Sign in to follow this  
wvujazzman

Fuel Planning for Key West in April 2020

Question

Hi folks,

We are heading to the Southern Florida Keys in April for a week, and I want to make sure I plan our fuel stops appropriately.  Everything I can see on google maps, and everything I read, says I need to be full before heading out onto the Keys.  For reference, we are driving a 41ft Newmar Dutch Star... so we don't fit into too many places.

What are your thoughts on the best places to fuel up in the southern Florida area prior to hitting Route 1?  We will be coming down I95 from PA.  I have a 100 gallon tank and I'm assuming I'll be at about 8 mpg, so as long as I can fuel up somewhere around Miami, I should be fine to get down and back.  I'm thinking the Snapper Creek Service Plaza on the FL Turnpike... but I've not been there before so I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Eric

7 answers to this question

I was in the Key's 2017, filled up at a Truck Stop on Hwy 1, just past the Turnpike in Homestead.   Also in Key Largo,in 2015.  There is a Truck Stop in Marathon. 

They have a Gas Buddy app for cars & trucks.

As you said, filling up anywhere from Miami south and you should have no issues with fuel.  Refuel when back "on land".

Gas Buddy and Google earth will tell where it is less expensive/easy to get in/out.

If anyone does find themselves in the city of Key West and low on fuel. The shell station at the intersection of Kennedy and Roosevelt has room to maneuver a big rig to refuel. Do not however drive any further into the city with a big rig! https://www.gasbuddy.com/Station/32590  Fuel prices are about 50¢ higher than the mainland.

For retired military, there is a diesel/gas station on Sigsbee island that is large enough to fit my 40' MH with towed.

Use google maps to view the Shell station at street level. https://www.google.com/maps/place/3032+N+Roosevelt+Blvd,+Key+West,+FL+33040/@24.5679037,-81.7695536,47m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x88d1b14f394ad847:0xaec9046998df8731!8m2!3d24.5674848!4d-81.7694095