rfsod48

Starting generator

Does the generator start off of the house batteries or the engine starting batteries? I am considering removing the starter batteries to charge at home and would like to run the generator while RV is in storage.

Not sure there is "I KNOW how it is wired" answer.

Best advice, remove the ground/negative cable from the chassis/starter batteries and see if the generator starts.

Even if the gen. won' start with the chassis batteries out you can always jump off the house batteries to start the gen. If the gen stops when you disconnect from the house just hook back up while the gen is running.

Herman

American Coach Tradition 2010 (Fleetwood) by start batteries!

Herman, "Just hook back up while the Gen is running." Huh?

If you can run the generator in storage why don't you just run the generator to charge your batteries? You should be running the generator any way.

Bill

Yes Carl, that was my idea. Run the generator every 3-4 weeks for 45-60 minutes, but take the starting batteries home to keep them charged on trickle charger. We were at 12 degrees today!

9 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

If you can run the generator in storage why don't you just run the generator to charge your batteries? You should be running the generator any way.

Bill

I agree Bill; it's double-duty, keep both battery banks charged while adhering to the Onan recommendation to run the genset for 2 hr/month under at least 1/2 load. Furthermore, chassis batteries doe not run down like house batteries-from phantom loads.

OTOH, if the genset starts from coach/house batteries, which are the batteries usually connected to phantom loads, this would not work out well.

19 hours ago, manholt said:

Bill, I think OP is referring to excising gen, not running all the time.

If the OP can run his generator in storage he should be following Onans recommendation to run it at least 2 hours under load each month. This should keep all the batteries charged, if not the time can be adjusted. So explain how this is " running all the time"??

Bill

Carl, we have moved up our leave date to next week. Cold is getting to my wife. We are headed to Aransas Pass For 3 months and then Castroville for a month.

On 12/18/2019 at 5:48 AM, manholt said:

....American Coach Tradition 2010 (Fleetwood) by start batteries!....

They've changed, Carl, my 14 AC Eagle uses house batteries for the generator.

FIVE,,  Compared to this POS, that figures!  My gen will not charge chassis batteries & engine does not charge house batteries...That's how mine is wired.  Who knows, what we might find in Tucson!

Bill, I miss read your post...happens at above 75 years old.  My bad.

Brett, welcome back to the cool weather!

As you know, I'm the second owner.  In 2014, 7 months after purchase, I had the Tech people from Allied look at my coach wiring.  This was at Seven Feathers Resort in OR a week prior to Redmond FMCA Rally.  The cost quoted to me, to make it right, was enough to get a second toad & I would have to go to IN.  I have had Cummings in Hstn look at it and several others, including Motorhomes of Texas.  To best describe it, cluster F.  & $$$.  There is a solar panel on roof, no wires, just the panel.  I can run Fridge on Inverter, but nothing else, that's why I travel with Generator on!

We could join you on your next adventure, just on what I have spent on this coach in 6 years!  Per Linda, time to make a decision.  

4 hours ago, wolfe10 said:

Carl,

Please verify that the alternator is not wired to charge BOTH battery banks.  That would be highly unusual!

Brett,  My Holiday Rambler was wired like Carl's when I purchased it used.  I removed the stock solenoid that you could parallel the coach and chassis with a momentary switch on the dash.  I replaced the solenoid with an ACR and now both battery banks are charged by either the inverter/charger or the chassis engine alternator. The 2 banks are in parallel when and when the voltage of each bank is=>12.4v, when either bank drops below 12.4v the ACR drops out and doesn't parallel the batteries until the chassis battery or the coach battery voltage is >13.6 v .  The only draw back  with the ACR  you have to make sure you don't have the chassis engine running when you have the inverter/chargers in the charging mode because will have the alternator output and the charger output tied together.  I just have to make sure that when the generator is running or when I'm on shore power that I don't have the inverter/charger in the charger mode. I've only forgot this on one occasion and I got a ALT FLT light on the dash, no damage was done.

Jim

2 hours ago, manholt said:

Jim,  I have two 2812 magnum inverter/charger's.  overkill, it's not a Prevost.

Carl, you must pack a load of batteries,  my buddy has 8 in his all electric rig,

Same here, two banks of 4..plus two series 31 start batteries.  I'm all electric! With gen on I can & have, washed cloths & run drier, used dishwasher, 3 AC's going, Supper in crock pot (in sink), all at the same time!  Linda will not let me do that anymore! LOL

On 12/19/2019 at 4:36 PM, manholt said:

....FIVE,,  Compared to this POS, that figures!  My gen will not charge chassis batteries & engine does not charge house batteries...That's how mine is wired.  Who knows, what we might find in Tucson!...

Carl, your wiring is haywire.  AC's of your vintage should be wired so that when on shore power/generator  and the charge is 13.3 or greater, the charge goes through to the chassis batteries.  Like wise, when driving and the charge to the chassis batteries gets to 13.3 or greater, the coach batteries should be getting charged.

We all agree!  I guess the Tech started on Friday and another finished on Monday.  Allied & now REV, does not have a Elect Schematic for this coach!  I flipped the coin & lost, perhaps I would have been better off in my other choice, 2013 Foretravel.