txtiger

Virginia Civil War Battlefields

Question

I am in central FL for the winter and will be heading north sometime April/May. On my bucket list is to go to as many Civil War Battlefields as I can. I have been to Gettysburg several times in the past. Stopped at Vicksburg on my way to FL. I want to go to VA and see the battlefields there. Manssas, Appomattox Courthouse, Antietan, Harpers Ferry, Bull Run etc. What other ones should I visit? What campgrounds are in the area? I would like to camp at one spot for several days and take in as many as I can and then move to another campground for a few days and see the battlefields near by the new campground. 

11 answers to this question

Just do it before school is out for Summer & before the International Visitors arrive!  Start looking for reservations by March!  Some RV Parks don't open until April/May!

If you will be traveling I-95 from Florida to Virginia, I highly recommend a stop in Savanah Ga., Fort Pulaski is located between Savanah and Tybee Island and is real treat to visit since you are into Civil war historical sites. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Pulaski_National_Monument.

https://www.riversendcampground.com/ This a very nice RV park about 15 minutes away from Fort Pulaski, I have been there and loved it.

Thanks wildbill308. I use campground reviews.com a lot but don't know the area that well so looking for suggestions on destinations and campgrounds nearby.  

Thanks manhole. I do plan on going before school is out.

We were in Virginia last summer to attend a wedding. We stayed at Greenville Family Campground in Haymarket VA. I would recommend it highly if you enjoy quite and peaceful campgrounds.

http://greenvillecampground.com/HOME_PAGE.html

The campground is not a high-end luxury place, but it is suitable for larger rigs, is far from the road and quite, and close enough to the major roads to get into the DC area conveniently. Lots of Civil War sites within an easy drive.

Still a working farm and family run. Quiet and dark at night. They have 30-amp sites in the woods and grass/gravel full-hookup 50-amp sites in a grass area.

We've also stayed at the Harpers Ferry KOA. It is a nice campground, one of the better KOA locations we've been to. Lots of sites suitable for larger RVs, but you might have to unhook your toad. If we had kids this would be our choice of campgrounds in season since they have lots of things for them to do.

Love the Gettysburg area. Today I just found this video on the Civil War and the battlefields.org web site. 

It is shame that our children of today are not taught the history we once learned.

Wayne.  Ditto that.  What's wrong with real American History?  Immigrants know more about world History, Geography, America, than we do!  

We're in Three Rivers until the 2nd or 3rd, got a free full hu 50amp, where are you at?

4 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

Love the Gettysburg area. Today I just found this video on the Civil War and the battlefields.org web site. 

It is shame that our children of today are not taught the history we once learned.

Gettysburg is close to home for us. We Love that area.

Carl was out here last summer and missed that area. Maybe next time.

Carl, I'm at home base in Texas City.  Sometime after the 1st of the year I'm finally going to get the left knee replaced. Already had both ACL's reconstructed, right knee replaced, both rotator cuffs repaired and it is time for the left knee to be replaced. I have been putting it off for years but just recently has become unbearable. I put it off because I did not want the down time of PT, but alas, it is necessary.

Joe, long before I met you on this forum we were at Gettysburg area 4 times. First was Lancaster and last 3 were Artillery Ridge CG in Gettysburg.  I am astonished each time I go there with the history of it all. I picture Blue and Grey standing 50 yards away from each other firing musket balls at each other not knowing where they will hit because of their erratic trajectory.  Largest losses of a war in U.S. History. Over 620,000 casualties. Visited Intercourse once. Love Intercourse.