Sign in to follow this  
garyd

Canadian address but zip code required by us gas stations

I have a US dollar credit card but my registered address is in Canada. Since US gas stations require zip code, I am unable to use at pump.  Tried using the 3 numbers in my Canadian postal code and adding two 0,s, but that doesn’t seem to work.  Any suggestions? 

thanks 

garyd, also Welcome. If you have a Credit Card  what is the billing address? Have you spoken to the CC company? It seems like they would accept your mailing address zip or postal number.

Herman

The problem is not an issue with the cc card company bill.

The problem is that most U.S. gas stations require a 5 digit zip code for security. Canadian zip codes do not follow the same 5 digit pattern.

But, agree, check with either your cc company (surely they have run into this)

OR

Check with a couple of the large gas companies you do business with in the U.S.  Again, they will surely have run into this issue before.

A quick search came up with this:

What is my 5 digit zip code Canada? If prompted for your ZIP code, just enter the three digits of your postal code plus two zeros. So for example, if your postal code is A2B 3C4, the 5 digit number you should enter is 23400. Contact you card issuer if you have any questions.

And this from Master Card: https://www.mastercard.ca/en-ca/consumers/features-benefits/travel-tips/mastercard-pay-at-pump.html

59 minutes ago, wolfe10 said:

The problem is not an issue with the cc card company bill.

Well I actually think it is. The credit card knew he was a Canadian customer and should have provided the information/solution in advance.  

1 hour ago, wolfe10 said:

The problem is that most U.S. gas stations require a 5 digit zip code for security. Canadian zip codes do not follow the same 5 digit pattern.

Yes, I am well aware of that. The Op has already stated he tried the adding zeros.

Bill

5 minutes ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Well I actually think it is. The credit card knew he was a Canadian customer and should have provided the information/solution in advance.  

Bill,

I totally agree, they should provide this information.

I have the same problem with my Norwegian Debit Card (Visa, Bank of Norway) in USA...works fine in all other Countries!  This Summer in Canada, we had to leave CC/Debit B of A Visa in store when I filled up coach!

Thanks for all the response. I checked with cc company, they advised using the 3 numbers in the Canadian postal code and adding two zeros . Problem is that it doesn’t work, because there is no such zip code in the US. Only other solution that I’m aware of,  is to change address to a US mailing address.  Maybe I’ll just have to set up a “ blind” US mailing address during the time spent in the states. Guess I was just hopeful there might be an easier solution....

The down-side of increased security measures_. I hope your CC company can fix this issue for you. If I incorrectly enter my zip, my card is rejected.

14 hours ago, garyd said:

Thanks for all the response. I checked with cc company, they advised using the 3 numbers in the Canadian postal code and adding two zeros . Problem is that it doesn’t work, because there is no such zip code in the US. Only other solution that I’m aware of,  is to change address to a US mailing address.  Maybe I’ll just have to set up a “ blind” US mailing address during the time spent in the states. Guess I was just hopeful there might be an easier solution....

Garyd, your cc company has provided you with the correct solution and in fact it works just fine.  We use our Canadian issued visa and mastercard cc's everywhere in the US including for gas purchases at major retailers like Shell, Sunoco, RaceTrac, Walmart, and at many major truck stops like Petro, FlyingJ and Pilot.  When asked for our ZIP, we enter the 3 numbers from our postal code followed by 2 zeros.  We travel in the US frequently and  have not had a problem in any of the many states we visit in our travels.

I am not sure what is causing your issue but I don't think its the ZIP code work around.....IMHO....

Yeah,  we have US Dollar credit cards too as per the OP.

No issue with those either, they work for us fine as advertised. 

Ian, when I saw you last in PEI...got to do that again!  I'm wondering if you use a US CC in Canada, do you get the minus 25/30% off as I did?  Or is it +25/30%?  My Visa from Norway, depending on rate of exchange, is a +/- for me, when I use in the US, & the same in Europe! 

Confusing.

Yes, I have worked in BC on several times and used US credit cards.always got a better exchange than at the banks,

I just booked a cabin at fishing lodge in BC on US credit card and was charged US dollar even thru all billing was in Canadian dollars.

Jim

Carl, yes, if we use a US dollar cc in Canada, we get the benefit of the current exchange rate which see's a discount which is something like 25 to 30% currently.  If we use our Canadian dollar cc's in the US, then we see the opposite, the current exchange rate see's us paying a surcharge of 25 to 30%.

We're heading south the end of next week. Got to get away from this cold weather. A slight change in plans, we decided to head further south in search of warmer weather so we're headed to Port Isabel Texas.  Will be there for January and February.  Then we're heading to Arizona for March to take in the sites and the FMCA convention in Tucson at the end of the month. We'll definitely need to plan to get together somewhere for a visit....

I have two cards the have zip codes attached  as some company's  will not ship to anything that is not a billing address 

so I have Sumas WA and Moab UT Zip codes as no paper bill addresses 

and yes the  three numbers plus 00 seems to work from postal code 

On 12/17/2019 at 11:15 AM, garyd said:

I have a US dollar credit card but my registered address is in Canada. Since US gas stations require zip code, I am unable to use at pump.  Tried using the 3 numbers in my Canadian postal code and adding two 0,s, but that doesn’t seem to work.  Any suggestions? 

thanks 

We have a Wells Fargo debit card and 00000 works for us.

Clary