Factor

3rd party RA and Insurance RA

All:

I first hope you all are well and Happy New Year.

I wanted to point something out maybe you all might not know or consider.  Also it could be related to certain insurance companies.  I also dont own an RV "yet".  So mostly speaking on Autos but assume it relates to RVs.

I have been told before if you use the Insurance RA that is part of you Policy.  It could/will go on you record as a Claim.  This could raise your premium.  This is the main reason I dont use Insurance RA.  Have other heard of this and or experience this raise in premium after using RA related to your policy?

It depends on the insurance company. Some do consider it a claim and may raise your premium at renewal time. Some do not not consider it a claim. But having separate RA designed for RVs is good to have because some insurance towing will send someone who will not be able tow an RV, nor be able to change a tire on an RV. 

44 minutes ago, txtiger said:

It depends on the insurance company. Some do consider it a claim and may raise your premium at renewal time. Some do not not consider it a claim. But having separate RA designed for RVs is good to have because some insurance towing will send someone who will not be able tow an RV, nor be able to change a tire on an RV. 

Yep. Agreed.  Just easier to keep separate IMHO.

Factor, since you don't have or had any form of RV....Scroll up & read my initial reply!  You can have separate RS, no guarantee, you'll get what you need,  when you need it. 

IMHO, RA is a waste. If you’re tech savvy and have the internet at your fingers you can open more options for yourself than any RA. They have a select list to pull from, you could have many more options. They also might be more responsive since they are not working at a reduced rate. 
One could argue that the services minus materials are free with RA, but there is a fee for it. If you use it that’s often you need to look into why and correct your maintenance practices or bad habits that are causing your frequent breakdowns. 

6 hours ago, manholt said:

Factor, since you don't have or had any form of RV....Scroll up & read my initial reply!  You can have separate RS, no guarantee, you'll get what you need,  when you need it. 

Carl,

I did read your post they are all good.  Please understand my post is just information.  I also used the words "could", "certain" and "if".  I you don't get penalized by your Insurance company then all good for you.  I know some insurance companies do.

Here is what Clark Howard points out https://clark.com/insurance/when-not-to-contact-your-insuran/

Maybe check your CLUE report and see for sure.  Again just info..

58 minutes ago, IanBullock said:

RA at $74 a year a waste? You must be kidding?

Nope. I had it and canceled it. Needed it twice 1st time “sorry we are unable to locate service in your area” I changed my tire myself (installed an 11 year old spare). Found a local tire shop on Thanksgiving, (I wasn’t running that old spare the remainder of our trip) that our provider called and they refused the service call. The tire mechanic explained that he wasn’t coming out for $25.00 when their holiday rate was $100. He sold me a new tire, put it on and I was out the door. 

2nd time they “couldn’t locate a tire”, I changed it myself (car this time) went up the road, DW called a Walmart, they had it in stock we drove in and had it replaced. Plus it was a 2 hour wait.

If I look back at all of the money I spent on that annual charge I spent more money on that than I ever spent replacing tires on the road. 

I carry a spare, jack, tools and torque wrench in the DP now and the power of the internet for assistance should we need it. Might not work for everyone, but it works for us.

58 minutes ago, jleamont said:

I carry a spare

I wondered if some coaches have spares.  Aren't the back rims different though.  Where you you have it mounted?  

Well I disagree and think it's worth every penny. In the last 20 years I have used it 4 or 5 times and each time the service has been great. 

$74 is cheap for RA, IMHO....

To each his own, I suppose...

Ian, your result's are normal.  Most of mine, since 1970's with Good Sam, has been problem free..at most a 3 hour wait.  Last time I had a flat on coach, GS wanted to tow me to a garage in Houston, 80+ miles, I was 2 miles from Livingston, TX.  Told them local...NO!  I cancelled and called #311, that's DPS (hwy Patrol) LEO was there with tire truck in about 15 minutes, new tire & on my way $400+, same as GS road service would have cost me!  

Today, I'm not going to change a 315/80/22.5 myself...Joe L is 30 years younger than me & has the tools!  I see his point.

Factor, interesting read...CLUE, never heard about it...sponsor by Progressive.  

10 hours ago, Factor said:

I wondered if some coaches have spares.  Aren't the back rims different though.  Where you you have it mounted?  

Not normally. Our Type C had one underneath on a winch, our A had nothing. I bought a wheel and tire, it and it resides in one of the basements. Most coaches with aluminum wheels only have the rear outer in aluminum and of course the front. I switched ours to all aluminum, the only difference is what side is polished. I can live with an ugly wheel until I get home and break them down and switch them around. 

10 hours ago, Factor said:

Some do, some don't. We carry a mounted spare which rides in its own compartment behind the front bumper.

Most coaches have the same size rims all around. As mentioned above, the only difference is that some with aluminum rims have a steel wheel on the inner wheels of the rear duals. You can mount two aluminum wheels, but you'll need longer studs to do it safely in most cases. But, in nearly every situation a steel wheel/tire can be used as a spare in all tire positions. It might look odd to have one steel wheel showing, but it will work till you get the flat fixed.

There are many opinions on whether or not it's wise to carry a spare. Kind of like asking what's the "best" brand of oil to use. Guess it all depends on which set of hassles you prefer: The hassle of carrying a spare or the hassle of not having one when you need one.

3 hours ago, richard5933 said:

There are many opinions on whether or not it's wise to carry a spare. Kind of like asking what's the "best" brand of oil to use. Guess it all depends on which set of hassles you prefer: The hassle of carrying a spare or the hassle of not having one when you need one.

I don't have a place to carry a spare, so I don't. Some find room for an unmounted tire in their storage bays but I don't have room. So I will just keep on keeping on. 

I agree that you could do as good finding service now days. But the RS service has a list all ready and knows the area. I do recommend that if you don't like the answers you are getting from your RA to do some checking on your own. 

Now let's start something about "What oil is best?" That can run for 8-10 pages  of replies.:D

Bill

3 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

"What oil is best?"

I like Olive oil.  Low smoke point and good taste..😎

also related to engine oil I just recently learned what the W was for 🥶 

learning never gets old. 

17 minutes ago, Factor said:

I like Olive oil.  Low smoke point and good taste..😎

But who is really watching to insure it is "Extra Virgin"😂

Bill

I don't think so, but then that's one item, I always keep on hand.  If memory serves me, I have used GS for a dozen or more blown tires, blown Transmission & tow, blown manifold gasket & tow, engine fire & tow!  

Net coach. Used one time for a awning that blew off & took about 20% off siding with it & tow!

I only wish I remember, how I got in touch with GS to get service...75% of the above, we had no cell phone or computer and Al Gore had not invented the internet yet.  Think 1967, first coach to mid 1980's! :o