Kparr

Goodyear Endurance RSA's?

I'm looking at replacing the tires on our 2004 Country Coach tag axle. Currently running Goodyear G661 HSA 12R22.5. I found a Goodyear dealer who has the RSA tires on sale for $388.00 each on sale however when I asked about the date code on the tires he said they were dated February 2019 so they have been sitting in the warehouse for almost a year.  So is it a good deal or not? Anyone running these tires?

Kparr.  Welcome to the Forum!

Sorry, but I don't get any rubber older than 8 weeks, prefer fresh one/two weeks!  Got too much (my love & a dog) riding in this coach!  In June, I got new BFG's 315/80's, one week old (8)!  The front tires will be replaced in 3/4 years, rest in 5/6 years!

Kparr, not a good deal at all. 

Even at the sale price, now you'll only have a potential 5 yrs use instead of 6. 

I wouldn't buy a tire more than 2 months old. 

1 hour ago, IanBullock said:

Kparr, not a good deal at all. 

Even at the sale price, now you'll only have a potential 5 yrs use instead of 6. 

I wouldn't buy a tire more than 2 months old. 

Where are you getting 6 years as the life of the tires? Unless something has changed recently, I understood that 7 years is typically used as an expected life.

Using 7 years as the expected life of the tires, you will have tires that have 88% of their expected life left (since 10 months are gone). Simple math will get you the answer - if the price is less 88% of normal, you're doing okay. Best price I can find online for them is $488/ea, which makes your price of $388/ea about 79% of that. Not much of a savings once you calculate the lost 10 months (about 9% savings).

If this were me, I'd see if I could push the down a bit more. After adjusting for the lost 10 months, I'd want to see another chunk of savings to make up for having to go through this 10 months sooner than you otherwise would with the next set. Check out what the best price is for those tires in your area, and then do the math to find a number you're happy with. I'd push for 25%  after prorating for the 10 months, and be happy if they gave me 20%.

All that said, I've read that time sitting on the warehouse rack is not the same as the tires being mounted, carrying a load, and exposed to weather and UV rays. This is one of those things where we each have to choose what our priorities are. I don't see how those tires are any less safe right now than a set with one month old date codes, so if you can make the savings work for you then why not? But, if you're a person that always grabs the milk from the back of the shelf at the store even if the front ones are still good, then you'll probably rest easier searching out newer tires.

Calling tireman9_ your advice is welcome! I would try to negotiate a lower price and buy. Shoot the Toyo, Saillun, Hercules, and other lesser known brands are about $300 ea. now.

Richard, yeah the useful tire life could be 7 years although personally I don't go much beyond the 6 year mark.

You might say I'm a little more "risk adverse" than others...😁

International "Bench Life" is 7 for our/truck tires, 10 for car...but that's in a known parameter!  Then you have to figure in all the variables of the actual driver, road condition, load, PSI, winter surface dressing, care when parked, etc. Sidewall will go out, way before tread.  My last set of Michelin lasted 4 years 10 months & 68,000+ miles!  The set before, went 5+ years and came with coach.  

For the avg. RV'er, I think 6 is a good bench mark.  

two comments

I believe the Goodyear "Endurance" line is only the ST type tires not the RSA which I think are passenger tires.

I think the idea of asking for a discount based on loosing a year of tire life is reasonable.

I also would confirm, in writing that the GY warranty starts when the tires are applied and keep the sales receipt with the full DOT serials written on it just in case.

Kpar --

Happy New Year!   This past August (2019)  I purchased a full set (six tires) of AH37 tires from Hankook at a great price ($365 each) using FMCA's discount program with Hankook --> https://www.hankooktire.com/us/trucks-bus/hankook-ah37.html      While my new Hankooks have only 3500 miles of use, they thus far have performed well and there is no difference in ride / handling versus the OEM Michelin tires I had.

If you're not in a rush to purchase new tires, I encourage you to check Hankook pricing through FMCA.