rfsod48

Body repair in Texas

We have had the unfortunate happen to our MH, we were sideswiped by a bulldozer flatbed trailer and all of the passenger bin doors are damaged. Progressive is sending an adjuster to our campground in Aransas Pass when we get there this week, they said we could get repair in Texas or wait until we get home to Michigan in May. Thankfully no on was hurt. The downside to getting repair in Texas is that we would have no place to live for the duration of repair, the upside might be having adjuster here who made the repair estimate. Any thoughts or ideas?

Roland

It was a low trailer so all the lower outside bin doors are chewed up and creased. I imagine they will have to replace all the doors and since my unit is a 2005 that might be hard to find.

Tell the insurance adjuster that you will need a place to live while the RV is being repaired.  They can pony up for an apartment.

in 2014 we had a truck repair and the other fellows insurance paid for our campsite for 3 weeks while the repairs were being done.

Ken

Wow! I can imagine how scary that was.  Does you progressive insurance give you hotel/motel money for stays like this> Also, did the driver of the trailer stop and exchange insurance. If so, and since it was his fault (I'm assuming) his insurance will have to pay for all you expenses. At least that is the way my insurance works.

My 2008 Winni had a bay door and panel damaged by an unmovable object (don't ask!) and Earlene made it stay that way for a couple years. The price for just the door was $2500, then there was going to be the labor of taking the old door off and putting the new one on. I left it that way as she directed, after all, who wears the pants anyhow.  About 2 years later I had enough and there was a body repair next to my RV Repair place. I asked them to take a look and give me a price.  When they gave me the price I said "Fix it!"  Cost was a total of $1200 straightening out the aluminum door and panel and painting.  They did a great job.

That's up the road from y'all in Dickinson, TX If'n you don't find a place nearby.

Now that you mention It we do have a rider on insurance for vacation interruption. I wonder if they could rent a trailer and park it on our site while repair being done. Have to wait till I talk to adjuster. We will need at least 3 new doors as they are torn.

happened in our home state of Michigan which is no fault insurance so other party not involved unless progressive goes after them. 

Roland, 

Where were you when the incident occurred? Can you determine who was at fault? I'm asking because you keep mentioning your insurance policy. If it was the other guys fault then they should pay for everything including a place for you to stay. In the meantime start checking your coach manufacturer and salvage yards to see if you can find replacements. Any where you take it you are talking months in the shop. Finding the parts ahead of time may shorten the repair time.

Good luck and keep us up to date. 

Herman 

Roland.

When I had a bay door replaced by Texas Custom Coach 3 years ago, they took the door to a shop in San Antonio that does Plasma cutting, 3 days and a exact replica was installed & painted.  You might want to call them & ask for the name of the shop.  It saved me 5 weeks & $1,800...my cost was $415 plus paint. I lived in Rig during the 13 days there, 50 amp & water, dumped twice!  Both WBill & Herman knows what my rig looked like, before & after!

Darn glad I don't live in a 'No Fault" State!

Herman, it happened in Michigan, where we have no fault insurance which I hate. Grew up and lived in Ohio for 43 years and if you had an accident with other guy at fault he paid but in michigan you pay no matter who’s at fault. After I see adjuster I will have better idea what can be done.

Are these doors aluminum, inside and outer skin. If so a competent sheet metal shop can make them, if you find the correct sheet aluminum and I can offer that up. Don't ask me how I know. I have made several and additional panels to utilize unused space on a 1999 Safari Panther. Cost from Beaver in Bend was in the stratosphere. I made each for about 250

I think Roland can make out pretty good on this.  But $$$ in hand first. 

Roland, where are you now?  I'll check around down here & see what I can find...We are at other house in Three Rivers!

Roland,

If you are in Lufkin, Texas you are just a short distance from Nacogdoches. There you will find Xtreme Graphics. They are as good as you will find anywhere in the country.

The owners James and Jennifer Stallings are wonderful people and can work with your Insurance Company.

Give them a call at 936-560-5888 and check them out at xtremegrafics.net. 

(tell them Herman Mullins sent you, maybe they will give me a discount on may repair in June when I have and appointment :lol:)

Herman

Roland,

I just talked with James at Xtreme Graphics and he has openings now. He got a lot of work out and has space if you want it.

He will be there till around mid afternoon today.

Herman

I call Kristin and she talked to Jim. They have Paint Booth time now but not fiberglass time.

Carl you are lucky that it is only scratches, they can hop on that right away.

Happy New Year to you & Linda!!!!

Herman

Thanks all for input, didn’t get time to look at forum until later today. We will be in Aransas  Pass tomorrow and hopefully insurance will contact me Thursday . I will call James then. Thank you again for the help. I have done some checking and it might be a possibility to rent a trailer and put it on my site for the duration of the repair. Will hopefully know more Thursday.

Roland