wildebill308

Handicapped equipped RV

Bob Tiffin (thanks to his sons) had to pay a $10 million dollar lawsuit in 2006...not a good year for Tiffin!  Don't remember why.

Most manufacturers make handicap coaches!

Not near as many as you'd think or hope, Carl.

Newmar makes a semi-standard accessible Class A, but Winnebago refers you to its commercial division and builds it "custom" -- only 6 or 7 options for modifications to their standard designs. But, that's still only 2 vendors offering "stock" accessibility options; where are all the Thor product lines, for example?

We got one of the last Born Free mobility Class C models, because their commercial division (Dodgen Industries) would take a floor-plan grid, build the fiberglass shell in whatever length desired, and design everything down to the cabinets door pulls. But, they're out of business now, and we're going to have to sell ours this year. 😪  Otherwise, there are no Class C builders offering accessible models.

For the most part, the accessible coaches we've seen were modified post-construction. (Granted, our pre-purchase research is a couple of years old, but DW still keeps current with the rehabilitation magazines, etc. She's a retired Certified Rehabilitation Counselor / Supervisor with VR in 2 states, as well as a post-polio quad, so there's a vested interest.)

Anyone considering an accessible RV, we'd be glad to discuss our experiences and research.

Happy New Year, everyone.

1 hour ago, wayne77590 said:

Isn't the MAX Length for a MH on the roads, 45 feet?

Don't know, apparently they have been getting by for a few miles. Never heard of anybody getting stopped to be measured. 

Bill

Mine say's 45', per the Canada Ferry system (they use laser), coach is 47' 3" and with toad 64' 4".  Both Prevost & Newell make 47' coaches,, probably close to 50' !  Holiday Rambler came out with a 51' in mid 1980!  

They go by length of chassis, not coach...measure yours from front of front cap to back of end cap!  Most 36' are in fact 38' or 39'+!

8 hours ago, manholt said:

Most 36' are in fact 38' or 39'+!

Not uncommon at all. Ours is a 40’ but measures 41’2”. Now my friends Tiffin is a 40’ and measured 39’11”

Rather confusing to say the least.  Friend for North Foreign Land rented a storage place in Texas. When he backed in the front of his 45" stuck out about 8 or so inches. Could not close the door. Had the ladder not been there it might have been okay.  Also, the owner of the facility was there and it was supposed to hold a 45' coach. Guess they didn't take into consideration the structural metal beams.

Bad architect for sure.

Herman, that would be WildBill, no clue why!

Wayne, have your friend look at Blue Wave Storage...50'x20'x16' interior dimension. I had one for 3 years with 30 amp!

On 1/4/2020 at 4:49 PM, hermanmullins said:

Ok now back to the OP Handicap Equipped RV.:)

Herman

Exactly Herman.  Ours is a 2009 Newmar Allstar 4188 with a lift and a back door.  Bathroom is totally wheelchair accessible and my wife can push her wheelchair down the aisle when the slides are in.  Only three of these made by Newmar at that time.  However, Newmar has been making wheelchair accessible units since then in the Canyon Star and Dutch Star models.  Maybe more.  We met Maylon Miller in Nappannee, IN in 2010 and asked him to continue making these models.  I guess he thought about it and took it to heart.

Don

I remember the Allstar...I wanted the toy floorplan, never could find one!  Newmar will put in the handicap floorplan in any of their DP units!

The handicap floor plan is available in the Dutch Star 4311, Canyon Star 3911 and the Ventana 4311 models. When a used one hits the market it only lasts a few days.

Jim S.  You can request the 4311 on the other coaches, we know one who got the King Air for his son & another for himself.

CampNurse.  Welcome to the Forum! :)

If you would list in your Signature, the type of RV, make, model, year!  We can better be able to help you with any inquiries you may have!

Carl