Factor

Thoughts on what you are looking for

Consignment is neither better/worse than dealer owned.  You will find both gems and money pits at both.  Said another way, if a coach is a decade old and has not received recommended maintenance over its life,  wouldn't matter if owned by a dealership or on consignment.

No, my point about Monaco is that they made both entry level AND high end coaches.  I personally would not consider their entry level coaches-- or anyone elses for that matter.  That does not condemn their higher end products.

8 minutes ago, wolfe10 said:

Houston being the location

But I live in Tennessee..  So should I be thinking of having to travel to look at RVs in general terms.  I was assuming there were places all over the country..

Factor.

Look for dealers in Tenn. Plenty of them there.  Dealers also sell consignment.  Texas is a big State, with moderate weather in winter, 100's of thousand "Snow Birds" travel thru in all 4 directions, from Oct to April every year...We have a lot of places like PPL, a % of those who come here, fly home in a pine box..what to do with the RV? Just one example. You got the same in FL, AL, AZ, CA.  Tenn is late Spring to Early Fall...Lots of RV's!

Chassis.  Pre 06, there was a lot more chassis to chose from, today you have Spartan & Freightliner, the rest returned to commercial or bought out or belly up!  Country Coach like Foretravel made their own.  Holiday Rambler, Monaco had the Roadmaster, Beaver used Gillig or Oshkosh. Even Foretravel used Oshkosh for a while.  Barth used John Deere chassis! 

Tag axle.  Load distribution and ride.  Hands down, nothing rides as good as a coach with tag & they came both on gas front & gas pusher's in the 1970/80's, also DP's in early 1970 and again in mid 80's.

We forgot to mention the Blue Bird, google "The Bird Connection"!  One of the most solid coaches built, Wanderlodge!

8 hours ago, Factor said:

This video is funny to watch.  Since you can look at his son and tell he didn't want to be there.  it so obvious in his look and body language.  Now the company is sold.  

True, but more about how they are made than just the sales pitch. 

Along with what brett said you always want to get a inspection by a qualified inspector on any used coach.

Bill

Go to rvtrader.com. There you will find motorhomes of all sizes and configurations. You can find coaches from dealers and private sellers. You can look within 25 miles to nationwide of your Zip Code. You can find several thousand coaches there, old, new, big or small, with slides or without, and more.

You may not find what you are looking for but can get pricing averages.

On another note. Have you ever driven and stayed in an RV? If not may I advise that you go and rent one for a week and see if you and your spouse like it. If you do enjoy it then you will have an idea of what you want. But if you find that it is just not for you then you are only out the cost of the rental and not stuck with a $100,000 plus debt.

Good luck,

Herman

10 hours ago, Factor said:

Oh true.  I agree the older ones will be well made.  

This is great video as well..  to bad they are gone..  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqR4saIdTLQ

I also noticed in videos like you said not a big difference from a 2006 to 2017.

Factor, if you are on Facebook, there is a Facebook group with older HR, Monaco and Beaver coaches for sale if that is what you are looking for. 

"monaco motorhomes, parts, & accessories for sale" 

4 hours ago, jleamont said:

Factor, if you are on Facebook, there is a Facebook group with older HR, Monaco and Beaver coaches for sale if that is what you are looking for. 

"monaco motorhomes, parts, & accessories for sale" 

I was on FaceBook.  I deleted my account about 2 years ago.  Mostly because I dont like what its done to Society.  It is actually one of the reasons I want to RV..  I want to get back to really "knowing people" like in the old days..😎

I am currently leaning towards HR and Monaco. Seems like they were way ahead of their time.

5 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Have you ever driven and stayed in an RV?

Not yet Herman.  Its on the books to do.   I will plan for a while.  Hope to have a coach by 2021-2