electric step and slides. We had some trouble with a slide and it was great to have it covered.

One issue was when we had the same problem, 1,000 miles away, they wanted us to go back to the first repair shop. Luckily the AZ shop found it was a different problem.

We also had a major blow up with the company. Even though the jacks were covered, the control panel for the jacks was not covered. Seemed like a fraud, since the seller had paid extra to cover the jacks. So, even though there was a long list of things covered, we certainly had no idea that there would be some significant part excluded. How could we operate the jacks without the controller?

But, they did pay for our meals while we waited for the repairs -- which we ate well, since they were screwing around over the controller.

The only other problem we had was covered under the emissions control warranty, which in CA is longer than the 3 year. The dealership in AZ claimed it wasn't a covered item, even though we had asked about it, so he tried to bill the waranty, instead of Ford. But, when we went and looked in our Ford manual, it was specifically covered. The dealership claimed they didn't realize it, since they used a substitute part, and not a Ford part. BS.

So, just be cautious. There are unscrupulous people in all businesses...

We did buy an expensive extended warranty after our 6 years, but never needed it. Once we got the kinks out things have been great.

My GS ESP is up next month and they quoted me $1800. for 12 months with a $100. deductible. I got a quote from Wholesale Warranties for 6 years with $100. deductible for $2600.. Will check out American RV Warranties and see what they offer.